Is it the gun?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you're getting too tense and shoving your cheek too hard onto the stock. Just relax a little!

Must admit I didn't much like the sound of "solid cheek weld" firm contact but not strained is good, welded is not.

Here's an idea. Instead messing about adding bits to the gun, why not just grow a beard?

Then you could take some scissors with you and make adjustments on the spot. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
@Fuzrat & Paulos : Noo...I know about that, in fact my mate does this, he almost starts shaking sometimes he is trying so hard!  What I mean, is it comes up nice where it should be on my gun, but I know it could go further..erm..in I suppose.  Thinking about it, it might be me canting the gun in where previously it wouldn't go.  I'm mounting the same but there isn't enough face there any more!  With the DT10, it just fits..it's there and it won't go anywhere else.

@Westward:  Sadly, I am not the greatest at growing beards...I'm quite bald all over really...head included! And my cheeks are a really poor place for hair growth as well, fail all round really.  would have been convenient though! :)

Is the DT10 better than a SP1? Yes without doubt it is but there are many things involved in whether you happen to shoot one gun better than the next. Balance, moment of inertia, stability, heft, sight picture comfort, grip shape, trigger pull, movement under recoil, flip, ease of mount, plain shoot ability (is it easy to shoot well), ejection/opening ease, friendly recoil etc etc, and we haven't even touched on the obvious which is fit and whether the barrels shoot to point of aim. 

I've personally never believed the notion that a gun is only as good as the shooter behind it, in other words I firmly believe some guns are better than others regardless of shooter skill level. My own scores took a proper upsurge once I discovered the 682 series and I absolutely believe part of the reason is because of their thick stocks. Thick not only promotes more consistent sight pictures, it also allows the eye to remain centrally along the rib under recoil. Another aid for me has been 2mm-4mm strip of Sorbothane material glued in where your cheek meets the stock; this promotes comfort under recoil and is less cold than plain wood or plastic as is the case with my PFS. It also has a slight drag affect which keeps your cheek from sliding under recoil.

In your case I would say it's too soon to judge things just yet but be prepared to accept that merely transferring the measurements from a good set up to another will not guarantee similar results.

Even a good Injun can't make a cat shaped arrow swing well in a small room. :D

Cheers Hamster.  I certainly need to adjust the fit.  I suspect that some of it was the DT10, was effortless really.  This 692 looks interesting :)

Hamster

QUOTE - be prepared to accept that merely transferring the measurements from a good set up to another will not guarantee similar results. UNQUOTE

Absolutely agree hamster, I found this out trying to set a DT the same as a 682. Shot to a totally different POI

Cheers Hamster.  I certainly need to adjust the fit.  I suspect that some of it was the DT10, was effortless really.  This 692 looks interesting :)
Yes it sure does :)  , this thing about ease of shooting is vastly underrated I think, probably accounts for why so many people initially struggle with the likes of the K80 and the fact that you need to learn how to shoot them well. 

Greeting Dudes and Dudettes,

So...I have a Beretta Silver Pigeon 1, has worked fine for me, made some mods to it, ISIS2 etc.

Recently I have lost a bit of weight and I have started to notice odd misses and shooting up the right side of Teals etc.

It all "looks" OK, when I mount the gun, but it doesn't feel like a solid cheek weld, so I suspect i am coming over and looking down the right side of the rib a touch, when actually shooting.

I tried my mates left handed DT10 (I am a righty).  This comes up solid as anything and for the two stands that I tried it, I straighted 12 for 12 on both.

So naturally I did the only thing I could and assume that the DT10 fits me better.  But, is it just that it fits me better, or is it because it is a "better gun"?

I took the time to take some measurements off the two guns for cast etc.  The DT10 seems to have about 6mm "cast on" and my SP1 has about 4mm "cast off".  I also noted that the DT10 is a touch thicker in the stock, where my cheek goes.

The drop at comb and heel is also slightly less on the DT10.

Ignoring fit for a moment, I also checked the point of balance.  The DT10 balances right on the hinge pin but my gun is about .75 inches back from the hinge pin, towards the stock  So adding weight to the forend would correct this.

So is it more the DT10 being superior or , if I adjust my gun to similar dimensions and balance, would I see an improvement?

Have any of you used Dr Scholl Moleskin to make comb/stock adjustments?

Erm...cheers for reading,hope I have made some sense!

Gaz
Sounds to me that your gun just doesnt fit and you have way to much cast. The left handed jobbie that you tried would not have fitted that well in reality but gave you a better sight picture down the rib because of its opposite cast. I have had guns and know of a friends gun now were the adjustable comb has to be set way over to get the right sight picture. You need someone who knows to have a look at your gun fit.

Before I had an adjustable comb fitted to my gun I used a couple of the 4mm thick kitchen sponge cloths, that are about 150mm square taped to my stock.

I'm planing on getting one of the stick on leather 6mm comb raisers to put on my Silver Pigeon gun, that is just for rough shooting.

If you want a pretty comb raiser; look at the recoil systems website and then give Dave Izzard a call.

need to change the balance point?

Insert some standard chokes instead of the  'lightweight ' Muller's you keep ramming down our throat's
Muller chokes are the best ever so get yourself some and you might be as good as me ;)

Sounds to me that your gun just doesnt fit and you have way to much cast. The left handed jobbie that you tried would not have fitted that well in reality but gave you a better sight picture down the rib because of its opposite cast. I have had guns and know of a friends gun now were the adjustable comb has to be set way over to get the right sight picture. You need someone who knows to have a look at your gun fit.
Might sound like that... ;)

It did fit me and I have a reasonable idea about gun fit.  My gun did fit me very well, made my own pitch adjustments, LOP etc while fitting my ISIS2.  But since this apparent weight loss, which isn't huge...I have noticed that the cheek/eye/rib alignment, is not as solid as it once was.

I could probably do with pro help, I would never refuse it of course.  But, that lefty DT10 does fit me very well, apart from the lack of Palm swell...but my hands aren't massive so that is probably a good thing!

My apologies i did not intend any offence.

Are you sure you aren't just overthinking things? I'm sure it's near enough...

Spot on. Far too much is made of this precision gumph.

People spend £150 on gunfit down to fractions of a millimetre, then when the temperature drops 10 degrees, they put a jumper on and then their gunfit is up the creek by a couple of millimetres. Huzzah!

Just learn what you should be seeing down the rib, then shuffle the mount around till you see it.

My apologies i did not intend any offence.
Dude this is me, I don't take offence to sensible advice mate :)

Thanks for the advice though, I probably do need a pro to look over it...just finding one near me is the issue (that is available!)

Thanks for the advice though, I probably do need a pro to look over it...just finding one near me is the issue (that is available!)
You dont neccasarily need a pro just someone with experience that you can trust to have a look.

Many of us trappies regularily have a look at each others gun fit, there are quite a few people that I would trust to give sound opinion.

You dont neccasarily need a pro just someone with experience that you can trust to have a look.

Many of us trappies regularily have a look at each others gun fit, there are quite a few people that I would trust to give sound opinion.
Gonna be meeting with Sir Ed Solomans in the New Year, so will run it passed him and see what he thinks.

Before all the expense of gunfitting, try wearing a balaclava to build up the face, you may need to wear three or four at the same time to build up 10mm but at least you will be cosy. :) [/quote/

That will be an improvement that everyone will welcome, at the Robin Hood Boxing Day shoot!

Latest posts

Back