Plastic or Fibre Wad

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forget the exact numbers but I once worked out the LEAD tonnage deposited onto our green and pleasant land by an average comp shooter and it was HUGE, at least plaswads can be retrieved in most controlled environments, tiny lead shot scattered all over the place is all but impossible to truly cleanse out - not saying it poses a genuine hazard, just that the antis will then use it to further restrict and perhaps even succeed in banning us altogether. Stop giving them ammo. 
I agree there is a lot of lead cast at a major comp... I think I calculated for about, including practice, 12 tonnes at the world UT. However a great many trap shooting grounds can easily put in place measures to reclaim this if the will is there. When it comes to the plastic waste there is no excuse, this can easily be collected and put back into recycling. The bit in bold is the important statement, IMO, that is the ultimate plan get shooting and guns out of the public domain. Also, as mentioned by another poster, noise pollution is now the big thing and grounds that have been in place for many years are now being perused by owners of new build homes ... why did they or were given permission to build these houses next to established shooting grounds?  I live out in the sticks next to farms and all that goes with them. I have recently heard of people complain about farm noise,smell and new barns being built " which spoil the sky line"  etc. I have to ask why did these "townies" venture out into the country if all they want to do is diminish country way of life and try to destroy people's livelihood ?

A) tiny lead shot scattered all over the place is all but impossible to truly cleanse out -

b)  perhaps even succeed in banning us altogether. Stop giving them ammo. 
A) Where do they think it came from in the first place?

b)  was that fibre or plastic wad?

I live out in the sticks next to farms and all that goes with them. I have recently heard of people complain about farm noise,smell and new barns being built " which spoil the sky line"  etc. I have to ask why did these "townies" venture out into the country if all they want to do is diminish country way of life and try to destroy people's livelihood ?
John - I hate to tell you this, but that crap exists in a number of forms everywhere!  Perfectly good race tracks closed, off-road facilites closed, shooting grounds closed, etc.  The one club I belonged to in SoCal had been in place for nearly 70 years! and development nearly a mile away got the county to shut it down - the lead pollution was dangerous to the children ! ! ! ! !  Life in modern times and it ain't gonna stop

John - I hate to tell you this, but that crap exists in a number of forms everywhere!  Perfectly good race tracks closed, off-road facilites closed, shooting grounds closed, etc.  The one club I belonged to in SoCal had been in place for nearly 70 years! and development nearly a mile away got the county to shut it down - the lead pollution was dangerous to the children ! ! ! ! !  Life in modern times and it ain't gonna stop
The problem is as often is the case, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. 

Lead is dangerous to children’s health. That’s a proven fact. What isn’t proven is that children are consuming lead from the shooting grounds. 

But you only need a slender thread of fact to support hysteria, especially where children can be brought into the mix.

and this is why I would advocate a proactive approach. The lead argument couldn’t have been used had the ground had a steel only policy and cited the reason for such being public health and demonstrating social responsibility. 

For sure that may not have halted the NIMBY’s but it might have slowed them down a bit. 

Who knows, this is just my opinion and I’ve been wrong before. I think it was in 1978 🤔

The problem is as often is the case, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. 

Lead is dangerous to children’s health. That’s a proven fact. What isn’t proven is that children are consuming lead from the shooting grounds. 
Got to say this. I have worked in scientific research my entire working life, laterally in drug discovery for a major pharma company.... and if any scientist told me it was raining ... I would go outside to check.  

@jwpzx9r I work with a number of scientists and I would bet on them all agreeing with you on your statement 😂

As it happens I work in the engineering department on single cell cloning tech using micro-fluidics with fluid walls for drug discovery, stem cell research, CRISPR and chemotaxis. It is with this company that I first started clay shooting last May on a corporate day. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back