Plastic or Fibre Wad

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s just a question i have as I’m looking to buy 1000  and didn’t know whether to mix 500/500 or 750/250 or just a straight 1000 
You have obviously been shooting for a reasonable time and 8+ years on the forum and you can't answer this question yourself...really?😥

rarely is there an intelligent post on here any more.
What a pompous badger thing to say!  Yours, mine, John's, and a couple others obviously put lie to that !!  I'd like to quote your whole post and then highlight it in its entirety but I'm sure that would make no more impression than it did the first time.  

There is a pragmatic reality that is being ignored at several levels and the simple truth as I see it is that the world will continue to decline into the total sh*tehole category until the worst of the perpetrators are overwhelmed by their waste or succumb the the pandemic their filth will spawn.  The good news in that for me is I'm unlikely to be present.  Which of course gives me another reason to not GAF and contribute to the ultimate punishment of the goatbrains that live in denial and don't even consider that their children or grandchildren will be drinking black water if they can find it and think brown air is the way God intended when He made them Lords of the Earth as they'll be told in church.

have a nice day  :thumbsu:

Mods.  Can we lock this post before it descends further into a slagging match?

Apologies to the OP for the off topic tangent this has taken at my instigation.

You have obviously been shooting for a reasonable time and 8+ years on the forum and you can't answer this question yourself...really?😥
Well to be honest with you I joined the forum when it was very young with a few people on here as I got to shoot with matt  he suggested I joined so yes I might have been on the forum for a long time but have shoot no more than 10-15 over the years I’m on my 3rd gun now so I’m asking for advice as I’ve been out of the loop for a while so your comment doesn’t really help to be honest 🤦‍♂️ and after reading all the comments I’m not here to cause world war 3 just a simple question and it seems plastic is what people are using so thanks all I now know what to get 

Search engine isnt great on here unfortunately, but absolutely ridiculous that someone gets hammered for asking a question. Are people not able to ignore a thread if they don't like it or does the website become personal property if you're a big enough name on here? #depressing
Simple question expects a simple answer not world war 3 between everyone but plastic it is 👍

My twopennorce for what it's worth:

This is in answer to the OP, as I don't want to get involved in any arguments please.

I'm no expert,  just a happy shooter that enjoys a day out midweek and a shoot with the grandkids at the weekend. 

I use 21gram cos I like it and it's cheap.

I use fibre cos its cheaper by £4.50 per 250 and it's all my dealer sells.

I shot at Park Lodge today (lovely venue btw) 500 cartridges busting clouds. I managed to really open up those rain clouds.🙈

I bought a box of plaswad. (25)

Alternating O/U, U/O each load with plastic and fibre, neither make me a better shot😁 I miss just as many with both.🙄

As far as I can tell, with my very scientific and extremely precise method of guessing, er, testing, there is no difference other than price.

For those interested, 21gram still hits the high tower birds, fast birds, blah blah blah, just a touch more lead required.

For what it's worth I had a good day with my son and really enjoyed the sport of shooting.

My twopennorce for what it's worth:

This is in answer to the OP, as I don't want to get involved in any arguments please.

I'm no expert,  just a happy shooter that enjoys a day out midweek and a shoot with the grandkids at the weekend. 

I use 21gram cos I like it and it's cheap.

I use fibre cos its cheaper by £4.50 per 250 and it's all my dealer sells.

I shot at Park Lodge today (lovely venue btw) 500 cartridges busting clouds. I managed to really open up those rain clouds.🙈

I bought a box of plaswad. (25)

Alternating O/U, U/O each load with plastic and fibre, neither make me a better shot😁 I miss just as many with both.🙄

As far as I can tell, with my very scientific and extremely precise method of guessing, er, testing, there is no difference other than price.

For those interested, 21gram still hits the high tower birds, fast birds, blah blah blah, just a touch more lead required.

For what it's worth I had a good day with my son and really enjoyed the sport of shooting.
500 shells fired at Park Lodge ! Much respect , did you have to sell a kidney on the way home 😂

Last edited by a moderator:
500 shells fired at Park Lodge ! Much respect , did you have to sell a kidney on the way home 😂
You only live once Martyn, and I'm not planning on taking it with me. Both me and the Mrs have worked hard for the last 50 years, might as well enjoy it. Kids and grandchildren are settled (ish) and happy.

If I don't spend my pension some new government schemes will only decide I need to forfeit it or hand it to a socially challenged single multi gendered vegan to support the 56 children they have and the incurable obsession to watch mindless TV and have takeaways delivered to the door.

Besides, if I don't fire 500 I just can't get into double figures on a score card😉

🙈🙈🙈

I’m fully expecting fiber wad and steel shot to become a requirement in the not too distant future. 

To plagurise and paraphrase; if we want shooting to remain exactly as it is, then everything has to change. 

People broke clays before with fibre. People break clays with them today as they also do with steel. 

We can rant and get all churlish and act like laggards if we want and blame everyone else, but I doubt that will prevent change. In fact, I’d say laggards will become marginalised within the marginalised sport. 

The sport is under threat for sure. Hungerford and Dumblane have already been cited. It doesn’t matter what the truth is, what matters is public perception. 

The antis will find more support from the ambivalent and cautious non shooting public, especially when faced with angry shotgun owning men dishing out personal insults. 

I recall similar situation with the fox hunting ban. Anyone in a red tunic was assumed to be an over privileged public school educated toff, mindlessly and psychotically murdering  foxes. One such chap seamed to do his utmost to live up to the stereotype and announced on TV that the antis where inconsiderate of the thousands of jobs that would be lost and how his many hundreds of dogs would have to be put down!  It seamed to escape the chap that killing the Fox was considered bad form, so filling that up with a claim he’d have to put down his dearly beloved  dogs was shall we say counterproductive at the least. 

And fox hunting has changed and people still work in the countryside and still own dogs, so well done them for effectively proving the general public their objection to hunting was right and that the “toffs” where lying just to selfishly keep the status quo. 

Its odd too (convenient) I find when drawing parallels, people attack the analogies whilst being only to ready to provide their own, obviously much more reasoned and superior analogies. And of course if that doesn’t work, can always stoop to anchors, fugs, Aholes and such like. I’m sure this media friendly approach will win much support from the antis and ambivalent populous

we have some choices going forward. 

1/ get angry and contribute to public concern about gun owners and environmentally  conscientious (or bandwagon riders if you like, it matters not)

2/ throw your gun and plastic wads out of your pram with red faced rage and blame the whole world for the ruination.

3/adapt to change and continue to enjoy the sport in its new form.

me... I’m for option three. Regardless of what is scientifically, or (perceived to be) morally correct.

of course the sport can do without people like me. The sport can do without anyone. I’m pretty certain it can do without angry men with their insults. I’m sure society can do without them to. 

Still, everything changes and nothing really ever changes either.

this if course is just my opinion which is obviously the only correct one and anyone who disagrees is... well... you can fill in the rest

Well to be honest with you I joined the forum when it was very young with a few people on here as I got to shoot with matt  he suggested I joined so yes I might have been on the forum for a long time but have shoot no more than 10-15 over the years I’m on my 3rd gun now so I’m asking for advice as I’ve been out of the loop for a while so your comment doesn’t really help to be honest 🤦‍♂️ and after reading all the comments I’m not here to cause world war 3 just a simple question and it seems plastic is what people are using so thanks all I now know what to get 
Too right , you just asked a simple question , and what did you get ?  A full on Greta Thunberg in a skeet vest  type storm with a good dose of WOKE thrown in for good measure . 😂 perhaps we have Packham and Avery masquerading on here . 

Any how my shopping list for Tuesday is a 1000 Oly Blues split 75/25 plas /fibre , and 600 lead rimfire rounds ,  I’ll risk frying in hell with you ! 

we have some choices going forward. 

1/ get angry and contribute to public concern about gun owners and environmentally  conscientious (or bandwagon riders if you like, it matters not)

2/ throw your gun and plastic wads out of your pram with red faced rage and blame the whole world for the ruination.

3/adapt to change and continue to enjoy the sport in its new form.
And then there is Option 4

4/ ignore what anyone on either side might contend and just continue doing what you're doing for as long as you like

And then there is Option 4

4/ ignore what anyone on either side might contend and just continue doing what you're doing for as long as you like
Damn... that’s a good option.

I’m going for option 4

Hold up!

As long as I like?

Or as long as I’m allowed? 

100% fibre for game for me always and Im moving rapidly towards 100% fibre for clays too. I have maybe 500 plas wad 24g left-  then it will be fibre and as low a load as I can find (usually 21g).

The cartridges are better than I am, so I cant blame the wad when I miss.

Damn... that’s a good option.

I’m going for option 4

Hold up!

As long as I like?

Or as long as I’m allowed? 
Well if you have people from within the sport that you love advocating the banning certain of aspects of that sport ... it will not be as long as you hoped will it ? Sad when the worry is the enemy within!

Fibre... you wouldn’t  dump plastic bags in the countryside would you? Absolutely no need for plastic, sooner it’s no longer sold the better
 FFS here we go again. Since when was a shooting ground  " the countryside " ? It is a controlled area for goodness sake

None of the shooting grounds I go to are in towns or cities, ergo, in the countryside, quite simple

I think you are missing the point... or being obtuse... or just thick ! A controlled area is not being littered , anything within that area can be cleaned up and that area returned to the original state ... what do you do with your household waste?

Back