Shooting fitness

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MK82

I'm sure this topic has been covered already, but does anyone recommend any specific exercises to increase fitness for clay shooting? 

I'm sure this topic has been covered already, but does anyone recommend any specific exercises to increase fitness for clay shooting? 
A good level of general fitness is probably all that’s required. I work on improving my cardio vascular endurance as a fit body equates to a fit mind. Above all, condition the mind towards a focused performance. This, of course, is easier to say than do but starts at least a week before any event I’m competing in. Structured training on the layout to address any weaknesses followed by several nights of good rest beforehand. Don't worry too much about diet but make sure it’s healthy and in moderation. Absolutely avoid stodgy foods immediately before the event. Cooked breakfasts are certainly off the menu. During the event drink water or something similar little and often. Avoid carbonated drinks, especially those with lots of sugar.

If you make a shoot-off having shot early get away from the ground and give your mind a rest. I usually head to my hotel room for a while or at least well away from other competitors. If you look at the training regimes of almost all the top clay shooters you’ll find they follow something along these lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever works for you is right,we are all different !For me just getting back into regularly shooting helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. And any tips on building strength in arms and shoulders? This seems to be my weak point... 

But seriously.. just look at our present world champion. Mid fifties and casts a shadow like a pub table and umbrella. Clearly it’s not an aerobic sport, but feeling well, not bloated with recently eaten food, well hydrated and mentally calm are all great things. Not sure actual exercises for fitness are specifically a critical area to shoot well. 

Thanks everyone. And any tips on building strength in arms and shoulders? This seems to be my weak point... 
I'm a believer in physical fitness and for many years I've worked out with weights 2-3 times a week. We have a selection of hand weights and kettlebells at home as well as a bench and a cross trainer all set up in a spare room (kids have grown up and fled the nest). Under strict instructions from the oncologist I'm not currently pushing the cardio-vascular stuff too hard.

I have set of dumbells from York Fitness and they came with a poster size sheet with pictures and text presenting about 16 different exercise routines covering the whole body. And of course YouTube is your friend.

Strengthening the upper body, back and shoulders is relatively simple, but legs, core and balance take commitment.

So that's what I do, but then I enjoy exercise and have done since I spent a couple of years doing farm work after college. 

But seriously.. just look at our present world champion. Mid fifties and casts a shadow like a pub table and umbrella. Clearly it’s not an aerobic sport, but feeling well, not bloated with recently eaten food, well hydrated and mentally calm are all great things. Not sure actual exercises for fitness are specifically a critical area to shoot well. 
Certainly doesn’t hurt. 

for gym or home exercise message me and I’ll point u in the correct direction. 

as for what Will said I agree but strange how all his last major wins comes with use of a golf cart. When physical endurance comes into play there does seem to be a huge drop in performance of the larger shooters 

feel good shoot good 

Certainly doesn’t hurt. 

for gym or home exercise message me and I’ll point u in the correct direction. 

as for what Will said I agree but strange how all his last major wins comes with use of a golf cart. When physical endurance comes into play there does seem to be a huge drop in performance of the larger shooters 

feel good shoot good 
Have also seem some AA/AAA chaps go round a normal CPSA registered shoot in buggys. Not big lads either. It does seen to allow them to zoom round a course and then go off and do another shoot on the same day, while the rest of us mortals are still waiting for the rest of our squad to finish a stand before marching off to the next one. On longer courses and in weather extremes, that's got to have a significant impact on performance

I also wanted to train a bit for shooting, so I found a shortish barbell that weighs a fair bit more than my gun and I exercise with that. Lifts and holds with extended arms to develop strength and stamina in holding the gun up. I do various exercises so I don't just do one part but I look after each counterpart too. My gun started feeling lighter and I don't easily wear out over extended shooting. Without detriment to those with impairments, I'd personally feel like a right muppet riding a golf cart to participate in a 'sporting activity'. Likely I'll change my mind over the years, but it's not a slope I'd like to start sliding on.

If you want to find out how unfit you are ,🤪,  book a driven clay day . Shooting 50 or so shots  in  7 or 8 minutes per drive with a mate stuffing the cartridges for you   , gun  down -  select a target - mount gun - shoot - eject  - stuff  , start again . Non stop . 

200 cartridges like that before lunch and you realise how much of your body and how many muscle groups you  really use shooting ! 
We’ve booked such a  pre season humiliation in September , team of 3 per peg so we might even double gun ,

I've got to say I find the hole fitness thing bizarre!

Folk talking about hydration and recovery after shooting 200 clays. What do these people do for a living?! 

I'm 44 and graft 10-12 hours a day. Hard physical work in all weathers. A clay shoot is a day off for me! If I'm thirsty I'll have a drink of water. I don't need a foil blanket and a mars bar!

PM.

I don't workout specifically for shooting and my routines incorporate as many muscle groups as possible. I have several fixed hand weights and various weights for the adjustable dumbells which are pretty much left at about 18lbs each, whereas my clay gun weighs a lot less at 8lb 3oz. I also have an 8kg kettlebell for a whole different set of exercises. I'm not trying to bulk up and I don't use any build up additives in my normal diet, but even as an old guy, simply keeping fit matters to me. 

IDK if keeping fit improves shooting scores but it can't hurt them and even at my advanced age, to be fit enough to take on a recent 14.5 mile cross country hike with one of my sons - with no ill effects whatever - is to me, one of life's bonuses that the majority of people my age simply couldn't enjoy.

Back