Oxfordshire Shooting School

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Shot at this CPSA shoot today, not very supported but nice ground . My question is, at a Felt Wad only shoot, is using Plastic wads cheating or not.

Shot at this CPSA shoot today, not very supported but nice ground . My question is, at a Felt Wad only shoot, is using Plastic wads cheating or not.
Not sure if its classed as "cheating" one would ask as to why you'd use plaswad at a ground that has to have in place a "Felt Wad Only" restriction? 

Nice ground, very pleasant people, they do sell cartridges, shot here myself last year, and think the restriction is / has been placed upon them 

Why use plastic anyway? It’s just more pollution.  I’m amazed that anyone is using plastic wads cartridges anywhere to be honest...

I always shoot with fibre/felt wad cartridges , but a well known good shot was using plastic at the fibre only shoot yesterday, the ref / scorer was aware of it.

I asked why the shoot was not well attended I was told it was because this was a fibre only shoot, which makes me think that top shots feel you are at a disadvantage by using them, so is it cheating by using plastic ? I have never missed a target that I would not have missed with a Plastic wad Cartridge . 

Last edited by a moderator:
I always shoot with fibre/felt wad cartridges , but a well known good shot was using plastic at the fibre only shoot yesterday, the ref / scorer was aware of it.

I asked why the shoot was not well attended I was told it was because this was a fibre only shoot, which makes me think that top shots feel you are at a disadvantage by using them, so is it cheating by using plastic ? I have never missed a target that I would not have missed with a Plastic wad Cartridge . 
A mid week shoot, in same week as Owls Lodge which has been running mid week shoots for yonks, they (AGL) also have a mid week shoot in the very same week in the month on the Friday, the ground itself is bit out of the way and at present only a 50 target offering, no single reason, collectively they all chip away at the entries. It took Coleys, another mis week shoot a few years to go from 30-40 regulars to now a near sell out (squadded) 

Fibres are not everyones first choice, personally the ones Ive used are mucky as muck, the ref one feels should have enforced the ground rule.

I shot at oxford and i have to say i found the targets simple and uninspiring when i was there,weird practice but still squadded with an instructor...nothing beyond 25m.

I wish all Grounds a good turn out, and as you say their fixtures do clash and some people do have to earn in the week to be able to support their Hobby .Churchills is now very busy but allow Plastic for their CPSA Shoot . As I say I always Use fibre and don't feel I am at a disadvantage with them and may some times get a bit of Lead but never any plastic down the barrels. At this time it seems plastic is one of the country's worst polluters so maybe its the way forward  

It is amazing how these "well known shots" are always anonymous . Surely if he is well known it is only right that he gets more publicity.

Grounds use fibre wads and enforce restrictions to save polluting the countryside or may have livestock.

To blatantly ignore 'fibre wad only ' rules is rude and could lead to a ground closing forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is amazing how these "well known shots" are always anonymous . Surely if he is well known it is only right that he gets more publicity.

Grounds use fibre wads and enforce restrictions to save polluting the countryside or may have livestock.

To blatantly ignore 'fibre wad only ' rules is rude and could lead to a ground closing forever.
As I said before the Ref/scorer was aware of the Plastic Wads being used, and maybe not to disrupt the rest of the squad did nothing .It should be up to the ground to enforce their own rules in however way they want. my question was is it cheating as by using plastic wads will give an advantage over felt wads    

As I said before the Ref/scorer was aware of the Plastic Wads being used, and maybe not to disrupt the rest of the squad did nothing .It should be up to the ground to enforce their own rules in however way they want. my question was is it cheating as by using plastic wads will give an advantage over felt wads    
If it was done to gain an advantage over others then it's cheating.

Maybe there was a problem with their supply of cartridges and that was the reason. Cheating? Inconsiderate and breaking the rules yes.

They Should be disqualified.

The ref may have acted later and not wished to cause a scene at the time or was unsure what to do.

The Guy using them should have known better really,it’s a bit naughty but if anything it was probably a disadvantage as there were no long targets so the extra spread from felt wad probably helped,i chipped my way around the course with my farty felt wads.💨

The Guy using them should have known better really,it’s a bit naughty but if anything it was probably a disadvantage as there were no long targets so the extra spread from felt wad probably helped,i chipped my way around the course with my farty felt wads.💨
Matt if you had to have had a shoot off and you were using the fibre Wad cartridges as the ground expects and the other guy was using Plastic would that be fair play. well shot anyway with the felt wads you were shooting with  

Hi Rich,if in that situation i would probably have voiced my opinion at the time,or maybe offered him some felt wad to try for the shoot off.i understand your frustration as it’s not a level playing field if not everyone uses felt wads but in my opinion on the targets we shot you were not at a disadvantage,the top sporting score was shot fair and square with fibre wads.i completely agree with you saying it wasn’t fair Rich,but i don’t think it was a ballistic disadvantage on those targets.maybe see you there next time.👍

I thought reg shoots could not stipulate fibre only do,nt know if there is anything in the rule book. Not making excuses for anyone but agree if fibre only was adopted it would solve several issues do,nt know how well that would go down with the cpsa governing body or the main membership like a lead ballon I imagine

Latest posts

Back