lifting head....?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i seem to have developed a really bad habit in the last 2 shoots.... lifting my head.

seems since i have moved my stance so its a bit more open i.e., from left toe and right heel being in line to centre of trap to a small 2-3in gap i.e., rotated left a smidge under advice i seem to have:

1) started placing less weight on my front leg and rocking between shots

2) started to lift my head pre 1st barrell and really badly on 2nd barrell and the later feels like i am stabbing at the target.

3) getting really annoyed with myself

4) started to note where the bead it which results in a miss!

I know i have had a bad week at work but .... i seem to have totally lost my timing and am killing the birds a smidge slower kinda 0.3_s slower which just feels wrong. was always the straight birds i fluffed today:-(. If my timing is fast i shoot well but couldnt pick the targets up at all today. hence possibly why i lifted my head????

does anyone have any advice how to keep my head down or pick targets up earlier?

DON'T look at the beads or rib!, look out to where you're going to break the clay - ignore the gun entirely :wink:

OT/ABT is not like DTL - in order to rotate sufficiently your balance is between the feet, not leaning forward with one heel in the air. Try this test - put most of your weight on your forward leg, rotate your shoulders through 180degrees. The knee limits the rotation [not surprising as it's a forward and back joint] Now place your balance between both feet and try again.

Last edited by a moderator:

It would be useful to know which trap discipline you're struggling with?

Bit of velcro on your cheek and a bit of velcro on the cheek piece, sorted. :.:

Duct tape is good too - worked for me :( It's a good job I haven't got more hair :.:

Your hold position might be wrong (Gun and where your eyes are focused when you call for the target), your gun doesn't fit or you are just not concentrating enough!

I remember one instructor I knew saying that he had a trick to stop clients lifting their head, when they swore that they were not. He made them stick a £20 note on the comb and hold it there with their cheek. Instructor gets it if it falls off. :wink:

Assuming that your gun fit and stance is correct then try this simple training exercise. Shoot a couple of lines preferably on your own, concentrate on keeping your face on the stock for a second or two after the shot and nothing else. Dont concern yourself too much if you miss some targets this exercise is all about re training your head to stay on the comb not hitting targets. Now shoot a line concentrating on nothing else but seeing and shooting the leading edge of the target dont look for the target look for the front edge this helps to focus entirely on the job in hand. If this and all else fails you may want to consider trying a high rib gun but be warned that they can take a while to adapt too. Good luck let us know how you get on.

Get this myself occasionally, but on sporting. It usually happens when I've had a decent few shoots and have been shooting quite well. Instructor had a look and told me I was getting over confident and looking up to see the bird break before I had completed the shot.

I now try to have a little exaggerated follow through wether I break it or not just to make sure the shot is completed.

Hi, yes your follow through method is pretty much the same as mine but explained more succintly. However its done one thing is certain and that is that contact with the comb must be maintained throughout the shot.

Regards - Ian

I see some shooters completely unmount the gun as they fire, as if they had finished a second earlier.

Get this myself occasionally, but on sporting. It usually happens when I've had a decent few shoots and have been shooting quite well. Instructor had a look and told me I was getting over confident and looking up to see the bird break before I had completed the shot.

I now try to have a little exaggerated follow through wether I break it or not just to make sure the shot is completed.
Yep happens to me i straighted the first 5 stands at a shoot other day then missed the very last bird on next two stands,my mate told me i was lifting my head off,as you said fuzz to see the kill

Latest posts

Back