Jack Pyke 2016

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you live close enough to the action and enter plenty of these bigger shoots then it's inevitable that sooner or later you run into unimaginative targets. It has to be said that it is a big ask for a designer to continue producing fun stands especially since we all seem to want 12-14 of them but certain things should be obvious as no no's. Lots of close targets, especially 5 yard ones would be my personal idea of tedious (use rude word). Having said this I wish I could go to all these shoots some of you guys seem to accommodate in your diary. 

OK! It's late. I've had a couple of beers. So my usual policy of quitting posting on here (lest I get slagged by somebody for having an opinion) is on hold for a minute.. But I agree with Martin. What a weird shoot. Some crazy stands with 5 yard targets (that were just not invented for a shotgun) followed by some 80 yard simmo pairs. When I got to some "normal" stands in the middle, I cocked those up too, due to shock. Not a great course.  Nice cafe, nice staff, but an odd course to say the least. Over and out again for a long while. Or always..
Grab another beer and bag of nuts, I'm close to writing a post! But haven't had a beer yet .

In all honesty, I was meant to shoot the Jack Pyke but after shooting the premier league shoot there, I really didn't enjoy shooting the targets at all.

A pretty boring steady old course.

And I was told that the Jack Pyke targets were likely to be worse! So I cancelled.

Looks like I made the right choice, as it's a fair old drive.

Got Barbury England Selection shoot & Westfield double header Sunday! Now they will be good targets ?

Good decision Dean.  This was billed as the "Jack Pyke English Open" with £5650 of prize money paying down to 8th in class, and 3rd in category. Sounded like this was going to be one of those not to be missed shoots. Well to me it didn't fit that bill. It to me (only my opinion) it was little more than a mediocre registered shoot if that. Disappointing, and as i said said earlier in this thread 1st impressions count. Everything else at this ground is 1st class, staff, facilities, but the targets let it down sadly.

It sounds like they could do with getting in an experienced course setter to help balance the course and bring new ideas.

As you say the ground it's self is fantastic! 

I thought the High Tower challenge was set very well for all abilities yet I'd be surprised if that gets straighted!

OK! It's late. I've had a couple of beers. So my usual policy of quitting posting on here (lest I get slagged by somebody for having an opinion) is on hold for a minute.. But I agree with Martin. What a weird shoot. Some crazy stands with 5 yard targets (that were just not invented for a shotgun) followed by some 80 yard simmo pairs. When I got to some "normal" stands in the middle, I cocked those up too, due to shock. Not a great course.  Nice cafe, nice staff, but an odd course to say the least. Over and out again for a long while. Or always..
5 yards that sounds ok. 80 yards i hope there are not many of those iam sure my cartridges wont go that far.

Am happy to put my hands up and say I don't know anything about course setting etc but I enjoyed the day.

I felt there was a good mix of targets, close & far....High and low. I really don't see what more could be done, it was nice to see folk struggle to hit what was on the face of it a real easy target, which at times made me think and rethink again.

My simplistic out look (and please forgive if am wrong) is if a lot of folk clear it or only drop 1 then maybe targets could have been harder, although when I see GD getting 114/120 then I am surprised as I would expect him to either straight it or only drop 1 maybe 2 max.

Stand 2 target 2 the very close rabbit down the bank Mr Digweed straighted it and I doubt he shot 28 inch barrels with cylinder and 9`s, I bet it was full and extra full or similar so he proves it can be done.

The ability to adapt, weigh up and break what ever the target presented surely is the measure of the shooter?

Now am no big volume clay shooter or what I would call a comp shooter, am keen but 50 practise sporting once a week sometimes with 25 extra of something else thrown in is about as much as I do and was pleased to walk away with 77/120. Am guessing all those who didn't rate the targets all shot over 100 (83%) then ?

Out of interest what did you lot score ?

ATB

Matt

I shot 84, 70% which is 6.4 below my raw average and 7.8 below my adjusted average. I'm not to bothered about what I scored. I just felt the targets weren't up to the billing that's all, just my opinion. I shot the England selection shoot at Barbury on Sunday, and shot a lower score than at the Jack Pyke, but to me the targets were a lot more interesting. It's not all about what you score there is an enjoyment factor that comes into it, well it does for me.

I shot 84, 70% which is 6.4 below my raw average and 7.8 below my adjusted average. I'm not to bothered about what I scored. I just felt the targets weren't up to the billing that's all, just my opinion. I shot the England selection shoot at Barbury on Sunday, and shot a lower score than at the Jack Pyke, but to me the targets were a lot more interesting. It's not all about what you score there is an enjoyment factor that comes into it, well it does for me.
The targets at Barbury were great,some real tough presentations especially the pink one on stand 9! but great fun and really enjoyable  :D

Back