Loads Of Pitch Feels Right

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbob 2705

Hi All,

Basically fitting my new adjustable butt pad system (XPad) and I'm changing the pitch at the same time to suit me

In the past I've always found when mounting that the shotgun pivots on my shoulder, not giving a nice firm mount and almost rocking back and forth 

So now I've set it (using pitch spacers) so that it gives simultaneous contact with my shoulder, and doesn't pivot - Feels a lot better and my mount feels more solid and consistent. I've set it so it feels comfortable from a great range of target heights (from rabbits to driven) as I mainly do sporting clays

I'd class the pitch as positive i.e. the heel of the stock sticks out more than the toe

Doing the door frame pitch test, I'm getting a distance of 9" at 28" barrel length - which is a massive amount!

There's so much positive pitch in fact that the top lever can't touch the door frame if the buttpad is flat on the floor!

Problem is I've never seen a shotgun with so much pitch before...and I'm just thinking have I got something wrong?

I haven't had a shot with it yet, but I'm going to tomorrow as that will make my decision up - but I'm just curious if anyone knows of anyone who shoots with a large amount of pitch?

Many Thanks,

James

That does sound an awful lot, but we are all different shapes. I suspect when you fire it, it will slip out under your arm pit, but try it and see. It may be perfect for you but suspect it may need adjusting back. Let us know how it goes.  :biggrin:

That does sound a bit extreme, mine is more the other way, say maybe an inch or two from rib to wall when stood flat with action touching the surface. It's always been my understanding that's partly responsible for making the gun recoil less flippy so would be interested what you think after firing it.

That does sound an awful lot, but we are all different shapes. I suspect when you fire it, it will slip out under your arm pit, but try it and see. It may be perfect for you but suspect it may need adjusting back. Let us know how it goes.  :biggrin:
TD

I think he means the other way around .i.e. top of pad is further back than bottom so will tend to slide up the shoulder rather than down it. This action is countered by the force of the face on the comb pushing it down. Might give you a smack in the cheek bone though if the face is not firmly down!!

DT

TD

I think he means the other way around .i.e. top of pad is further back than bottom so will tend to slide up the shoulder rather than down it. This action is countered by the force of the face on the comb pushing it down. Might give you a smack in the cheek bone though if the face is not firmly down!!

DT
Oooops! Only 180 deg. wrong. I think I must have mis-read the post, or asssumed he was shooting the gun upside down. I stand corrected DT.   :biggrin:

Either way, a lot of pitch, and I'm sure will prove uncomfortable.

TD

DT
Thanks DT.
I guess I'll find out tomorrow, I've never really suffered from cheek slap or a sore cheek before so I'm hoping that it should easily be noticeable if it's bad

Try shooting at a rising 'teal' type target. You will soon learn where your gun is shooting. If you need to blot it out, the gun is flat, if you see the bird on the end of the gun and break it, then, I would suggest it is shooting high. 

Thanks for the help Wesley.

Went out today and took 60 shots, and no noticeable cheek slap or muzzle rise/flip

I have taken a video from side on to see what the recoil is like, and there is a slight bit of muzzle rise but nothing that serious - although does anyone have a video of what it should look like? I guess in a perfect world it would be straight back, but I'm sure it's not the most important thing in the world.

Also I have the adjustable butt pad down low (large drop at heel) so it's going to always have some muzzle rise I guess

Many Thanks,

James

BUT did you hit anything ????
Not that much BUT it was extremely windy, the sun was low and in my eyes, and it was sleeting and I'm still not 100% sure where the gun is shooting

The pitch definitely helped with a consistent mount, as did the increased drop at heel (so I can keep a more upright head position, which is my preference).

Now its just a case of shortening the stock ever so slightly (the spacers have made it slightly too long to mount that easily) and sorting out the comb position, which is easy enough to do as I've got an adjustable comb

So hopefully with a pattern plate AND shooting a couple of targets, I'll get it all sorted...

Latest posts

Back