Plastic v Fibre

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagster

Hi all, I own a two year old Browning 525 with modern back bored barrels. I get reasonably consistent, if not high scores using Eley Olympic Blue plastic wad cartridges. I have been told that modern back bored guns perform better using plastic wad. The next couple of weekends I am shooting at grounds that are fibre wad only, and I need to get some more fibre wad cartridges. My dilemma is, is there any truth in the fact that plastic are better than fiber in a modern gun. Does anyone have any evidence, or experience of this. I have noticed that on the odd occasion I have used fibre the barrels appear to suffer more fouling. If there is no difference between plastic and fibre, other than cost, I might as well buy all fibre and not have to keep stocks of both. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Hi jagster

I own a Miroku MK70 that has the same barrels - I have shot plastic wad cartridges in majority, while every time I had to use fibres I went with Hull Pro Ones - I haven't noticed any noticable difference what so ever - here are some of the patterns:

1. Shot at 20 m (21yds) through Teague 3/8 extended chokes (0.015) - Hull superfast on the left and Hull Pro One fibre on the right:

2015-10-23 17.20.09.jpg

2. Hull Pro One fibres through Teague 3/8 extended (0.015) at 20m (21yds) left and Teague 5/8 extended (0.025) at 40m (42 yds):

2016-03-08 17.29.06.jpg

I'd be happy to use fibres only if needed be.

Once I have depleted my reserves of plastic wad I'm gong to use solely fibre, either Hull pro fibre or gamebore white gold fibre, it won't affect my scores and I won't be flinging plastic into the countryside.  I find more powder residue with fibre but not additional fouling.

hi

i use plastic wad eley blue olympic  in a semi auto beretta al 391 tecnys. shoot fine no probs but i notice plastic fouling just past the chamber for about 3 or 4 inches , it is difficult to remove ,the rest of the barrels come clean easily,but i have to scrub away at the fouling to clear it. so i bought some fibre wad which i will shoot tomorrow they ate maxam so wil give em a try and let you know if i find any difference, i think with fibre the pattern will be bigger at the same distance as plaswad so i have tightened the choke from 1/2 to 3/4 choke.

i am an old git shooter and remember the old paper carts we used to get which were quite variable at times but worked well so i dont envisage any problems

danq 

I have used Hull Superfast in both plastic and fibre, through an MK10 with backbored barrels and 2 x Briley I/C extended chokes. I do not do patterning, it can be too frightening, I judge things by how the clays break and I have NOT noticed any difference. I do keep the fibre wads in the house and take them out on the day of the shoot. I will not even leave them in my car overnight and have not noticed much difference in the crod in the barrels. In fact the barrels stay remarkably clean. 

you clean barrels ?

ps

don't ever clean an air rifles barell it ruins the grouping. ?

was out today shot 100 sporting  used 50 fibre wad and 50 plaswad  couldnt really tell the difference , still shot about 70% . barrel a bit cleaner as was the gas piston and housing.

will shoot fibre only next outing and tighten the choke to full . so far happy with the fibre (didnt think i would be)

danq

was out today shot 100 sporting  used 50 fibre wad and 50 plaswad  couldnt really tell the difference , still shot about 70% . barrel a bit cleaner as was the gas piston and housing.

will shoot fibre only next outing and tighten the choke to full . so far happy with the fibre (didnt think i would be)

danq

With respect Dang, you will not notice the difference when shooting plas or fiber unless you have years of experience and still then its hard to tell the difference, just shoot what you feel is right, tighter chokes for fiber is a good move.

unfortunatly baltrap i have too many years experience   started at 15 now 67 , my dad gave me one piece of advice and that was dont get old wish i could comply

definitly think tighter chokes are best for fibre as you say. to be honest providing i got something to shoot and something to shoot at i am a happy bunny, out of interest i shot a straight 10 on the rabbit stand with the fibre,perhaps rabbits prefer fibre diet

danq

Latest posts

Back