Questions regarding plastic and fibre wads

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i find power gold 8's in fibre a great shell too.
I don't really shoot fibre at all to be honest, but I have shot a few power gold fibre and thought they were good. But personally prefer World Cup fibre (although they aren't everyone's cup of tea)

I don't really shoot fibre at all to be honest, but I have shot a few power gold fibre and thought they were good. But personally prefer World Cup fibre (although they aren't everyone's cup of tea)
World Cup fibre....nearly twice the price the ones i use,maybe i'll treat the auto for the Beretta World got to be worth at least 10% on my score!

Test results.

Today I compared fibre with plastic to see whether I could determine any appreciable differences.

I already had some Power Blue 28 g 7.5 fibre so I bought a slab of the same but in plastic to have an identical as possible comparison.

I shot 100 sporting and then 2 rounds of skeet.  I used the same choke for all cartridges and I shot each clay presentation with both fibre and plastic and to make sure I wasn’t favouring one type. I shot some fibre then plastic and some plastic first.

Various comments above have been confirmed,

Pattern: this is subjective as it relies on my ‘feel’ for the breaks but overall I got the firm impression that plastic does provide a tighter pattern.  At least the clays consistently broke into smaller pieces and on one long edge shot I missed 3/5 with fibre but hit 5/5 with plastic. And I swapped the order to be sure it wasn’t me!!

Recoil: slightly more overall using fibre, but not much.

Smoothness: no real difference, maybe a very slight leaning towards plastic.

Noise and smell: no appreciable difference

Confetti vs plastic wad: didn’t really notice any plastic wads but quite a few times black confetti blew back towards me.

Overall conclusion: very little between them and if I was shooting fibre for a long edge shot I would probably put in a tighter choke.  It was an interesting exercise for to learn the differences, or rather, lack of key differences.   

Back