Recommended reading thoughts??

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Spavo

Thought I'd post this in the technically correct so forum which hasn't had a post for 3 years and see what happens?! šŸ˜€

Having a largeĀ blip in my shooting that's frustrating me so my lovely wife gave me my Xmas present early, Breaking Clays by Chris Batha, and so far it's a very entertaining read.

So does anybody have any other recommendations for reading material, and subsequently does anyone have any books they think it's worth avoiding in this day and age and why that is?

Thanks. šŸ˜Š

Shotgunning: The Art and the Science, Bob BristerĀ (ISBN: 9781602393271).

The first and only book I have purchased so far. Have to say, I found it disappointing. The ā€˜scienceā€™ just isnā€™t very scientific. The experiments it goes into are vague, the variables arenā€™t really well documented or articulated and the conclusions are anecdotal with an obvious omission of the laws of physics.Ā 

Free to a good home

I bought three, two spent too much time on interpretation of rules and how stands should be laid out for competition.Ā 

The one below is a complete beginners guide, laid out in simple terms, step by step over a course of lessons. If you've ever instructed or maybe taught - any subject, you'll be familiar with lesson plans of which this book reminds me of. Enjoyable, entertaining and educational.

20191121_080546.jpg

I have a set of DVDs I bought when I first started 15 years ago, Clay Coach. They werenā€™t modern even then. If anybody wants to borrow them, let me know. You will learn little about shooting but you will learn where Bob Fleming from the fast show (plus a bit of Ted and Ralph) were taken from. Thereā€™s one bit where plas wads are written off as modern rubbish and a vital gun cleaning tool is a large feather.Ā 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back at the beginning of my personal shooting journey - and having got obsessively hooked I read/watched everything that I could find - there isn't that much out there in truth.

I stumbled over John Bidwell's Mount-Mount-Shoot method and his DVD 'Shotgun Magic' and found it useful https://highlodge.co.uk/john-bidwell-shooting-publications-and-dvds/Ā 

I've discovered in my working life that most forms of training have useful 'nuggets of knowledge' embedded within and this is no different - some work well for you and others less so with the important point of having an open mind. Ā 

Absolutely agree. Found many guitar tuition books which have one brilliant paragraph or chapter amongst utter sloblock! A lot of transcriptions are so off the money and miles away from the actual note choice and even sometimes what is even played that it's scary how bad they are, yet touted as the official thing! Wheat from the chaff, I believe they say.

How about this one?

Saw it on evil bay earlier Ā£2.95, free p&p, bound to be some useful tipsšŸ˜

20191124_201041.jpg

The only instruction book that any shooter needs is Churchill's. Ā There were none of any consequence prior and every one since has been nothing more than a discovery of a magic new technique that is always nothing more than a pirating of Churchill.

The only instruction book that any shooter needs is Churchill's. Ā There were none of any consequence prior and every one since has been nothing more than a discovery of a magic new technique that is always nothing more than a pirating of Churchill.
I knew he won the war but didn't know he was a shooter.

Back