Semi Automatics at top level.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sibaldib

I know I am in danger of being lambasted by the slightly less enlightened members, but is there any one that competes regularly at the top level in English Sporting or English Skeet using a semi auto?

If not , why not? Is it the stigma that the British still attach to semi autos, or is something to do with the way they handle etc?

I realise that the trap boys don't like the ejection issues but that shouldn't effect sporting or skeet. And before anyone resurrects the old thread about s/a users leaving their cartridge cases all over the place, I probably see more o/u users on a Sunday letting theirs eject just anywhere as i do s/a users.

Hopefully someone can provide some positive views and that this post doesn't go off topic before reply 8!

good shots seem to perform well and put big scores in  at auto shoots ,   must be reasons why they  choose not to use them regularly ? 

Duncan Lawton was very successful with an auto, and Mars bars! The first person to shoot 100 straight in a registered sporting event.

With ref to semi,s being messy with cartridges.

Why do o/u,s sxs,s have ejectors?

Auto,s are unreliable need constant cleaning / attention while out shooting as the empty has to come within the action before its spat out. The gas is also dirty.

Same choke on the stand. So if you got a close bird then a report distant what do you do?

Some on here cannot even work out a snap cap, they got no chance with an auto.

They are great fun to shoot. The semi shoots are all well attended.

I would think any one good with o/u would be good with a semi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rosso I'm not convinced about the constant cleaning and attention. A recent thread on a US forum asked owners how often they cleaned their autos - and it was apparent that quite a few regard cleaning as being something they do at the end of the season just prior to putting their guns away. My own cleaning routine isn't onerous, and of course there's only one barrel...

Our loose group of four that meet on Tuesdays down here have over the past six months seen unreliability from  OU and SxS. My own auto suffered a busted circlip this month, the replacement part was less than a fiver including postage and took about 2 minutes to fix. The bills for the run into lots more. Lots and lots.

SxS guns have ejectors purely as a throwback to the early days, when gunmakers were desperate to offer features that would enable the new breed of wealthy shooters to put more shots in the air in a given time. It then became 'de rigeur' to have an ejector gun, despite the fact that the vast majority would very rarely be presented with that many birds in so rapid a succession. Ejectors at a clay ground are completely pointless. Even thos who have perfected the "twist 'n turn 'n open 'n flick-the-empties-into-the-bin" manoevre are jeopardising their barrels, which can make expensive contact with unfamiliar metal cages. Much better to pick them out from the exposed extractors of a non-ejector and put them in the bin.

Your point about choke is valid. Even the slickest shot isn't going to change chokes between "on-report" birds!

The original post almost begs the question "Why two barrels?" A hang back to be sure, but one that has shaped the sport.

I think all top shots would use them regardless of cleaning requirements, reliability issues, choke limitation, shuffle distraction, the need for glasses because of hot ember blow back, random ejection etc etc etc, IF they handled as well as a good O/U and were as easy to score well with. 

The no.1 reason is lack of O/U league handling.

To avoid breakdowns, jamming, broken O rings ( Remmie) always good to wipe down the gas system why wait for a problem.

My Macwet gloves have been shredded on the ejectors pulling fired shells out.

I love watching the different get the shells in the bin techniques. The best one is when they eject two shells into mid air and with the other hand swipe them in the bin.

One choke would not matter to the top shots they shoot tight all the time,

How do you know. You would be suprised what they use. They tell us that so we use full and full then they beat us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back