Met Police Shotgun Cert Grant

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimO69

Hi,

does anyone have any inside info on when the Met might resume the process of granting new SGC applications?

Their website says (as it has all year) that they’re unable to process new applications as social distancing requirements mean they can’t do home visits.

I hear other forces have been conducting these “visits” online during lockdown.  

I’ve asked BASC about it but they’ve only been told what I was told when I emailed the FE team this week - watch the website.

I suppose we are still technically in lockdown and I know the cops have other things to do, but the lack of info is getting a little frustrating.

It would be nice to know, for example, if they plan to resume in April when the shops are allowed to reopen or if they’re going to wait until all measures are lifted in June (please God no!)

Any info you may have gratefully received.

Jim 

Generally speaking, renewals are being done remotely but grants aren’t as a personal visit’s required. That probably won’t change until the governments social distancing advice is amended.

Give them a call or drop them an email and ask them. I’m sure they’ll tell you what they know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had my visit on the 1st March from Humberside Police, still waiting for my licence to land though.

Had my visit on the 1st March from Humberside Police, still waiting for my licence to land though.
From the visit to getting my SGC took 10 weeks........and that was before Covid was invented.

Sent my renewal online to SWP early January, emailed them last week as the expiration date is fast approaching, reply was “keep your old certificate and this reference number, your details have been passed onto a FEO”

We had our council tax Bill a few weeks ago, and guess what, the precept for SWP has once again risen and the service has declined. If other “essential “ people can enter your homes to carry out work with all the necessary COVID precautions in place, I would argue that the police as an essential service can do exactly the same.

A person I know was due to be made redundant with a lot of others just pre Covid, they put the staff on furlough instead, over 12 months later their still on furlough but there's no job for them when it ends

A lot of companies are using Covid as an excuse for poor service and a money saver

From the visit to getting my SGC took 10 weeks........and that was before Covid was invented.
To be fair the FLO did say it could take up to 8 weeks, now 5 weeks in so fingers crossed I will be sorted in the next few weeks.

Sent my renewal online to SWP early January, emailed them last week as the expiration date is fast approaching, reply was “keep your old certificate and this reference number, your details have been passed onto a FEO”

We had our council tax Bill a few weeks ago, and guess what, the precept for SWP has once again risen and the service has declined. If other “essential “ people can enter your homes to carry out work with all the necessary COVID precautions in place, I would argue that the police as an essential service can do exactly the same.
Should be no issue with renewals, Suffolk had mine back to me in 7 days

I’m in the Met area too, applied August last year - like an idiot I let my license expire a year ago, then missed it too much. 

Latest I got was 31/3 they start looking at new grants but there’s an undisclosed backlog. 

I half feel like charging interest!

It would have been nice if they could have used the period when they’re not doing home visits to clear the backlog as best they can. I’m resigning myself to not getting my SGC until late summer, perhaps the autumn. 😒

Well yes exactly, me too. And if someone can come to my house and service my boiler.... 
Plumbers tend not to return to a station, packed with fellow plumbers. Should, God forbid, a large number of a town’s plumbers get infected and are unable to work, there’ll be people having cold showers. If large swathes of police officers are rendered unfit for work, there could be slightly more serious consequences.

Added to that, mental health is a serious concern right now, I wouldn’t imagine the police are in a mad rush to issue people with the means to buy guns, it might not end well.

It’s not difficult to work out.

*Most* FEOs are not actually working out of a police station nowadays. A lot are not even police officers, but rather were previously, or ex forces, working as civilians for the police. Most also work from home, simply accessing the databases for the paperwork.

The delay is purely down to the home visits... and like it or not, they have to comply with the restrictions also. So yes, the police CAN enter your house, if needed (i.e. an emergency), but most will consider a new SGC grant as non-critical. They have been working on backlogs as much as possible, clearing the renewals (most of which do not need a home visit prior).

I think you’ll find that they start up again pretty soon, with the latest easing of restrictions.

And don’t go by the web sites... the FEOs are pretty good generally speaking, and you’ll soon get the call to arrange the visit! Just because a web site says “not accepting new grants” doesn’t mean they are not working on the ones they have, checking GP records and ‘intelligence’ etc.

Fingers crossed for you all 🤞

Back