Ladbrook & Langton Gunsmiths

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting point about porting is that the holes/slots are placed slightly more centrally on the top barrel because the mid-rib prevents optimum placement on the lower barrel. Noise/looks issues aside this has the affect of making the flip characteristics more equal between the two since the flippier top barrel is somewhat more tamed but also the one that needs it more in any case if you know what I mean. I had my old spec 682 done and it makes a definite difference in flip, though not perceptibly in recoil in my opinion. I would happily have the racier slots done to my 682e were it not for the noise issue alone, value wise I doubt it makes an ounce of difference which on a 12 year old gun would hardly be worth worrying about.

Really it would not de-value the gun?I would have thought more persons would prefer not to buy a gun with ported barrels in the first instance???

I can understand someone not wanting a 6 months old K80 with holes but to all intents and purposes normal ported guns sell just as well, my old gun lasted 4.5 minutes on the racks /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gif. People pay to port guns even today, so no reason to think some wouldn't jump at the chance of buying one ready ported.

I think it depends on the age and make. Take my old 6000 - I bought it new in 1997 I think. I had it modified, forcing cones, top barrel taken out to ½, stock cast to suit a left-hander and the bottom barrel ported. Cash ran out to I intended to have the top one done at a later date. The gun was £670 IIRC, although my memory isn't the best. All the mods cost another £300-400. After all these years it's in great condition, action still tight, but what's it worth? Not much probably but I think that would be the case if it was completely standard. It's a great gun for a beginner or someone who wants an all-rounder. It you're talking about a high-end Beretta/Perazzi/B25/whatever, then yes, I guess 2nd hand buyers want something less messed about with

I guess there is someone out there who is a potential customer! Not for me though I am afraid. There are many other things you can do to make your gun perform better recoil wise before you take the step of porting the barrels though. Unless your are old and weak then I guess you would need to look to an auto! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

Back