Met Police release all the addresses of cert holders

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly not...now cyber-criminals seeking a firearm have another place to go and hack in a search for a list of addresses of certificate holders.

"The company behind it was formed by an ex-police detective"

I wonder if his ex-police credentials had any sway in getting the met to advertise his product.

I have just read the link and it mentions Smartwater , a Telford Shropshire based Company .

This accounts for the security breach and publication of sensitive data .

We are not the brightest , sharpist people in Shropshire , possibly due to lots of inbreeding .

I love my Sister who is my Brother's Mother on her Father's side who lives with my Aunty who is my ex Wife. :lol:

Metropolitan Police obviously managed by Telford & Wrekin Council

I have just read the link and it mentions Smartwater , a Telford Shropshire based Company .

This accounts for the security breach and publication of sensitive data .

We are not the brightest , sharpist people in Shropshire , possibly due to lots of inbreeding .

I love my Sister who is my Brother's Mother on her Father's side who lives with my Aunty who is my ex Wife. :lol:

Metropolitan Police obviously managed by Telford & Wrekin Council
Wow!! and they gave you a SGC  :D

thought they had to ask to release data under the data protection act , could be illegal.

looks like we could be seeing a lot more incidents like George digweds horrendous experience

Disturbing, but a quick Google shows the following:

Information notice

As part of a recent crime prevention campaign we wrote to all our current shotgun and firearms certificate holders; as a result of this some concerns have been raised about the release of personal information to third party mailing companies, namely Corporate Document Services (CDS) and their sub-contractors Yes Direct Mail.

We take our responsibility for the protection of your data very seriously and would like to reassure you that both of these companies are registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), hold various security accreditations and are subject to the Data Protection Act. CDS have a contract with the government via the Crown Procurement Frame to deliver services on behalf of public sector institutions.

Following concerns raised by our certificate holders we have been in touch with both CDS and Yes Direct Mail to confirm that all personal data has been deleted in line with their policies. No personal data was provided to SmartWater. We have been in contact with the ICO, who are aware of the early concerns raised. 

https://beta.met.police.uk/advice-and-information/firearms-licensing/

Disturbing, but a quick Google shows the following:

Information notice

As part of a recent crime prevention campaign we wrote to all our current shotgun and firearms certificate holders; as a result of this some concerns have been raised about the release of personal information to third party mailing companies, namely Corporate Document Services (CDS) and their sub-contractors Yes Direct Mail.

We take our responsibility for the protection of your data very seriously and would like to reassure you that both of these companies are registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), hold various security accreditations and are subject to the Data Protection Act. CDS have a contract with the government via the Crown Procurement Frame to deliver services on behalf of public sector institutions.

Following concerns raised by our certificate holders we have been in touch with both CDS and Yes Direct Mail to confirm that all personal data has been deleted in line with their policies. No personal data was provided to SmartWater. We have been in contact with the ICO, who are aware of the early concerns raised. 

https://beta.met.police.uk/advice-and-information/firearms-licensing/
Point ..... missed!

There is a list of addresses that a leaflet was sent to. That list identifies, by address, where firearms are most probably stored.

A bit like compiling an anonymised address list of say, paeodophiles. The list is harmless right up to the point it falls into some nutters hands.

Unless there is a series of Chinese walls between the publisher of the pamphlet, the postal service, the addressing system and the administration system then there is a list of gun owners addresss available. Matters not if the names of those owners are published.

They still passed the data on. Doesn't matter if those companies have the worlds best security and had been cleared by every known and unknown agency.

On the application form for grant and renewals the only people you give permission to share your information with are clearly listed.

"I understand that all information submitted will be handled in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and connected legislation. I understand and give consent for information contained within my application form or obtained in the course of deciding the application to be shared with: my GP, other government departments, regulatory bodies or enforcement agencies in the course of either deciding the application or in pursuance of maintaining public safety or the peace."

A third party security firm and a letter stuffing company are very clearly not covered by that.

Back