Shooting car

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm went for the 3.0D Porsche Cayenne, 8 speed auto, tiptronic paddle shift with more options than I can remember
Sensible choice. The Macan is a super looker but the smart money goes on the Cayenne. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the Cayenne, as a used example, a good choice for those of us on a lower budget? Luxuary motoring, with German engineering and sporting prowess?
Never owned a Porsche but I'd have a new Cayenne in a heart beat, very nearly did this time round instead of the X5 but the Beemers have been sooo good on reliability and fuel I just couldn't risk the unknown of economy and real world running costs with the Cayenne and to be fair they're a tad more to buy or lease anyway.

Used is an entirely different kettle of fish, according to Autotrader a typical diesel Cayenne falling between £20-£40k scores 4.4 stars out of 5 for ownership, excellent buy in other words but unfortunately these scores won't have necessarily been awarded by people running used ones ! Used money buys 60-70k miles examples which may have served their first couple of owners very well but will at some point bite the subsequent owners hand, I bet even German (or Japanese) engineering can't pre-empt wear and tear. 

By all means buy a minter owned by a proper bloke/lass from new for £14k and don't worry too much about the 100k plus miles but would I personally buy one for £30k and expect Beretta 682 levels of reliability, probably not.

:fie:  The shooting world is full of dreamers, hand reared boys and TYRE KICKERS! :fie:  . 

Vehicles of any kind lose a fortune as soon as they leave the dealer and are depreciating asset throughout their lives, only ever costing you money. The only choice is how much of your hard earned your prepared to lose over how short a time.

2010 3.0 diesel tiptronic S with 35k on the clock, 1 owner FSH and £9k of options will set you back around £40k, the drive is unbelievable, trim and toys that will keep you interested for ages. Keep in mind that this probably cost £75-£80k new and its a lot of car.

So depending on your budget there are achievable dreams, ignore cyreeel, in his world a Robin Reliant is posh.

about all the cars mentioned are not 4x4 in the true sense,, most will get stuck on a wet field, never mind `offroad`  !  if you must drive a tinky-winky enhancement  try a GTR,, or if a bit hard up, an EVO or STI,,,personally  think a new `exotic` is a waste of money,, might as well stick with a Honda civic,,,

just my opinion of course,,,   :biggrin:

I have a Vauxhall Astravan. It's the second one I've had. First one I had for 11 years, the current one I've had for 3 years so far. In all that time I've never found a shoot I couldn't get into (and out of).

They both carry all the equipment you could possibly want (including a fair pack of dogs if required), do so cheaply in terms of fuel and depreciation (1.7TD), and all in reasonable comfort.

The best part for me is you can only carry a maximum of one passenger so the conversation about how many clays were "left out there" (or how many pheasants were obsured by the sun) is kept to a minimum on the journey home, and if you do stop for a bite to eat on the way home it's a cheap round. Bliss!!   :biggrin:

Last edited:
2 seater pick-up has the same advantages, though in the past I have played with the idea of something like a Berlingo with serious off road tyres. What I have observed though is that [SIZE=14.3999996185303px]fat tyres are crap in snow, [/SIZE]narrow tyres are far better. 

Off topic but Ref tyres, most normal cars these days are fitted with Summer Tyres as standard, these are more often than not, fairly low profile. I reckon just fitting narrow All Season Tyres on a front wheel drive car will get most people pretty much anywhere most of us need to go. 

So, unless you live up a hill in the middle of nowhere a 4x4 is a more a "want" than a "need", not that I think there's anything wrong with that  :biggrin:  

For me though, I'd rather have a little run about for the muddy lanes etc and keep my "proper" car for the fun. 

2 seater pick-up has the same advantages, though in the past I have played with the idea of something like a Berlingo with serious off road tyres. What I have observed though is that fat tyres are crap in snow, narrow tyres are far better.
Bryn

my Berlin go multi space Is xtr model with higher suspension than bog std one take seats out in thirty seconds hey presto a van. Great drive great mpg great spec and all for less than seventeen k brand new. All things considered the best vehicle I have ever had but no street cred but I am past all that I just buy what fits.

Shooters are funny people, they struggle to justify spending say £10-15k on a gun... which will last then for as long as they will live and even if they do want to chop it in will get anything up to half what the paid after twenty odd years of ownership. On the other hand they will spend £40k on a car which will lose them the cost of the gun in the first two years of ownership! Not my money but whatever floats your boat I suppose :)

Shooters are funny people, they struggle to justify spending say £10-15k on a gun... which will last then for as long as they will live and even if they do want to chop it in will get anything up to half what the paid after twenty odd years of ownership. On the other hand they will spend £40k on a car which will lose them the cost of the gun in the first two years of ownership! Not my money but whatever floats your boat I suppose :)
And what's more they won't wash the car for some bizzarre reason related to it being 'uncool'.

http://www.shootclayforum.com/uploads/monthly_11_2014/post-767-0-84073000-1416503660.jpghttp://www.shootclayforum.com/uploads/monthly_11_2014/post-767-0-06075300-1416503631.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              This This is for the attention of Maddmatt re., "ignore Cyreeel in his world a Reliant Robin is posh"

Attachments

• e bay 127.jpg
    e bay 127.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 0
  • e bay 128.jpg
    e bay 128.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 0
ARRGH!! hand has been somewhat forced, L200 in an induced coma while I decide WTF to do with it. Mrs Bryn has just landed a new job (more hours better pay) so we need 2 vehicles NOW.

Just been to look at a ropey old Berlingo which at least looks as if it'll last 6 months, which will buy me time to 1. see if a van will do as a second/shooting vehicle, 2. get the L200 sorted so I can trade it in against a newer something or other.

Back