Stock Pitch

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AW13

Can anyone explain the importance of pitch to me please.

I have shot a Browning 725 as my main clay gun, but I recently bought a mint condition Beretta 692 just because I have never shot a Beretta o/u apart from the odd 'go' with a friends gun.

The 692 has more pitch, the bottom of the stock, toe?, is about 1/4 longer when I measure the LOP than the top of the butt pad. 

I have set the 692 to the middle of the pad to 15 1/2 inches the same as the 725 but I am finding that it seems a little short when I mount from low gun. The top of the pad does not connect with my shoulder but the bottom toes does connect first.  Seems odd to me. 

I think I need to add another 1/4 inch to the 692, tested with one of those soft temporary pads.

Do all Beretta's have a similar pitch and should I alter it to be identicle to the Browning.  It did cross my mind that perhaps the Browning should have some pitch but as I have only used the supplied stock pad I have never thought about it before.

Thanks

I have no answer to your question but the experts will chime in soon and clarify. Lots of knowledge in here.

I think it is fair to say the feel and handling of a Browning / Miroku compared to a Beretta / Perazzi / CG is quite different, to me at any rate to the point that I just do not get on that well with the first group. I have owned a number of Miroku and Brownings but always revert back to the Italian guns as their feel suits me so well.  Never tried a Krieghoff, I would hate to fall in love with something I could never afford 😙

One thing I found when looking for a 725 for my wife was the amount of variation between the stocks on the shelf, I picked up a couple which seemed to feel different so the rfd and myself took 7 identical sporting guns off the shelf and turned them on their ribs, looking under the stocks / placing a steel 1mt rule which showed the differences and may have differences in pitch but we never checked that.  Sorry I am waffling a bit here.

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone explain the importance of pitch to me please.
When the pitch is correct, the entire pad is in full contact with the shoulder pocket when you pull the trigger. If you watch a top shot like Chris C is shooting there's virtually no muzzle flip because his pitch is spot on.

It's quite common with wrong pitch that when the toe is properly in contact with the shoulder, there's a gap or lighter contact between the heel (top) and the shoulder. This causes 2 problems, first is increased muzzle flip (simple physics) and secondly the risk of hitting the cheek because of the upward movement of the gun when fired. 

If the heel makes more contact than the toe it can batter the shoulder, especially the collar bone

Thanks, that is very useful

I will get my guns checked. I don't suffer at all from recoil but I get muzzle rize on the Browning.

Pitch will alter the poi. Muzzle flip is a non relevant entity and seriously over thought. Lop, cast is the key but over all the neutral balance point of the gun is what determines is movement and handling 

Thank you Ben. The last time I mentioned that altering the pitch would alter the POI, on this Forum, I was well and truly shot down. I know that it does, due to personal experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back