Porting and Recoil

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosso

Not seen a porting post on here so apologies if it's been done.

Can anyone advise me of a before and after experience regarding having barrels ported to reduce felt recoil.

Does barrel porting reduce recoil?

Any thoughts on will it devalue gun.

I don't really want to get into gun fit, gun weight, shells, and all the normal recoil stuff as it's been done to death on here and I'll get the blame for it. I'v done all that.

Starting to get a bit of neck ache.

:fie:  Rosso, my ole mate listen and learn!  Porting is supposed to stop muzzle flip on the second shot?

Forcing cone or tapering them does in my opinion cut down some percieved recoil? but WTF would I know? :crazy:  

I once had a 3800 Trap that had been ported. I can't say that it felt any different to any other similar gun. But it was very tricky to sell.

A mate has an old  factory ported Browning (F1 I think). I hate standing behind him waiting to shoot -  the noise from the thing gives ME a headache ! 

Rosso, I agree with all of the above (ignoring shootinguru - what does he know??)  :biggrin:

I use a Beretta 682 Supersport with original Beretta ported barrels. If we ever meet you are more than welcome to try it. For me it is the smoothest 12 bore shotgun I've ever shot. It fits me well which helps but the porting does allow a faster aquisition of the second target because it's like the amount of barrel flip you get from a budget 21g cartridge when compared to a decent 32g load. I do have an efficient Kick-eez pad too which softens the rearward push of the recoil. My gun weighs a touch under 8 lbs, so is a relative lightweight by todays standards (see Les's post on gun weight). I used a Miroku Mk38 with 32" barrels on Sunday for the first time. It fit fairly well but knocked the c**p out of me despite being much heavier. I also was much more aware of muzzle blast for some reason, and it was a bit of a lump to change direction as quickly as I'd like too.

Porting doesn't win you any friends with the scorers. You don't notice the blast yourself but it is quite fierce standing to one side. Certainly the value is going to be lower with a non ported gun as not many people have been enlightened by the benefits of porting, but mine's a keeper and has paid for itself many times over in comfort if nothing else.  :biggrin:

I had my old 682 done and it does reduce flip but not recoil. 

Yes as I thought.

Did not consider the noise aspect.

Waste of time for recoil.

Have done every thing else.

Guru bud.. Did say not go to all other recoil stuff or I get into trouble on here forrepeatingalltheotherposts.

Much as I love my gun as stated above, what Will has just said has made me think.

If I had a non-ported gun and wanted to improve the recoil and muzzle flip aspect, I would install an Isis system without a doubt, rather than having it ported. :biggrin:

Risking thread drift of which I cannot be accused of.

Trying to improve my scores.

I have tried changing the way I shoot going away, quartering, and other similar targets by shooting gun up.

I have had success with this. But I feel the recoil more than gun down.

It's probaly that I'm getting into the gun more.

I never really felt recoil before.

So just thought I would ask the original question.

May be Isis in the future, will give it a couple of months see if I get used to the recoil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gun fit, forcing cones and wood density all affect recoil, before I had a gun fit my perazzi kicked, now it doesn't, I did have the forcing cones done as well...

like a lot of things to do with shooting clays , all between the ears. if it works for you, all well and good.  :blind:

I don't understand why you'd feel any difference between gun up / down if the fit is correct. I thought there'd be more chance of an incorrect mount starting gun down causing you to feel more recall than the other way around.

I don't understand why you'd feel any difference between gun up / down if the fit is correct. I thought there'd be more chance of an incorrect mount starting gun down causing you to feel more recall than the other way around.
The reasons are varied but mostly to do with the brain not being able to compute recoil as readily when otherwise engaged with seeing, reading and mounting into the bird when shooting gun down. Testing shells on a pattern plate gun up can be quite revealing where recoil is concerned, you also get to see the muzzle flip and disturbance such a you hadn't when shooting moving targets.

It's been my experience that gun fit is an essential and ports are something I am sure other people can love.  I've had several ported guns and none of them were any less prone to muzzle flip than the unported ones.  However, any of the lot with too much down pitch were WAY too muzzle flippy.  Fortunately that is easily (and cheaply) cured.

Several big time coach guys say close to zero is a good # for down pitch.  Works for me.

good luck on those port things

Checked the pitch Wonko. 2" on 32" barrels sporter, same gun 30" barrel 1 3/4". 2 1/2" skeet gun. 1 1/2" trap gun. Just where they are supposed to be.

Like Nicola says it is way easy to make a change to check the effect.  Pure numbers are maybe not the best guide since body form is not a standard AFAIK at any rate.  Mu guns are all less than 1" but that's about as close as I know the numbers.  So mess around with the washers and maybe save yourself a few $ on that port job.

Tinker bell said:
It is dead easy to check pitch.....just unscrew the bottom of the pad and put washers in and screw back up. I am sporting 3 washers on my old Perazzi stock which i am taking to Dub.....because the naughty thing was kicking me in the face .....all sorted now.

(Take a bag of washers to practice and try...1...2...3...or four....simples ...and cheap)
Surely putting washers in increase the pitch.
I will put the washers in and take the gun to under 1" pitch, drop the comb a bit so it does not shoot high and report back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back