Premium cartridges - are they worth it?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a thought, but could manufactures massively inflate their prices on what are purported to be superior performing brands in their range, in order to make their base cartridge range look a better buy. Thus allowing them still to retain an healthy margin on 'lesser' types that they pump out in larger numbers and make them the line that gives them greatest profits.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's almost like we should all avoid one specific brand for a while and see what happens with price ? 

Well around my way there doesn't seem to be many mid range cartriges about, plenty of high end, so perhaps people are moving to lower ''spec'' and the manufacturers are upping those to compensate profit wise

But how does one judge a premium cartridge, by spec' or by price? Dearer is not always better.

Tried Pro 1 dtl 300 Sunday. Super smooth . Phenomenal  breaks on sporting targets. Don't know their price point but quite good these are. 

Jasper. 

I don`t pay more than 27-29 cent for a `good´cartridge from Bornaghi or Clever Mirage.

The best ones are Blue with brass metal  😉

Premium cartridges - are they worth it?

Probably been done to death in the past...........but what about now?
Well of course they are ! ! !  The manufacturers crank out cheap sh*te cos they know they can then make some decent stuff and bend the shooters over on the price.  

And your wonderful import/vax taxes put foreign purchases into cosmic price ranges so the prices you pay are the prices you pay or else!  Here in the US shotshells production lines are running 24/7 so they say and yet there is nothing on the shelves!  Where is it all going you ask?  It's magic!  Maybe it's all being sent to Europe.

Yes but it would appear that it is a bitter pill that is being swallowed without much angst. It is actually the people who shoot the cartridges that set the price not the manufacturers. They will and can only charge what the market will bear so over to the shooters to let them have their say on prices. It is clear that although I think UK prices are too high a huge majority of UK shooters do not because the manufacturers continue to hold the whip hand. It appears to me there is no appetite to fight with the manufacturers on price ?
Fight how, stop buying them ?

Anyone thinking, for one minute, that’s gonna happen “need their head seeing to”.

As this continues you will find the top end cartridges won’t sell, the prices won’t come down, they never do, what will happen is we will see a new entry level cartridge appear at some point. 
I for one won’t stop shooting I’ll just change the frequency of my practices and the amount i shoot. 
clay prices are going up next. 

Fight how, stop buying them ?

Anyone thinking, for one minute, that’s gonna happen “need their head seeing to”.
Which I think tells you something? British shooting is no where near the level where anybody has a mind to buck the trend and say enough is enough with regards to cartridge prices. I think the manufacturers already know this and price rises will continue... why... they know shooting is an expensive game and regardless of the cost of cartridges there is unspent money floating about they will hoover up for a long time to come.

My own performance will drive me away from shooting a long time before an increase in the cost of cartridges 🤣 

edit

I think the increase in cost of fuel to get you to your shooting ground is far more relevant that the cost of the cartridges you shoot.

As this continues you will find the top end cartridges won’t sell, the prices won’t come down, they never do, what will happen is we will see a new entry level cartridge appear at some point. 
I for one won’t stop shooting I’ll just change the frequency of my practices and the amount is shoot. 
clay prices are going up next. 
Subsequent to that, people WILL end up getting p1ssed off with shooting cos with less & less time at the range, one's scores will innevitably suffer, making it less appealing unless it's done purely for fun without a care about score.

This is more likely where I will go if this alleged never-ending increase in price continues... not worrying about how I score, just aware whether I've roughly had a good day or not, whether I enjoyed it, spent time having a bit of fun with like minded people, and probably being less bummed out after what occasionally previously may have mathematically proven to be a bad day at the races. :)

I think the increase in cost of fuel to get you to your shooting ground is far more relevant that the cost of the cartridges you shoot.
Also clay prices!! What some of the grounds charge is extracting copious amounts of urine, compared to cartridge manufactures. 

Also clay prices!! What some of the grounds charge is extracting copious amounts of urine, compared to cartridge manufactures. 

I pay €3.50 for 25 targets I do not know if that price is under threat . It is just a perk of being a member of a private club, as all the clubs down here are. The non members have to pay €5 for the same 25 targets . The thing is our club, although we do have a parcours is predominantly trap so the targets are the same as at any other trap ground sporting clubs need much more room.

I have said a few times before but look at the cost of the average motor at a clay ground and a small incease in clays and cartridges whilst worthy of a whinge will not stop people shooting, small beer in expendable income

I have said a few times before but look at the cost of the average motor at a clay ground and a small incease in clays and cartridges whilst worthy of a whinge will not stop people shooting, small beer in expendable income
I’m guessing you mean they aren’t cheap vehicles therefore they have expendable income/money? To counter that, the reason such people drive such vehicles is because they know how and where to spend their money wisely. People will vote with their  feet at some point if prices keep increasing simple economics, once the price rises above the bliss point of clay shooting they will either reduce the amount they shoot or find another sport/hobby. 
I think long before that  a new budget cartridge will appear at some point and all will be well in the world again. 

That is where I am at you can either afford to shoot or not. Very few shooters I know actually think about the cost of what they use to shoot their targets. Don't get me wrong I know loads of shooters who shoot the cheapest they can get but the actual cost is not the issue!

I pay €3.50 for 25 targets I do not know if that price is under threat . It is just a perk of being a member of a private club, as all the clubs down here are. The non members have to pay €5 for the same 25 targets . The thing is our club, although we do have a parcours is predominantly trap so the targets are the same as at any other trap ground sporting clubs need much more room.
How would you feel paying €10 for 25 . That's what many grounds charge in UK  and some more than that. 

How would you feel paying €10 for 25 . That's what many grounds charge in UK  and some more than that. 

Yes but is that a trap target or sporting? That is why I made it clear our club although having a parcours is nearly totally trap. If you think about it trap targets are cheaper to put into the air simply because you do not need much area compared to sporting layout and For UT only 5 traps although the Olympic uses 15. So right off you have up keep of the area being much more expensive for sporting. Also as said all the shooting clubs down here are owned and run by the members so are much cheaper there is no drive for profit. In answer to the question though seems high you do not even have to pay that at Lonato where last time out I paid € 8 or about £7 for 25 targets... one of the best shooting grounds in the world!

Latest posts

Back