Seeing Lead - your thoughts

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be if your right handed a bird from left to right both eyes have a clear view of the lead whereas from right to left the barrel masks your view of the lead from your left eye so you perceive less.

I had a great lesson years ago with a guy called David Leithart. Some of the tips he gave me still form a lot of what I do now. He said a shot swinging out of the body (so l-r for a right handed shooter) is less fluid and can affect the lead seen, especially for beginners (which obviously Tony isn't). So, yes agree with Hamid as a possibility. 

I shot my second sim driven today and great fun it was. I actually shot very well indeed (for me) and I can definitely say "I do not see lead"

I shot my second sim driven today and great fun it was. I actually shot very well indeed (for me) and I can definitely say "I do not see lead"
I keep being told if I see lead on a true driven clay then I'll miss it.

I have no comprehension of lead, never have.

There were 5 different driven clays at WLSS, over 15 clays. I missed one (in front). I could tell you in precise measurements the lead on each of the 5. 

If you shot the high tower challenge at sporting targets this last year, you needed to see lead. Some massive crossers and huge driven on that round. It had to be one of the high lights of my season shooting it.

By Pinocchio presumably. 
..  No  by a few people who can actually hit them.   I think what they mean is they just at it and go through it and hit the damn thing whereas I can't seem to not want to see it if you can understand that.

If you shot the high tower challenge at sporting targets this last year, you needed to see lead. Some massive crossers and huge driven on that round. It had to be one of the high lights of my season shooting it.
I think I may have done that last year whilst waiting to do something else to fill time because it wasn't for pleasure.

On low ones I know some people just swing through and fire but what about high driven off a tower?. Myself I measure the lead on all driven.
Yes if high enough and I have the means I would either take it as a crosser or cant my barrels.  West London high tower this weekend I did cant the barrels a touch and got 2 pairs out of 3.  The first pair I tried with barrels straight and missed both and I did see the lead on the ones I hit.

There were 5 different driven clays at WLSS, over 15 clays. I missed one (in front). I could tell you in precise measurements the lead on each of the 5. 
I only got 2/6 on the first on report pair and I didn't see anything just swung and managed to connect - that was up the first part of the course.  The highest tower I managed two pairs and did see because I turned the barrrels slightly.  The last one which was called the 40 in the big bowl area I swung from the trap slight turned my barrels  (not as a crosser) and didn't see any lead and got them all  - timing was good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see lead 100% of the time, although my eyes are fixed on the target I'm fully aware of the relationship between my barrels and the clay. I can't work out how you would get any consistency if you dont see anything.

I do seem to see lead different to most shooters at my club. I see it at the gun, I'd say I'm 4 cays infront while other will say 4 feet.

I can see how Sporting would be a challenge..
exactly ..... And I have made no secret of finding it difficult ?

and yet I am pretty good on driven, presumably I shoot it like trap but in reverse, some form of subconscious swing through method but I cant be sure as I just shoot the thing and let gun speed and "a feeling for the shot" take care of it.

I think trap shooters have a very different approach to shooting than sporters.

yesterdays sim driven, bloke on team before me steps off peg and says to me "those high tower birds are fast, give em three feet more than you think". !!!!!!!

(a) did I ask for advice, no.

(b) had he seen me shoot and thought I needed it, no.

(c) three feet more than how much lead I think would be ......er...three feet. ?

NOTE

I hate people offering unsolicited advice, grrr

Back