open chokes

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"experienced shooters & coaches can see the shot string"

Ok Bryn that is one cabbage for the underlined ... just like crackerjack three and you are out ! :) anyway stop mentioning non functional entities... as they are... well ...non functional and an affront on the forum :) Oh and stop talking "pish" you just drag the debate down :)

As a trappie i have only ever used three quarter full so interested to know what the actual difference is in size to quarter and three quarter at lets say 30 yds ?
I tell you what Ian, 3/8 will smoke an OT target and vaporise a DTL target!!!! (Thats with 24grm red shot )

I think of rifle as a single point in space whereas shotgun is chucking something the size and shape of a dustbin through the air.

Agree using 7.5 fibre through 28" back-bored barrels & cylinder chokes at skeet is a silly idea but I was just just trying to clear space for the 2k Remingtons I'm collecting today (might double that as there's only 6k left at the supplier). It isn't the first time I've had inexplicable non-breaks called by a very experienced shooter/coach standing next to me with that combination, I know that some very experienced shooters & coaches can see the shot string, apparently its like a pencil line. Anyway once I change to the Remingtons I was breaking everything until the high house trap went on strike.
I doubt the pattern would open up enough to allow a clay to fly through unmolested at skeet range regardless of cartridge and choke used, further out then yes it could happen.

I shot an edge on far out crossing come curving clay at a registered some time back, about 10  shooters in front of me (some quite well known) failed to hit it consecutively with just one or two shot.  

I shot it with ¼ choke, hit 3 in a row missing the last one, the watching expert (who is a decent shot) asked what choke I was using. On finding the answer was ¼ he proceeded to tell me I missed the last bird as it slipped through the pattern, ¼ was completely wrong for that distance of clay.

Now if he had bothered to ask the real reason I missed he would have found out that being the last clay I got a little over excited started to move the gun too soon, I then got what my brain perceived was too far in front and stopped the gun to correct and shot behind the clay. No way was that clay being hit with that technique regardless of choke.

As far as the ¼ choke being wrong choice I decided rightly or wrongly the clay was doing too many things at my desired kill point. It was crossing, curling and dropping  I figured opening up would give me more margin for error at that range and was prepared to take the risk of it slipping through the pattern. I reckon getting 3 out of 4 meant it was the right choice for me.

So don’t always take advice from so called experts even if they are not bad shots themselves regards choke selection. Unexplained misses do happen (something went wrong but no one picked up exactly what)  however some feel the need to try and quantify them rather than say I haven't a @!#!!@@ what you did there mate.

Regards the OP I know of one former England sporting captain who does use quite open chokes, it obviously seems to work very well for him.

Can't help I'm not a top shot, and I only patterned my gun once, when I got it to see what was what, what I found was half choke and tighter was great, all of the more open chokes where sh*t, I use 3/4&full now and scores haven't dropped, I'm not a good enough shot to shoot that tight but I shoot for fun and I enjoy tight chokes, and anything out by 30yards I don't think tight is much of a disadvantage,

I recently went to Roundwood.

What I hit I powdered. Brian said their tight chokes.

I had skeet and skeet with Superb 7 1/2.

He said they must be very tight skeet!

I mainly use imp cyl / light mod for most.

Using mod / imp mod for long targets.

I have patterned every choke at 40 yds.

All the patterns are dense.

Pellet mass and more so the "Golden Pellet" is what breaks them.

I tell you what Ian, 3/8 will smoke an OT target and vaporise a DTL target!!!! (Thats with 24grm red shot )
Mate of mine bought a B2G from Joe wheater a few years ago, in the shop he asked for a 3/4 and full choked trap version. Joe then supposidly asked why 3/4 and full and then stated that he shot his trap with cylinder and cylinder, and he did alright.

Only Fred (40up) would know what Joe really had in his tubes, I wouldn't have a clue! Anyway Joe was without doubt one of our best ever!

What's stamped on the choke tubes can be pretty irrelevant it seems.

I've just taken delivery of an MK38 trap gun that's been retro Briley'd. The gun came with two chokes - Modified and Light Full. I've just taken delivery of the following extra chokes Steel Skeet, Steel Improved Cylinder and a Lead only Improved Modified from Chris Potter.

I had them checked yesterday against the gun's actual boring, both barrels were the same internal dimension.

This is what was found with regard to the actual choke constriction.

Steel Skeet - 10 thou

Steel IC - 15 thou

Modified - 22 thou

Improved Modified - 30 thou

Light Full - 34 thou

From Potter's website I saw I needed to order special chokes to shoot steel shot, as we have a duck drive on my game shoot. I was expecting the Steel Skeet to be 5 thou and the Steel IC to be 10 thou from the info on the website. The rest of the chokes were about where I thought the constriction should be.

Is this I wonder why people rave about Briley chokes and their kills, it's because the choke constriction is tighter than expected?

With my last MK38 which was Teague'd the chokes when measured against the actual bore were pretty accurate with regard to constriction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil I reckon most of us that are of a certain age, know that if Mr Teague says its a certain size, then it will be exactly that! The man is a master, no doubt about it! As for any others, well I don't know mate!

I know the 1/4 and 1/2 Briley chokes I got for my Browning ultra XS were tighter when measured and compared to the equivalent standard Browning chokes I got with the gun.

Choke threads do make me want to shi7 in my own eyes but a quick one- the H5 would have no way gone through the pattern with any choke/load combo. That was 100% just a miss.

Carry on..!

I am glad i don't need to concern myself with all this Bollox i shoot what Mr beretta gave me if he says i need three quarter full in my trap gun that's good enough for me.

lots of really good sporting shots tell me  , quarter / half will kill anything on esp ,    but they never shoot  them chokes ,   ?

Having recently shot lots of skeet with 28/8 24/9.5  21/8  27/7.5 carts (all different manufacturers) through Skeet chokes , 1/4 chokes and 1/2 chokes with both a 28' and 32' Beretta I have noticed absolutely sod all difference to my scores so come to the conclusion it's snake oil regards this discipline ..

But I'm a total noob so what do I know...

Last edited by a moderator:
lots of really good sporting shots tell me , quarter / half will kill anything on esp , but they never shoot them chokes , ?
1/4 + 1/2 will probably do what they say. But tighter chokes will do it better.

It's always better to have too much than to be found lacking. It's a confidence thing.

Now then best thing to do is have a go at skeet trap !

Sc last Sat me n Gazza shot a skeet round with our trap guns 3/4 n full !

The hits were amazing, no wind meant a dust cloud hanging in the sky, well it would with 7.5s 28gms VIPs

Try it some time,, its hard to focus through the tears of laughter,

Great fun

I think European skeet and American skeet chokes are different, that's why briley tighter, is European a negative choke? (more open than cyl)

Perazzi screw-in skeet chokes are blunderbuss chokes too

Prolly all screw-in chokes will behave like a tighter one due to the jug choke effect of the entry to the tube that is greater than bore size.  Jug chokes been around for about a hunnert years or more.  Now everybody has them and doesn't even know it.

Perazzi screw-in skeet chokes are blunderbuss chokes too

Prolly all screw-in chokes will behave like a tighter one due to the jug choke effect of the entry to the tube that is greater than bore size. Jug chokes been around for about a hunnert years or more. Now everybody has them and doesn't even know it.
Nice pair of jugs?

Back