Pilla -why so dear?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern

Sorry if this has been asked before, but can somebody explain to me where the cost/value/benefit is in Pilla specs?

£800 plus for some small bits of injection moulded plastic ?

I don’t understand….

I like the pretty colours. I collect them like handbags or shoes 🤩. On a serious note I like not being able to see rims.

There are the 'double' profits to consider - both Pilla & Zeiss must make a decent margin.

I own Pilla's and for me, going from crappy yellow safety glasses to Pilla's did make a noticeable difference, especially in different light conditions. I was lucky enough to try a few different lenses from a chap who really has a 'collection' and sort out which ones work for me, and they do. Are they (stupid) expensive? Yep. Do they work? Yep. Do they make me miss less? Can't say that, but at least I see the clay a bit better even if I don't dust it.

It's the same with any flashy product: A five figure gun does not necessarily shoot better than a three figure gun, but there is something to be said for quality. Also, they wouldn't sell if they didn't work. Whether they work well enough for you to justify the spend is wholly personal.

I always wonder why somebody hasn’t done a decent job of making a cheaper copy version. Maybe just the cache of being the top brand is what people want so perhaps it wouldn’t work

I always wonder why somebody hasn’t done a decent job of making a cheaper copy version. Maybe just the cache of being the top brand is what people want so perhaps it wouldn’t work
JHS do a decent set for reasonable money and brilliant service. I’ve had Pillas they were ok, no better than the ZS Sport kit from JHS to be fair.

Oakley were the best alternative - they do glasses for the US military (TR22 & TR45) which are very good for shooting.

I think the issue is materials - the plastic is key and maintaining clarity and conformity. I don't think its just Phillip Pilla but also Zeiss whose products are never on the cheap side.

I bought top of the range prescription spectacles with ALL the lens options (tints, scratch resistance etc. ) including titanium damage resistant frames for £500 which included my eyesight test from my local optician.

Way before you start spending £££s on Pilla (or any shooting glasses for that matter) I'd suggest getting an eye test to make sure you have 20:20 vision. Surely the first port of call for anyone in this game should be to ensure your eyesight is A1! We all assume we can see fine but reckon most of us have a cheeky +/- 0.5 prescription somewhere...and you'll probably get change from £20 for an eye test!

I'd sooner have 20:20 vision guaranteed with a pair of polycarbonate prescription sunglasses over any super duper HD, shoot in the dark, upside down high end lens!

Last edited:
What happens is you sponsor some of the top shooters with Pilla's etc (that's costs ) then people will follow, thinking unfortunately that Pilla's are the reason their at the top
Cartridge manufactures do a similar thing ;):)

Yes but people love to buy fake Rolexes and there's a roaring trade in fake fashion gear and Perfumes, someone should do it

Latest posts

Back