Is it the gun?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get a fully adjustable comb installed quite resonable and can make a sensible difference/correction/adjustment when when you add or loose a few.

Get a fully adjustable comb installed quite resonable and can make a sensible difference/correction/adjustment when when you add or loose a few.

Cheers Doc.  yes, this I think would be the culmination of trials, something semi permanent.  Not too expensive over here either and would hopefully improve the resale value of the gun.

I suppose I could just get an adjustable stock from another 680 action gun...can't remember which ones fit mine now!

I shoot off my left shoulder, but can make a right handed gun shoot straight by rolling my head a little over the comb. That maybe makes the mount feel more secure, and there are some who prefer it and make it work, but I don't think its a panacea so would suggest you see a decent instructor or gun-fitter. To compare the cast-on and cast-off guns you'd need to consider the difference in cast at face, rather than at heel, but that may be what you mean in expecting the difference to be less.

If you love the DT10 so much though, I have a 30" DT10 sporter with a very pretty left-hand (cast-on) trap stock that may be just up your street, and I'd let it go for a pretty decent price ;)  

I shoot off my left shoulder, but can make a right handed gun shoot straight by rolling my head a little over the comb. That maybe makes the mount feel more secure, and there are some who prefer it and make it work, but I don't think its a panacea so would suggest you see a decent instructor or gun-fitter. To compare the cast-on and cast-off guns you'd need to consider the difference in cast at face, rather than at heel, but that may be what you mean in expecting the difference to be less.

If you love the DT10 so much though, I have a 30" DT10 sporter with a very pretty left-hand (cast-on) trap stock that may be just up your street, and I'd let it go for a pretty decent price ;)
Thanks for the offer, but I would want a right hander if I were to get one :)

Not rolling my head, certainly not on the DT10.  I'm going to build the comb up (thicker) and slightly higher and give that a bash.  Just trying to to think of the best way to go.  I might mask the stock up and build one with Isopon car body filler, then double stick that on for a bit.  It's firm like wood, but I can easily mess about with it, till it is right..

Yeah, clearly the overall cast at heel was the main measurement I was taking, and would be less at face.  I had some mild stick masking tape on the top of the stocks so I could make the various measurements, and I did mark where my cheek rested on each stock.  I then checked the drop and found the DT10 to have slightly less, hence why i may raise the comb, as well as thicken in.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may sound too simple but my first course of action would be to get both guns to hand in front a full length mirror. Concentrate on your right eye and mount each gun at that eye without moving your feet around. Do this a few times with each gun and see just where you are actually pointing. The bead should be in the centre of your eye.

If you find that the DT10 is correct at the point of aim and your own gun is not, then you know for sure the stock is not correct for you. At that time I would be talking to a gunsmith or just get rid of the gun. If you are going to change the gun anyway, I would not wish to spend much money  on it and for gods sake don't have the stock bent because they do move over time. It also means that you may find it harder to sell a modified gun to Joe average.

Gun mount is critical as we all know and the mirror exercise does help if done for a few mins every day or at least years ago, when I was a serious competition shooter, I found it so.

Phil

Spot on. Far too much is made of this precision gumph.

People spend £150 on gunfit down to fractions of a millimetre, then when the temperature drops 10 degrees, they put a jumper on and then their gunfit is up the creek by a couple of millimetres. Huzzah!

Just learn what you should be seeing down the rib, then shuffle the mount around till you see it.
or just eat some cake, drink some guinness and put the weight back on!

Latest posts

Back