Public Perception

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les53

OK, some weeks ago whilst in the pub, I was talking about clay shooting to some friends. I went outside for a cigarette, I know....shocking habit! Anyway a guy came out who had been in the bar and was listening to my shooting conversation, he informed me that I "didn't seem like a shooter"! So I asked him what he meant by his comment, he said that shooters normally are clad in tweed or or camo gear and talk posh. Well I wear neither tweed nor camo gear and I certainly do not speak posh. I found all this to be quite concerning as he is probably not the only person in this country who has no idea at all about what we are, what we do, or how we go about it! I showed him some pics on my phone of people shooting clays and he was amazed, he had no idea about us.....so for the next half an hour I enlightened him! He became very interested and vowed to find a shooting ground so as to have a go when he went home. OK I don't know if he has had a go, but the point is this, why are we and our governing bodies not doing more to promote ourselves to the non shooting public, hopefully changing their often misguided perception of us? This is not the first time this sort of thing has happened to me. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
i think the main problem is you only see hooray henrys' on the tv in series and people getting killed on the news,most people have no comprehension of it as a pastime or sport and generally think guns are bad.

realistically i should think there is also a bit of stigma as many people cannot afford to do it or think they cannot so the hooray henry/rich toff is always going to be the stereotype.

Ignorance is bliss as they say. Mention a gun and 90% of the public go oooh aaar ummmm, they should be banned, no-one needs one. 

This is because they do not understand anything about the sport/disciplines on offer and is probably instilled in them from an early age - Media/schools you name it.

I had a Number 3 garden gun (Brass or paper cases) when i was 5 - those were the days - how times have changed eh

Yes I agree with both of the above......it's time the shooting sports did something to educate the non shooting public I reckon! 

Go to any summer registered sporting shoot and there are more 'white van men' than there are 'tweedies'.

Yup the perception is pretty much off the mark.

So don't feel alone out there - the NRA here has been circling the same wagons now for 60+ years and has accomplished absolutely nothing in terms of public perceptions other than to cast gun owners as nut cases.  AFAIC we'd be far better off if they'd just STFU.

and of course get someone with a functioning brain to represent to gun owning community

JMO of course

very common view of guns and users,, as said. if you look at the Olympic games for instance, the media do not advertise or promote the coverage of shooting, and is very difficult to find tv coverage, although all the field sports are derived from conflict type origins, discus , javelin, etc,, even running if your losing a battle ! :D  

i mostly blame the media,, they do not promote a lot of stuff due to "bad press" on gun ownership,, which is largely their fault to start with !

"i mostly blame the media,, they do not promote a lot of stuff due to "bad press" on gun ownership,, which is largely their fault to start with !"

I have to disagree.  We can play the victim card but the obvious truth is that we as responsible gun owners/users/orgs do nothing but bitch about the media.  And in times like a year or so ago when the star actress or whatever she is got a lotta publicity about going shooting it seems like most of you could do little but slag her.  Thanks for helping out.  Just like we have Kim Rhode (FIVE OLYMPICS!!) here and she is about as unknown to the media as I am.  Now WTF is up with that?  GB just had two Gold Medals at world competitions.  Where's the press????

If you're waiting for someone else to do, best not be waiting underwater.

Good point Les, and this was the primary reason why I used to organise an annual works clay shoot. We used to round up 40 or 50 total novices and gather a large group of shooting mates to take them around 5 or 6 fairly simple stands.

That REALLY changed a few misplaced opinions..........try to do that now though, it would be "insurance this and Health and Safety that.".......no chance. Shame because my colleagues used to love it, and it really did change a few opinions.

Also, I always make a point of inviting people who show interest along for a go. 

I do think that WE as shooters do not do enough to publicize the sport to non shooters, in fact quite the opposite. I know of some shooters who 'smuggle' their guns out of the house and into the car, so that "the neighbours don't know that I have a gun"  ! I try to introduce and teach just ONE person each year (and it is usually more) and I have to say that most, if not all, are now avid shooters. I still see a lot of them at the various grounds and most are shooting very well. When I was connected with the running of a ground, we held 'have a go' days and asked regular shooters to bring along a non shooting friend or relative. They would get a 10 bird 'taster' and full information on how to begin shooting. We included the local Press and Councillors in the 'invitations', although they were usually 'too busy' to attend. I feel that most shooters just want to get on with their own shooting and are not really interested in how many newcomers we get. Most, if not all,  of the grounds that I get to, have a gift voucher scheme. Perhaps we regular shooters should be giving more of these out as presents or making more non shooters aware of their availability, especially around Birthdays or Christmas. It is suprising how many non shooters would love to 'have a go' given the opportunity and we should be tapping into this ready source. I was on the train last week and bumped into an ex colleague, he asked if I was still shooting. He went on to say that he had been with his 14 years old son on a stag do where they had shot clays and as to how much they had both enjoyed it. Suffice it to say he is now in possession of all of the details of the local Clay Ground and has his lads' Christmas present is sorted ! Going about things in this way does not involve Elfinsafety.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that the issue is slightly different than described, I would suggest that the majority of people most likely don't really have an opinion about shooting sports at all.

If there is a negative news story then they may form a slightly negative opinion on the basis of that, but it is a transient issue in their mind, if there were a good news story they would form a slightly positive one, again transient.  In general I think the problem is a huge dose of ambivalence and ignorance.

Those that do have an opinion will fall 3 ways, they are either understanding and supportive; they believe it to be inaccessible to most and the preserve of the well healed; or they are completely against it for a multitude of reasons.

One of my local grounds is a multi activity centre and in the summer is jam packed with kids playing in their outdoor adventure zone, they have an attached 9 hole golf course and driving range, a restaurant, Segway experience tours, corporate meeting rooms, indoor cricket bowling nets, airguns and archery.

The majority of people who use the facilities don't shoot and don't bat an eyelid at people wandering about in the car park with guns or the noise from the shooting.

I have asked a few non shooting people about their thoughts on shooting and I am mostly met with a blank stare, they know it happens and don't think beyond that.

Not withstanding all of the above the problem is still lack of awareness and positive promotion of our sport in general.

Maybe someone should introduce these 'Clay Pigeons'  into one of the multitude of cookery programmes currently being televised !

Maybe someone should introduce these 'Clay Pigeons'  into one of the multitude of cookery programmes currently being televised !
Apparently there's a pottery one now (whatever next) - Even better, make your own and go and shoot them. Best scores for shape, flying ability and presentation

Don't laugh I worked with a girl that thought it was cruel to shoot "clay pigeons" !

As to the OP people will always associate toffs and shooting and do think shooting is an expensive game... well I suppose it is BUT so is drinking and smoking eh Les :)    I reckon I spend about € 70- 80 per week on shooting but I don't smoke and seldom go to the bar for drinks although I do enjoy a drink at home. Simple calculation for say eighty cigs a week and drinks on top put my shooting spend in the shade. I know that people get great fun from the social aspect of going to the pub I used to too when I was younger but now I can't be bothered with it and get more fun out of meeting friends at the trap ground.

I am quite open about my clay pigeon shooting at the school I work in (2yrs to 7yrs).  Lots of parents, staff and children ask me how I got on at the weekend at my competitions.  In fact I am lucky enough for my boss to sometimes say, go early today and go shooting.   Sometimes when someone learns for the first time that I shoot a 12b shotgun they look at me as if it must be impossible for a small woman to use a gun like that but when I explain how it is they are pleasantly surprised.  

It's just the opposite here in the States.  The media portrays gang bangers and back wood Hillbilly simpletons as the typical gun totters. Here, you don't need to be well heeled to own a firearm or hunt. In much of Europe, it's a rich man's game and it is slowly becoming more and more that way here. 

very common view of guns and users,, as said. if you look at the Olympic games for instance, the media do not advertise or promote the coverage of shooting, and is very difficult to find tv coverage, although all the field sports are derived from conflict type origins, discus , javelin, etc,, even running if your losing a battle ! :D  

i mostly blame the media,, they do not promote a lot of stuff due to "bad press" on gun ownership,, which is largely their fault to start with !
I thought the coverage of London olympics was good for clay shooting. At least for the skeet. Seem to remember watching the trap disciplines in previous Olympics also.

Latest posts

Back