Meadowcroft 15th Nov 100 ESP Reg

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So....

What is the secret for the infamous (very) low incomer over the pond? Do you want to take it pretty much as soon as you see it or is it best left till it slows down right infront of you?

So....

What is the secret for the infamous (very) low incomer over the pond? Do you want to take it pretty much as soon as you see it or is it best left till it slows down right infront of you?
Im always reluctant to answer these questions due to still having a great big L on my back but the way I see it (and I did take some very late) there is a lot going on there because it did not seem that slow to me and it is still moving and dropping and getting closer to you - lots of variables.  In fact the first one I took very late almost forgot about it, had to find it and reacted on instinct.  I got it but I would not like to take it that way al the time.  Tony took it early but then he has the speed for it.  In my ideal world I would take those as soon as I could rather than wait.  It reminded me of another target at Westonwood a few weeks back, an orange one that came towards you from the bushes and went to the left slightly, dropping in front of you.  It was paired I think with a close rabbit that had a short run before disappearing behind a tree.  So many people took it too late and missed.  I took it almost as soon as I saw it come out of the bush area because it was at its most stable at that point and far easier than closer in.  I managed 7/8 on that stand.

i have to say though with those type of targets like the one over the pond, it is often late  before I pick it up properly.  The orange colour really is my enemy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having read all the crap about handing in cards and technical stands and how much payout is lets just go back to the price increase . How can you justify a hike in prices when inflation is zero if not negative .. Investing in improvements that the shooter is paying for while greedy ground owners keep the same profit margin doesn't seem fair to me. Other grounds manage to keep entry fees below £40 and still improve the grounds and the facilities 

I know where I shoot it's under £30 for 100 good quality targets on practice days so you can even forget to hand your card in as well

J
Grounds can take the scores off the tracking sheets if cards are not handed in and send to cpsa. There are a lot a lot of grounds that only put on 10 x stands for £39.50 and one I know only pays one place in the class. Sometimes Its along way to go for 10 stands and that annoys a lot of shooters. Grounds should publish how many stands they put on. Steve Lovatt I think has never put on 10 x stands. Normally 12 or 14 or more. Extra equipment / stands = more money invested, so for not a lot more money your getting extra stands, variety and ultimately enjoyment so I don't get why it seems dear at £40.00 when other grounds charge similar fees for less and don't pay out proper prize money.

Grounds can take the scores off the tracking sheets if cards are not handed in and send to cpsa. There are a lot a lot of grounds that only put on 10 x stands for £39.50 and one I know only pays one place in the class. Sometimes Its along way to go for 10 stands and that annoys a lot of shooters. Grounds should publish how many stands they put on. Steve Lovatt I think has never put on 10 x stands. Normally 12 or 14 or more. Extra equipment / stands = more money invested, so for not a lot more money your getting extra stands, variety and ultimately enjoyment so I don't get why it seems dear at £40.00 when other grounds charge similar fees for less and don't pay out proper prize money.
Well said. More stands also means shooters are more spread out = less queueing.

The ground I was referring to has 12 stands of good quality targets and practice round is under £30. It's not the price of shooting its value for money, I work hard all week for my money and want value from it when I spend it. I simply don't think that any price increase can be justified in the present climate. Has the cost of clays gone up? Not to my knowledge my club is still paying the same price as last year. Do these grounds pay the refs more ? No , from what I hear from the refs they are getting the same money for the day. So why the increase ? It's a simple question which I can answer with my money going where I think I get value from it . If the rest of you want to spend £40 in the hope of picking up something in prize money then that's your choice it's just not for me.

J

The ground I was referring to has 12 stands of good quality targets and practice round is under £30. It's not the price of shooting its value for money, I work hard all week for my money and want value from it when I spend it. I simply don't think that any price increase can be justified in the present climate. Has the cost of clays gone up? Not to my knowledge my club is still paying the same price as last year. Do these grounds pay the refs more ? No , from what I hear from the refs they are getting the same money for the day. So why the increase ? It's a simple question which I can answer with my money going where I think I get value from it . If the rest of you want to spend £40 in the hope of picking up something in prize money then that's your choice it's just not for me.

J
Can you define what you mean by a 'practice round'? Is it registered? Does it have referees? How much is "under £30"...£29? £28? £25? £20?

I have no axe to grind, just interested in the detail...

No its not rregistered but if shooters don't hand in their cards as suggested in this thread its not really any different is it . Its a purely practice ground so you can shoot all 12 stands or stay on the ones that are causing you a problem until you can hit them.  The cost is £29 for 100 targets So in my book good value for money as opposed to £40 for a 100 and if you miss everything on a stand you cant go back to find out where you went wrong.  I know its not for eeveryone but it works for a lot of us

J

Forget inflation or deflation!  You sell at what you can attract customers to pay.  If you over charge on your prices then attendance goes down and you sell less.

Whilst Steve can sell out his days at his prices the price will hold up or increase.

If you don't like his prices then go somewhere else.

Clearly there is plenty of demand for what he supplies and the prices he supplies at.  That is the way to make a profit.

What's the point of creating a whole load of work because you get too many entries at too low a price when you can make more money and do less work at a better price and still get enough people without it being overcrowded.  Its a fine balance that Steve has got about right because without a few people moaning the price is not high enough - speaking as a retired accountant!

No its not rregistered but if shooters don't hand in their cards as suggested in this thread its not really any different is it . Its a purely practice ground so you can shoot all 12 stands or stay on the ones that are causing you a problem until you can hit them.  The cost is £29 for 100 targets So in my book good value for money as opposed to £40 for a 100 and if you miss everything on a stand you cant go back to find out where you went wrong.  I know its not for eeveryone but it works for a lot of us

J
So you have been trying to compare the price of practice clays to competition clay prices...it's like comparing apples to oranges. Keep in mind, £5 of the '£40' is prize money...

Ok so it's still £29 for 100 clays versus £35 for birds only at a cpsa registered shoot and bear in mind only 3 or 4 shooters per class will pick up any money. As much as I like to compete in a competition I don't think either 35 or 40 quid is good value , as I've said before it's not the cost I would happily pay £40 if I felt I was getting value for money but at knowing what clays cost and how much refs get paid for the day I feel some grounds take advantage 

I will continue to be selective of who I pass my hard earned cash to

J

Ok so it's still £29 for 100 clays versus £35 for birds only at a cpsa registered shoot and bear in mind only 3 or 4 shooters per class will pick up any money. As much as I like to compete in a competition I don't think either 35 or 40 quid is good value , as I've said before it's not the cost I would happily pay £40 if I felt I was getting value for money but at knowing what clays cost and how much refs get paid for the day I feel some grounds take advantage 

J
When you say £29 for a practice round of 100 birds - is that self trapping or you have someone trapping and scoring every stand for you?

I always think REG shoots are great value for money as all you need do is turn up, hand over your card, load your gun and shoot. For £35 I get to shoot a good layout at grounds I normally wouldnt entertain like RBSS, WLSS and EJ Churchills due to the requirement (and therefore additional cost) to have a caddy. 

No it's all automatic traps you may have to press the button and score yourself if you want to keep track of the hits 

The group I shoot with either use it as a practice and work on the targets we struggle with or we will have a competition between us and winner gets bacon roll and coffee bought for him by the lowest scorer just to keep the element of competition going and having saved a few quid per week we feel we get better value than offered by some of the commercial grounds who seem to be more interested in profit and how to take money from the shooter rather than giving vfm

J

No it's all automatic traps you may have to press the button and score yourself if you want to keep track of the hits 

The group I shoot with either use it as a practice and work on the targets we struggle with or we will have a competition between us and winner gets bacon roll and coffee bought for him by the lowest scorer just to keep the element of competition going and having saved a few quid per week we feel we get better value than offered by some of the commercial grounds who seem to be more interested in profit and how to take money from the shooter rather than giving vfm

J
If we look at your £29 practice round, going by your reasoning that competition ground owners are robbing you by charging £35...then you yourself are being robbed for your practice round!!!

J
Then you are definetly comparing apples to oranges. My club 100 practice is £25 a 100 but a £90 membership. But I do not compare that in any way to a registered shoot where you need a dedicated ref on 10-14 stands for the entire day, extra hands for trap refills & maint, extra hands for signing in, checking scorecards, catering, inputting scores to the CPSA software and other bits I have missed. If that alone doesnt justify £6 over just a practice session then you really are a hard person to please!

If we look at your £29 practice round, going by your reasoning that competition ground owners are robbing you by charging £35...then you yourself are being robbed for your practice round!!!
not sure I follow the logic here if there is any can you explain 

J

not sure I follow the logic here if there is any can you explain 

J
The ground I practice at is £20/100 practice. 20p/clay. 14 stands sporting, 6 DTL, 4 ABT, 2 skeet and 8 trap compact sporting...

Never posted before but here goes

Having read the previous posts I did not realize what a good deal I was getting, I pay £21 for 100 practice (after £40 membership fee per year) I also get a 10% no bird allowance so if its a good day (not many no birds) I can shoot a few more, as long as I return the counter with no more than 110 on it everyone is happy. There are always 11 stands with 2,3 or 4 targets on each. The same shooting ground has also just started running 100 bird Reg. shoots on a Tuesday or Thursday which run throughout a calendar month and prizes are paid out at the end of the month. The cost of entry is currently £32. Must be the best deal around at the moment !

Never posted before but here goes

Having read the previous posts I did not realize what a good deal I was getting, I pay £21 for 100 practice (after £40 membership fee per year) I also get a 10% no bird allowance so if its a good day (not many no birds) I can shoot a few more, as long as I return the counter with no more than 110 on it everyone is happy. There are always 11 stands with 2,3 or 4 targets on each. The same shooting ground has also just started running 100 bird Reg. shoots on a Tuesday or Thursday which run throughout a calendar month and prizes are paid out at the end of the month. The cost of entry is currently £32. Must be the best deal around at the moment !
Now that's what I call value for money so if one club can do it why can't they all do it for this price the answer could be many and varied but it could also be greed 

It also depends where it is. How far to drive. Ground rent all different. How much equipment. 

Quality of targets. How many staff. You get what you pay for. 

J
You obviously dont shoot registered competitions & dont understand the concept between a practise shoot & a registered competition !.

How many practise entries does your chosen ground get through on a day ? What happens when a stand goes down ?

When operating a Reg event you need to be on the ball to get 150/200 plus shooters through in a few hours, this means extra staff which comes at a cost !

How much does a ref get paid according to you ?

My point is that at £29 per 100 practise against £33 for 100 ESP reg birds only is not a lot less for a whole lot more !!!!

Are you a cpsa registered shooter ??, if not i suggest that you go along to a 100 ESP Reg event to see how its all structured & operates.

If cost saving is a major factor then i ask "do you take your own food into a restaraunt & ask them to cook it for you to save some £££'s ? "

Latest posts

Back