price of registered shoots...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Home internationals,shoots within their own country.....obviously a committed bunch if they need expenses for that  :wink:
My dads friend shot the esp Home International in Ireland last year, cost him best part of £700 in travel and accommodation etc. He received less than £200 in expenses!!!

My dads friend shot the esp Home International in Ireland last year, cost him best part of £700 in travel and accommodation etc. He received less than £200 in expenses!!!
I am intending to shoot the Irish open in August and will be spending a similar amount,i get no expenses  :D

i also know it could be done for under half of that including flights,hotel and car hire

I am intending to shoot the Irish open in August and will be spending a similar amount,i get no expenses  :D

i also know it could be done for under half of that including flights,hotel and car hire
Remember, you need paperwork from the Garda (that you pay them for) to take a firearm into The Rebublic of Ireland. European pass not enough.  It takes a bit of time to come through, so apply early. Also, Air Lingus carry guns, but if you book with Air Lingus, it might not be one of their planes that you will actually be on, they do not carry guns. Once you find a plane that takes guns, the gun costs more to fly than you. £250 for car return journey + £150 fuel. £400+

You shoot the home inter, you don’t get to pick hotel, £100+ per night, minimum two nights. Road charges, there are cameras on some motorways that you have to pay each way journey on, dads pal went to practice at the ground the day before, day of comp and open shoot the day after, 6 x £5 charges. Extra banquet ticket for the wife, £42. There is £300 before entries. 

So, tell me again how going to a home international in Ireland can be done for less than half of £700?

Decent reg sporting peters out pretty quickly North of Stafford. A few 100 sportings about but not registered although there are grounds that could very well put on some cracking shoots the North appears to be trap type disciplines. :(
I live north of Stafford. 

Weve got electricity, indoor toilets and everything 

I can remember in the early to mid 90s a round of 50 sporting at a tin pot local straw baler would be in the order of £12 for the first card and £10 the second. No facilities, no toilets and no scorers and most definitely no prize money. Let's say inflation has run at an average of 3% over those 25 years (I'd argue it has been higher) that brings the cost today to about £45 today. Given that most grounds now have good facilities, scorers and auto traps (productivity improves with time too) the price of 100ESP seems reasonable.

I can remember in the early to mid 90s a round of 50 sporting at a tin pot local straw baler would be in the order of £12 for the first card and £10 the second.
Bloody hell, it was only £10 including cartridges where i was!!!

I am as bad as anyone for wanting to find value in anything and seeking out a deal. The last thing anyone wants is to overpay for the same product they can get elsewhere but......

Also its key to look at it from a grounds perspective.

They hear shooters complain about traps breaking, no birds, poor toilet / food facilities, young referee's etc so they (if they have any business sense / give a damn) will try to improve. All those things cost money to update and improve which comes from the profits of the ground.

For example....

Say for a ground to cover its expenses and make a profit they need to charge £35 a hundred. 

People then want competition (and usually a decent one) so that then takes the entry to £40 a hundred.

All the above does is pays the bills and puts a reasonable wage in the person's pocket (if enough people turn up).

If people want improvements, it perhaps should not come out of the profit as that is the ground owners income. Which they are entitled to spend on themselves. So they think right i want a new toilet block rather than portaloo's or i want to build new stands or i want to invest in new traps or i want to buy better quality targets etc. Or the shooters want older experienced referee's who i need to pay more than teenagers - so i need to increase the price by X to do some of these.

Providing that you see improvements then at least they are spending some of that extra charge then continue to support that club. All to often we moan about facilities but do not want to pay more to improve them. Its a fact of life that we are involved in a HLS hobby and as such that costs. 

Its if your paying over the odds to shoot the same old same old then its time to consider something different.

One of things i put in place when i was helping run the BSSA was a breakdown of how your entry fee was spent. So shooters could clearly see out of there £40 exactly who got what - ground, referee's, associations, admin, prize fund etc. This helps massively with clarity at entry and no reason why you cannot be open and say £X is towards ground improvement Y giving the shooter the opportunity to watch progress be aware of the next development. 

We have 3 price structures around us.

Most local ground is some traps in some trees, no decent car park, no facilites what so ever, not even a portaloo. It charges 20p per clay

Next ground has a car park, half decent outside toilets, cafe/ office are that has a coffee machine and can machine. Clays there 27p each

Top tier is Grimsthorpe, Orston, park lodge. All charging around 33p each. All have fantastic facilities, possibly some of the best grounds around.

All put on decent targets and offer value for money in their own way. All the prices are comparative to the services and facilities available/ provided.

Back