Raising my comb - adjustable or another method

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sian

remember an adj system will add weight and alter balance. Do not be told otherwise. Fourty quid gives you what you want.

Hi Sian,

My son had one of the raisers that IPS is advocating and they are brill but believe me make sure you get it in the right place as they stick like s..t, hope this helps

hi jay were you been hiding we have missed you.

You can go off topic on my threads haunts-boy as I am a serial off topic offender, ask Ips ?

I'm with Greg and a couple others - the adjustable comb will always fit you and it will not in any way affect the value of the gun.  Get a quality product and don't look back.  Anything else is a temporary measure if you have plans to keep the gun for some time.  I have adjustables on several guns and they have more than payed for themselves with their longevity.  As for looks - it's a competition gun not an exhibit.  I'm not particularly fond of the look but the functionality is what a competition gun is about.  And if you ever want to have a stock custom made the exact measurements are there on the gun already.

JMO of course

Thank you all for your input.  I have a feeling I will be dithering for a while but I will look at all the options.  

Hi Sian :) x as you knw i have an adjustable comb fitted to the Beretta,  

I knew i needed one before i bought the gun, so for me it was a case of spend the money up front and get a gun with it allready fitted,

or pay the money and have it done afterwards.

As most have echoed here, it's one of those mods that wont afffect the resale if done well. 

i used the pound coin & this  to set mine up, 

I may have found  part of the problem for mine, so i'm off out to test the theory on Thursday evening at Shoreham

:santa:   x

Last edited by a moderator:
It is funny we talk so much regarding novices and fit of guns and when I got mine I had it fitted professionally and it worked well but as my own style developed and sorting out my dodgy use of eyes (remember I used my left eye, right eye shut - gun on right shoulder for 18 months or so until I decided to change around despite the pleadings of my husband in all that time) I found I needed more in the comb - not a huge amount actually.  This gun will never be sold ever so I can do what I need to for me and not worry about anyone else's needs.  

I'll just dither a while longer debating what I really want and then make a decision - no hurry as I am happy to use the plastic device and plumbers tape and my scores are steadily rising.

Hamster +1

I thought "Hmm" too, with the same number of "mm"s.

As a general rule I strongly believe that any instructional firearms video produced by any U.S. concern is to be viewed as entertainment only. I still shudder with horror when I remember a video of an elderly gentleman in a bow tie walloping seven bells out of the lumps of a side by side as he demonstrated the "procedure" for tightening the action...

That video is no substitute for starting out looking at gun mount, which is hardly mentioned. Nor is stock length, nor cast. The heel and toe don't figure in it, and I won't be visiting the chap in the film for a fitting session.

​I am think they meant the latter.
​Yes i think they do :),  however Mr Potterfield is well regarded in shooting circles, so id say more credible than some.

I did the straw trick on my comb.  at least i can  see rising birds now,  ( cant hit them mind  :))

:santa: x

Sometimes half the answer is enough to sort you out, with luck. It just isn't the way to be sure for everybody..

sian

remember an adj system will add weight and alter balance. Do not be told otherwise. Fourty quid gives you what you want.
Fair comment but the plate, towers and spacers I fitted to my Summit were made of aircraft grade Ali. and I had to remove a matching amount of high density walnut to fit it.

If the adjuster mechanism added more than 1 oz to the middle of the stock I'd be very surprised.

In my case I fitted the Guerini recoil system with all 4 weights fitted AND another 250g of lead to get the gun to balance on the pintle.

The 1oz didn't even get noticed!

( Anyone got some depleted Uranium? I could do with a slug or two to move the weight just a tad further back! :)  )

​

I accept what you say in your case however from my experience not all systems are as hi tech as yours. I have had them fitted and balance change was noticable But it was quite a few years ago so maybe they are lighter now as my learned friend above states.

I still think Sian will like the comfy cozy padded leather job though and save hundred quid min and not have to have wood chopped. Just my opinion of course.

Latest posts

Back