No more CLA Game Fair...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
Just saw this being shared:

Dear CLA Member

I very much regret having to inform you that the CLA Board has decided that we can no longer run the CLA Game Fair. This includes cancelling our planned 2016 event at Ragley Hall in Warwickshire.

The decision was taken following confirmation of the disappointing financial performance of this year’s event. Unfortunately the event did not meet its targets for exhibitor and sponsor income and most of all we saw a further decline in attendance.

This year’s performance follows declining ticket sales which resulted in substantial losses at Ragley in 2013 and Blenheim in 2014.

We believe it was right to continue to invest in the event for the last two years, because we were committed to making the event work. However the Board cannot in good faith continue to direct member’s money into a loss making event.

We have been able to make this investment in the Game Fair over the past three years because of the otherwise sound financial position of your Association. We continue to make strong progress in our provision of advice and member services, our lobbying and policy work and we will continue to support a range of events throughout the year.

Over the past three years a dedicated team of CLA employees and volunteers have worked incredibly hard to try and make the Game Fair a success. They have done so faced with an increasingly crowded calendar of outdoor summer events. I am grateful to them all for their efforts and regret the uncertainty that this decision now brings for them.

We have made our announcement today. In that announcement we have made clear that whilst our decision that we can no longer continue to own and run the Game Fair is clear, we will enter a short period of consultation and we are open to proposals on how the Game Fair may be able to continue.

If you would like to give us views and feedback on this decision, please send any comments to us at [email protected].

Yours Sincerely

Henry Robinson

The CLA board are a disgrace. Every year putting up exhibitor and entrance fees to make up for their losses. Then blame the paying public for voting with their feet. It's down to greed. Last year I spent almost £300 and got very little to show for it. The food prices were all tied up with same companies and very expensive. It was much smaller than ever before and we left by 4 o'clock. 

Years ago when it was at Romsey the show was so big you needed three days to get round it.

Agreed, Just to expensive at £35 and £30 on Saturday to get in. There's no real deals to be had once your in as the cost of a trade stand means traders just can't afford to offer any. The NGO refused to go this year along with many others. 

I remember the first year I ever went, I spent all day in the Gundog's section. This year I was through it in an hour.  

I have to agree with Rosso. And I would also add that the decision to hold it constantly in the centre of the Country, while seeming like a good idea, has also killed it off. I know loads of people who used to go when it came around to their region, myself included, so a visit every few years was something to look forward to. Since it has been situated in the "so called" centre of the Country, I have not attended once, and coupled with the extremely high entry price, it has killed off another avenue of pleasure for me and plenty of others. I suppose that is the price you pay for living out on a limb geographically, but the ordinary working man cannot afford to take time and family on such a venture as it proves cost prohibitive.

This will also impact on the Gun trade as a business. I was only talking to a friend at the weekend who had a stand at The CLA and their takings were in excess of £400,000 over the duration of the show. Wipe that off their bottom line next year and that has got to hurt!

This has got to open an opportunity for a committed individual or organisation because I am sure that a National Shooting Show would have great success if approached correctly. By that I mean a show which is ALL about Shooting, making it a celebration of all the shooting sports, including competitions with a National Status after Regional Qualifyers, and lots of "have a go" opportunities. No Fudge, No Cars, No PVC Windows, No Toys and No Tat! These are only put in to maximise revenue from stand space but subsequently price out the associated companies. I go to a Shooting Show to see about shooting related products, not to pick up the latest in floor mops!! For those with long memories, the way it used to be when it worked and worked very well. It would be good to move it around the country to maximise exposure and generate interest in Shooting Sports. Hell! you could even let Scotland have one every few years!!!!  Wales would get one in turn because I like The Welsh!!  :wink:

It's no surprise. Interest has declined and this years event was poor.

The CLA board are a disgrace. Every year putting up exhibitor and entrance fees to make up for their losses. Then blame the paying public for voting with their feet. It's down to greed. Last year I spent almost £300 and got very little to show for it. The food prices were all tied up with same companies and very expensive. It was much smaller than ever before and we left by 4 o'clock. 

Years ago when it was at Romsey the show was so big you needed three days to get round it.
it was a superb event and i greatly enjoyed it..haven't been since,apparently it set a record for attendance just been going down hill ever since raising prices on everything never works as people always vote with there feet and do something else.

was at the midland fair yesterday, been going the last 4 years , must say that gunmakers row did,nt seem as full as usual

plenty of clothes shops and 3......yes 3 music stages, thought it was a gamefair not glastonbury

but the gundog and shooting comps were great, well done to all who shot and ran there dogs

will take the gun next year

Over  priced 

Cliquey "members only" this "members only" that. 

No sympathy.  

Other game fairs are available  

I think they've lost touch a bit with the public, I remember as a kid going and it being full of countryside characters , from dukes to dustmen and keeper and poacher, the last time I went I wasn't sure whether it was a show or an expensive Sunday market, I can't see how they suffer a loss, traders pay, public pay, the people who stage the event must be raping the CLA purse, I think the midland may end up the same way, I was really confused this year.  Wasn't sure if the live music were people who hadn't left the V festival or a car boot sale, very disappointed 

It is rumoured elsewhere it cost 4.27m pounds to stage and generated £3.9m in revenue. What on earth cost 4.27? Somebody somewhere did handsomely from that event.

You can build a country mansion worthy of a Duke for that amount. 

I think the CLA have got a bloody cheek! They blame falling ticket sales yet appear to have no clue why! We shall see if they can be bothered to check out the comments on fora and other social mediamedia...... I seriously doubt it. 

I think they've lost touch a bit with the public, I remember as a kid going and it being full of countryside characters , from dukes to dustmen and keeper and poacher, the last time I went I wasn't sure whether it was a show or an expensive Sunday market, I can't see how they suffer a loss, traders pay, public pay, the people who stage the event must be raping the CLA purse, I think the midland may end up the same way, I was really confused this year.  Wasn't sure if the live music were people who hadn't left the V festival or a car boot sale, very disappointed 
CLA. If you're listening this /\ /\ /\ is pretty much what went wrong.

agree with all above ,   im working class  try taking a family  it cost a fortune just for entry  , food and drink way overpriced   ,  cla  have lost the plot , 

Look out for the tree huggers and yoghurt knitters. I think they may be on the horizon for a new event next year.

If they can't make money with those prices they must be half wits. Went for the first time this year. Enjoyed the shooting stuff, fishing was tiny, dogs was disappointing but miles better than the Scone Game Fair. It too is becoming irrelevant 

The loss of the CLA Game Fair is sad news, I'd be very curious to see a break-down of the costs of staging such an event though some of the stats are pretty eye watering:

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/features/cla-game-fair-facts-37915

Even so 113,000 people at £20 a go is a large pile of cash plus a 1000+ exhibitor fees.....feels like we need more information to judge where the CLA failed on this one.   This year's location up near Leeds wasn't practical for many people including myself (have been to the previous 8 shows) and seemed an ill conceived decision and I said the same to the CLA when they called to chase up my membership fee....I didn't renew.

Latest posts

Back