Shooting fitness

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IF fitness and exercise is so good for you.........WHY do people fight to park so close to the doors at their gym  ??  🙄
Anyone who knows me will be suprised that i even joined one but i once arrived at a gym (im a wheelchair user)and all the disabled bays were full with able bodied desk jockeys tacking there exercises, idiots could of shaved 10 mins off the gym time jogging from the far side of the car park.

Anyone who knows me will be suprised that i even joined one but i once arrived at a gym (im a wheelchair user)and all the disabled bays were full with able bodied desk jockeys tacking there exercises, idiots could of shaved 10 mins off the gym time jogging from the far side of the car park.
Or walking there in the first place  ?

If you want to find out how unfit you are ,🤪,  book a driven clay day . Shooting 50 or so shots  in  7 or 8 minutes per drive with a mate stuffing the cartridges for you   , gun  down -  select a target - mount gun - shoot - eject  - stuff  , start again . Non stop . 

200 cartridges like that before lunch and you realise how much of your body and how many muscle groups you  really use shooting ! 
We’ve booked such a  pre season humiliation in September , team of 3 per peg so we might even double gun ,
Did a sim day a couple of weeks ago. It was my first one and I was praying for the whistle to go at the end of some of the drives😂. My left arm was absolutely knackered by the end of the day.

the greatest world champion this world has ever seen and ever likely to see is a big chap it has not stopped him being the very best.no doubt he will slow down as all of us will as we age.i wonder how many of the super fit would use a golf cart if they could be as good.

the greatest world champion this world has ever seen and ever likely to see is a big chap it has not stopped him being the very best.no doubt he will slow down as all of us will as we age.i wonder how many of the super fit would use a golf cart if they could be as good.
Greatest we have seen would have to be richard Faulds by a long stretch. 

and since the big chaps have won the sport has changed 10 fold. U notice now the veterans from this years works in that heat were in shape. The mens class are now completely different shapes 

fitness and nutrition now play a huge part 

I doubt driving around in a golf cart and wearing 4XL clothes would help anyone being a World Champion.

George has been using some kind of aid for years. I remember him  carrying a folding stool round the course when I worked at the Classic and a few years back he drove all the way round the course in his Rangie at a Westfield Fitasc. Whilst I realise Westfield has about 300 -400 yards of uphill pathways it shouldn't be a problem for someone of George's age in otherwise normal health. I'm at least 20 years older than him and I walk it carrying my gear without a 2nd thought and without stopping. 

Regular exercise or working out may not be to everyone's taste, but watching people I know - or have known - sacrifice their mobility through lack of exercise or being overweight (or often both) is sad to see and I'm sure we'd all hate see George having to quit shooting for that reason.

As one of the top coaches I have known once said to be, “if you get to the last stand of a shoot still feeling good, chances are your fit enough, you won’t miss a target by being over fit. However if you get to the last stand feeling exhausted, tired and breathless this can cause you to miss a target, and that one target could be the difference between winning and coming second. It’s your choice how much effort you want to put in”  And a truer word has yet to be said on the subject IMO

Jonz

I can't think of a situation where better physical health is a detriment.

There's also movement in shooting that modern day life can actually limit. If you work 12 hours at a desk every day your core and shoulder mobility to make turns will really suffer.

Someone already mentioned the effort of holding a weight out at extension.

Ultimately your body will adapt to its regular circumstance. If that's sitting down and not much else, good luck coping with a demanding sport like shooting.

he aint done bad so far.how does your record compare.
No, he did very well. But that kind of experience and talent is very rare. 

And because I'm far away from those skills I have to try to make it a bit easier for me.

A Doctor friend that I shoot with kept telling me that I should be going to the gym every week. I did this and commented about not really feeling any fitter, it was 6 months before he told me I should actually be going IN when I got there  😅 

Everyone makes their choices.  If you choose not to optimize your performance capabilities that is certainly your option.  Someone else's talents, physical condition, and habits do not affect what you do or how well you perform.  That is entirely up to you.

i watched some video of george winning in america i believe in april.there were others in the competition who were younger and no doubt fitter and in some a lot lighter but he came through to win.

Last edited by a moderator:
GD is a exceptional clay shooter who's build doesn't seem to be holding him back from competitive shooting for now anyway.

How it's going to impact him in other ways is yet to be seen, and I'm sure like most people of the larger build has already been advised that he needs to reduce weight, if he has every been to see a Doctor at least

Says someone who has had that conversation and not that 'large' by any means. They go by 'statistics show' that if your xyz your chances of xyz increase by etc, if you get what I mean

So exercise and diet are important even if your not a athlete  

Being multiple word champion or not, being extremely overweight it just not healthy and will no doubt lead to serious health conditions.

Just look at the ICU Covid stats for one.

If people took healthy lifestyles a bit more seriously, then the NHS would not be in the state it is and I probably wouldn't be as busy as I am at work...

Loads of ways of getting\staying fit, just use Dr Google.

That said, I'd like to be able to shoot like GD. 

Being multiple word champion or not, being extremely overweight it just not healthy and will no doubt lead to serious health conditions.

Just look at the ICU Covid stats for one.

If people took healthy lifestyles a bit more seriously, then the NHS would not be in the state it is and I probably wouldn't be as busy as I am at work...

Loads of ways of getting\staying fit, just use Dr Google.

That said, I'd like to be able to shoot like GD. 
Spot on there, I have lost count of the number of people who get older and waddle along with a walking stick with obvious mobility problems. Yet mostly are many stones over weight. Makes you wonder what they would be like if their limbs were not under so much stress carrying all that extra fat. You are also correct about covid and its effect on the over weight. When covid came along it motivated myself  to shed a couple of stone and get within my bmi and I feel so much better for doing so,

However, one point of caution. I had a gun with a standard stock and after loosing the weight it no longer fitted 😀

there is no dount that being overweight will in time have health consequences however my response was because it seemed to be going that to be good at this sport you need go be of athletic build.there are many great shots out there who are large and winning.

there is no dount that being overweight will in time have health consequences however my response was because it seemed to be going that to be good at this sport you need go be of athletic build.there are many great shots out there who are large and winning.
Yes its true, Darts also seems another sport where the same applies

Back