'Seeing shot' in the air

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy some tracer shells.
Do not do this ^

Sorry but tracers are banned at practically every ground in the country and they are not accurate as the tracer part is often going much slower then the lead shot so gives you a false sense where the shot is going. Reason most grounds ban tracers is they are a fire hazard, in case you were wondering...

A few weeks ago Tim Greenwood came along to one of my local shoots with me. After watching several of our group shoot a couple of stands he picked up that two of the clubs best shots were making a couple of small errors.

He gave them both some advice which they listened to and tried what he told them. The result was that one of them went on to take High Gun with 88x100, by far the best score that he's ever shot. He then followed this up 2 weeks later by taking High Gun again with 84x100.

He picked up that the other person had a variable eye dominance issue which was costing him a few targets every round.

I have probably only ever seen the shot cloud twice and on those occasions I was wasn't even looking for it specifically.

As for telling a fellow shooter where he is going wrong,well I try very hard not to because I'm probably wrong.

Also there are only two people in the group that I shoot regularly with that I take notice of and they are usually right.

Vic.

Reading most of these replies you would think that every miss can be explained by pick up points-hold points .foot position stance timing gun mount.anything but getting the lead wrong.

Well all of those things you mentioned, if done incorrectly will lead to a miss, whether that is leed or line, the gist of the answers were based on, it seems every time when someone misses, its because they were behind, when in fact it could be something else...

If a coach told me I'd be coached by him watching my shot I'd leave him well alone!!! Good coaching is done by watching down someone's barrel and imagining what sight picture you'd be seeing to hit that specific clay. Obviously swing speed and technique also need to be recognised like fuzrat said and it takes a long time to do it to a good standard. The wad is never a good indication of anything!

If a coach told me I'd be coached by him watching my shot I'd leave him well alone!!! Good coaching is done by watching down someone's barrel and imagining what sight picture you'd be seeing to hit that specific clay. Obviously swing speed and technique also need to be recognised like fuzrat said and it takes a long time to do it to a good standard. The wad is never a good indication of anything!
Quite right I see so many people missing targets through poor foot position when being 'coached' that it's unbelievable. I now only help if I am asked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite right I see so many people missing targets through poor foot position when being 'coached' that it's unbelievable. I tend to keep my opinions to myself these days only helping when I am asked.
...much to the relief of many!!!

My son took these for me when shooting at Oak edge. The first is a friend shooting his semi. The second you can see the cart ejecting from the gun and the second is of me. You can see the clay just to the left of the fork in the tree. I set the camera to "SPORT mode" Shutter speed to 1000 FPS on continuous shoot. It was a little dark that day and I think it helped with the exposure. I've taken some where the clay is being broken using the same set up. My camera is a Canon EOS 450 Digi. I've got some more but at the moment I can't seem to find them. Hope you enjoy looking at them. Malc

http://www.shootclayforum.com/uploads/monthly_08_2013/post-470-0-21245800-1375373971.jpghttp://www.shootclayforum.com/uploads/monthly_08_2013/post-470-0-45958300-1375373980.jpghttp://www.shootclayforum.com/uploads/monthly_08_2013/post-470-0-54874200-1375373983.jpghttp://www.shootclayforum.com/uploads/monthly_08_2013/post-470-0-59856700-1375374367.jpghttp://www.shootclayforum.com/uploads/monthly_08_2013/post-470-0-20040200-1375374603.jpg

post-470-0-30361200-1375374487.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_00151.jpg
    IMG_00151.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 0
  • Ranton (6).JPG
    Ranton (6).JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Ranton (6).JPG
    Ranton (6).JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Ranton (7).JPG
    Ranton (7).JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 0
Was that remark necessary? Or have I misunderstood?
Nothing pisses people off more than advice from an outside party, when they are having a lesson, no matter how good the advice is...to most, it's a relief to be left alone to get on with the lesson. :)

I think the inverted commas around the word 'coached' would suggest a mate giving pointers rather than a structured lesson :)  

I think the inverted commas around the word 'coached' would suggest a mate giving pointers rather than a structured lesson :)
Exactly. Thanks Fuz and Hammy. I would never interfere with any one being given a proper lesson. Downright bad manners for a start

Some people are glad of a pointer or too from someone who has something to add. I challenged a friend of mine only last week that if he did what i said i would guarantee that he would shoot a better ot score than he expected on the day, he did and the smile on his face after was a picture. So nothing wrong with advice if your confident and competent enough to give it. But be careful who you trust there are only about 4 i would trust to give me advice i think the secret is knowing the shooters style well enough to know what's wrong.

Hotshot, if you ever see me shooting at West Kent feel free to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Hotshot, if you ever see me shooting at West Kent feel free to tell me what I'm doing wrong.
I'll try to meet you and your O.H. at West Kent sometime. Is there any particular day that you normally go?

Back