Porting and Recoil

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have put this on here before and got laughed off the Forum, being told that altering the pitch could not actually have any effect on where the gun is shooting. I put 3 x 50 pence sized pieces of lead on the top or heel, behind the top screw of the Isis pad fitted to my Miroku trap gun. This has had the result that I wanted. 1)   It has moved the point of balance back towards the hinge pin. (by using lead washers).  2)      It has moved the POI (sorry) down to where I wanted it (aprox 1 1/2 feet).

I have a 30" ported barrel for my Beretta 303 auto as well as the standard 28" barrel. I know it is an auto and they recoil differently BUT I do not notice any difference between the two barrels.

Last edited by a moderator:
tinker has the same outlook as me ,more or less ! use a hard floor and a wall for this,,,, stand gun on buttplate , a standard gun will have a  1.5 to 3 inch of gap at the muzzle to wall gap, reduce that to half an inch, (the pitch) and then shoot it. better than porting or whatever. you can argue this till blue,,  we all have opinions,, not everyone experience,,, hey tinks?
this may help.
http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/fit.html                 :biggrin:

I got told of an old school method for checking your gun has the right pitch... Measure the distance from the trigger to the bottom centre of the grip, that distance should be the same as the distance from the wall to the barrel (put the butt on the floor, the barrel angel from the wall can thn be measured)

Pitch effects point of impact, be careful because you can add too much and introduce a load of new issues, washers are a great way of making minor changes to see what happens. PM Rollin Oswald, author of the Stock Fitters Bible, really good book and explains a lot

Guru. They are soft.

It's Hull Super Fast and comp x fibres that I have to use at Bisley.
Try Gambore evo's 24G Fibre    very smooth,  

Other carts that are as equally as good

Fiocchi top 1 (24g)

Hull Pro fibre (24g)

Lyavale express 21g or 24g   in plastic

Mart

I got told of an old school method for checking your gun has the right pitch... Measure the distance from the trigger to the bottom centre of the grip, that distance should be the same as the distance from the wall to the barrel (put the butt on the floor, the barrel angel from the wall can thn be measured)

Pitch effects point of impact, be careful because you can add too much and introduce a load of new issues, washers are a great way of making minor changes to see what happens. PM Rollin Oswald, author of the Stock Fitters Bible, really good book and explains a lot
That first part is noting less than bewildering!  WTF??

The game gun that I chopped near 7" of pitch out of didn't even change POI.

I really don't have a clue where this crap comes from.  Well, actually I unfortunately do.  Target shooters do not cheek the gun the way 19th Century game shooters did.  Figure it out, folks.

:fie:  Rosso, Hull comp X's 28g are the softest shooting cartridge out there! if they ain't man enough to do the job, don't go to the shoot! 

So I gather from all the very usefull tips that porting does not reduce recoil.

I will not be doing that.

I am going to cut the 2" of pitch back to under 1" and post the felt difference if any for the info of those on here.

I think shootinguru's advice might be to leave the saw alone?

I may be wrong??  :sarcastic:

Porting reduces flip not recoil like you said though, but to me it just feels smoother overall because it's not lashing about in the air after the shot.  :biggrin:

Washers Guru Washers Guru Washers Guru.

I would not cut that beautifull stock.

If I need to I will then rapid prototype a fillet. And I don't mean steak which you are going to need for your eye for calling me names.

Guru. They are soft.

It's Hull Super Fast and comp x fibres that I have to use at Bisley.
can you actually get anything softer than a comp x,to me thay feel like the softest 28's i have ever shot.

guess its all about perception.

read the whole thread befor you post...repeat ten times.

thats 2 things i agree with guru about!!

Righty ho you two. Guru Bud and your new best friend Shmokkkin.

I was asking a porting question which has been answered by very professional ladies and gentleman on here.

Now it has turned into what the shells are soft hard. Bit like an egg.

Felt wads are punchy yes! My neck is starting ache yes. I got no money as her indoors has spent it all.

So I dont mind trying anything thats free and reversable.

So you two have a nice day and thanks for the help.

Just wondered if your 'neck ache' is due to the weight of the gun? Shooting something like a 'K' gun, or any gun of that weight, gun up for any length of time would certainly make my arms droop.

Something like that should not really have any recoil issues and yes i have shot a few.

Do you have this issue with anything else you have used?

Pitch - as others have said is really to fit the butt into the shoulder for comfort. If the Toe is hard against your shoulder pocket you may have a gap at the heel, this would cause recoil to be centred on that point and could cause a bit of muzzle flip and vice versa.

Oh the ergonomics of gun fit and gun mount

Righty ho you two. Guru Bud and your new best friend Shmokkkin.

I was asking a porting question which has been answered by very professional ladies and gentleman on here.

Now it has turned into what the shells are soft hard. Bit like an egg.

Felt wads are punchy yes! My neck is starting ache yes. I got no money as her indoors has spent it all.

So I dont mind trying anything thats free and reversable.

So you two have a nice day and thanks for the help.
sorry..as far as recoil i feel very little and i have just the standard plastic browning butt plate.

i shoot a variety of shells inc. hull extreme range fitasc which when others try say kick like a mule but i feel very little so i guess perfect gunfit is the real key.

i do suffer some neck issues which are not shooting related..my chiro is in a constant battle with 2 of my vertebrae!

oh..it was porting wasn't it...tried it on my rd350 revvier,more power up top....naff all till 6500rpm!!

Latest posts

Back