Perception Is Reality. Or Is It?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a lot more to it than just 'maintained lead' otherwise why do you think that i would be interested (as a confirmed trappy). I find it interesting...full stop...

I have a thirst for learning all things to do with shooting......some help and some don't ....but one thing is for sure....you have to listen to everything and understand it .....before you decide whether it is good for you or not. Well at least that is how I have always operated.....thirst for knowledge.

And now after a fab day at Owls Lodge on the DTR.........(Thanks to all there who made the very busy day in the rain work)........i am off for serious quantities of Gin and to dry off ready for the ABT at Bisley tomorrow.......hope we have as friendly a crowd tomorrow as we had today at Owls Lodge. It is nice to see happy shooters enjoying themselves even if the weather was sh*te :smile:

Now......how the hell do i make a great beef burger........my French student fancies a beef burger...................does it go in the Aga or on top........I need a book....!!

Bye for now

xxxx

Don't start me on Beefburgers , French, and Meat!!!!!

Dice Shergar & Onions, make into 1/2 lb patties, brown both sides in a pan or griddle, serve with salad, mayonnaise and chips or between the two halves of a bap. Follow with a portion of Red Rum or preferably White Rum ( Bacardi) and Coke

Now......how the hell do i make a great beef burger........my French student fancies a beef burger...................does it go in the Aga or on top........I need a book....!!

Bye for now

xxxx
Totally awesome burgers:

500g ish Steak Mince

Salt (to taste)

Pepper (to taste)

1 1/2 Teaspoons Dijon Mustard.

Worcestershire Sauce (several splashes)

2 Egg Yolks

3 Tablespoons Ketchup

Enough Red Onion to equally distribute in the mince

Bind that lot up, make into burgers of a decent thickness then either grill them under a moderate heat, or do them in a pan, again moderate heat, don't fiddle with them too much and don't squish them.

Thanks for the tips...burgers are tomorrow now as I did not have any bloody eggs to bind it all together!!

Ended up on fillet steak Diane....yum yum!!

BAck to Eds first question is perception reality.......only on targets that break......a missed target is one where at the shot the gun  is perceived to in the correct position.......but it was not......perhaps a better question is WHEN is perception reality.....or what can a shooter do to have their perception coincide with reality.....where we have come to in this journey is that there are certain things that the shooter can do to eliminate variables in the shot....we have come full circle on this in our journey and as the neurology expands and as science understands the pathways in the brain more clearly our goal of making perception reality with respect to breaking a moving target consistently....will continue.......

one thing that is for sure is that what you see with respect to lead when you hit a moving target is a perception due to the differences in the arrival time of the information to the motor center from the fovea and the periphery.......with the target in the fovea and the gun in the periphery as the target breaks you will see a picture and to you it will be real but what you saw happened about 200mls to 300mls ago.......this is because information in the periphery must go to many different parts of the brain to be interpreted and then arrives in the motor center as much as 200mls to 300mls after it actually happened.....it is the variance in the arrival time that creates the differences in what you perceive.....for instance one time it might arrive in the motor center 200mls behind and on the next 5 shots the delay is as follows....298, 233, 275, 203, 167......is there any wonder why what you perceive is different shot to shot.......

information in the fovea arrives in the motor center in 5mls or in real time....because of this arrival time differential what you perceive as the target breaks will vary shooter to shooter and even shot to shot for the same shooter.....now enter neural suppression to the equation....

now lets make two examples ........C shooter sporting;......and a Master shooter......the experience of the master shooter involves a much larger amount of neural suppression and what he perceives in a picture the C shooter will never see consistently because the C shooter is aware of sooooo much more visually....in order to give top level performance the brain must be trained to suppress certain moving parts of the scene whilst (yes I am bilingual) at the same time become acutely aware of other very important parts of the remaining scene... also the brain must be given an extremely clear picture in the pre shot routine of the desired out come just prior to the action and the more clear the picture the more consistent the out come......and the more perception is reality.....

so for the C shooter who is comfortable with the gun 3 inches or 6 feet in front of the target as long as the targets leeed is within his/her comfort zone then what he perceives will be much more consistent (95/5 focus ratio) but if the target takes more lead than the shooter is comfortable then even if they can hit 6 targets in a row the perceived leeed as the target breaks will be different shot to shot.....this same shooter will see two to three DIFFERENT pictures but the target will break every time.....(varying focus ratio)

now lets look at the master shooter... to be a master shooter.... as we said before......... there is a certain amount of neural suppression that must occur to elevate their ability to focus and perform at that level.....and at the same time there is a much greater comfort zone with respect to how far in front the gun can play.....a top level master shooter (due to neural suppression) is comfortable playing two or three times farther in front of a target than a C shooter irregardless of how they perceive....

.pay attention.....the farther in front you are comfortable playing in front of the target the more focus you can put on the target......now lets go back to focus ratios......an elite shooter has an ability to focus at a higher level than a C shooter....this is why sometimes it is hard to take a lesson from a great shot because you cant "see" what they see and NEITHER PARTY UNDERSTANDS WHY .... an elite shooter can maintain a focus ratio of 95%/5% target/gun ratio on all shots because of his/her experience and subsequent neural suppression..... the C shooter can at best have an AVERAGE  FOCUS RATIO OF ONLY 60/40 OR 70/30 DUE TO THEIR INEXPERIENCE!  

Soooo often we see shooters constantly looking for the magic bullet that will allow them to elevate their performance without going through the necessary steps of learning because they all want to get it without failing;.....the paradox is that it is how you cope with the failures physically and emotionally that determine how high and how quickly you arrive at the successes...so Ed when is perception reality????? when the performer reaches elite status due to experience their visual abilities change and so do their abilities......

but form the Coaches Korner we will tell you this........... the more elite the shooter the more their pictures fall into about three different perspectives.....if they were to shoot with each other it would not take long for them to discover the differences and go to school on them to their advantage......but even elite shooters see it differently one to another.....but to themselves the better they are the more similar their perspectives become and thus their perspectives are their realties..... our interpretation of the reason for this is first expierence and neural suppression and second that their shot mechanics shot to shot are so remarkably similar..... and the not so elite shooters are out there looking for the magic leeed pill or the magic way to apply leeeed (method) instead of head down and shooting every shot not from the perspective of hit or miss or win or loss but from the perspective of a champion......what did I learn........

"It is not what you know that makes you better.....it's what you are willing to learn".....Vicki Ash

will ck back in tomorrow......never know I just might think of something else to say....or not.....btw what a great thread.....thanks ED

I think it is what we do with our perception that matters, and thus create our own reality (trying not to sound too much like a pot smoking hippy philosopher here!)  :smoke:

I know that sometimes what we "see" is not always what we think we are seeing, and as mentioned in the great thread above, there can be myriad reasons for this.

I know that your system is perhaps one of the most "visually forgiving" methods, especially for older shooters, and once embraced means that many of the problems that typically stem from "Eye Dominace" issues can just be made to go away, although there are always those that don't necessarily follow suit.

After all, i have seen Mrs Ash bust a crosser off her right shoulder and another off her left, and she is TOTALLY cross dominant.

Building up our myelin bundles by repeated, quality practice and allowing ourselves to get into the Zone should enable us to get to the Subconcious Competance stage, uprating our Hardware if you will, but we also must ensure the Software is also up to speed!

I think it is what we do with our perception that matters, and thus create our own reality (trying not to sound too much like a pot smoking hippy philosopher here!)  :smoke:
Homer-hippy-the-simpsons-12409534-300-300.jpg

"None taken!"

Hi Gil. Nice to hear from you again . I gather you are finally going to come over here and see for yourself! I will look forward to it.

In answer to Nicola's point about technique for trap shooting , I think Gil is right about the brain suppressing the image of the gun. When trap shooters see and shoot the clay many think that they do not see the gun despite it being near the centre of their field of view . They appear to see through the gun while focusing on the clay. In effect the brain suppresses the image of the gun. If you want to check on this try making your move on a fixed object on the trap range at about the correct range , then freeze and look where the gun and bead are pointing and the experienced shooters will find they are pointing exactly where they need to be despite thinking that they could not see the gun during the shot .

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back