ips does getting ready for rabbit

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have shot more rabbits with my Weihrauch HW100K in .22 than my silenced shotguns, .22 rimfire and .17 HMR added together.

I recently swapped it in for an Air Arms 510 FAC which should be good to 60yds. I am overrun with rabbits in the horse paddocks at the moment, so need to get it zeroed in asap.

I intend to zero at 30 yards and then use Chairgun to adjust the scope, then check the zero at 60 yards.

A mate of mine has shot (as at yesterday) 342 rabbits with his Weihrauch HW100 in .177 in the last year. He knows the aim points off by heart and regularly shoots out to 45 yds.

think I will stick to 35 with my 12ft lb job.

everyone I have spoken to seem to consider 12ft lb ample for up to 40yd and no real benefit of fac air. !!!

very tempted, the AA looks a bit long with the mod on, I am thinking it may be easier with a carbine.

Good luck with hold over!
Was jesting, last .50 I shot had Barret stamped on the side, had a touch more ooomph with it

Havent shot an air rifle for a long time, they are somewhat better than I used to have, I think a BSA Meteor was my last plinker...

Most of my rabbiting was done from a toyota hilux stood in the back with an old savage pump....  whilst trying not to fall out.. 

Air Arms are good accurate rifles but a bit long for me. The BSA Ultra and Scorpion have the ability to be tuned with a number of readily available parts to fit them making a very good rifle into a brilliant rifle. Fitting a slightly longer air cylinder and a regulator makes a huge difference to these guns and gives a higher shot count.

Depending on budget, there are other guns with much higher shot count and already regged such as the FX Wildcat.

Very light, 2.6kg, 200+ shots per fill, very accurate and great fun to shoot.

Phil

Air Arms are good accurate rifles but a bit long for me. The BSA Ultra and Scorpion have the ability to be tuned with a number of readily available parts to fit them making a very good rifle into a brilliant rifle. Fitting a slightly longer air cylinder and a regulator makes a huge difference to these guns and gives a higher shot count.

Depending on budget, there are other guns with much higher shot count and already regged such as the FX Wildcat.

Very light, 2.6kg, 200+ shots per fill, very accurate and great fun to shoot.

Phil
I like BSA from a nostalgic point of view, to this day the Airsporter takes some beating aesthetically but they were never as good as the best of the German stuff such as HW or Feinwekbau, when it comes to pre-charged I think there are better ones out there too such as the AirArms and most definitely the HW 100 or 110. I've pretty much done the rounds with them but presently own the above in FAC. 

yep I remember bsa from me yoof, meteor, super meteor, airsporter. I currently have a lightning which I love but the trigger is virtually unusable compared to the AA.

the FX is a bit modern for me. The bsa scorpion / ultramax in cammo are "doing things to me" The AA400 is too long and too heavy for lugging around a wood.

just measured the length of the AA, its 940 with no mod on. The bsa is 880 . So the AA is not "that" long really . Looks cack with the mod on though ?

what to do ???

just measured the length of the AA, its 940 with no mod on. The bsa is 880 . So the AA is not "that" long really . Looks cack with the mod on though ?

what to do ???
I found the AA too long, the Wildcat was too short without a mod but looks better and shoots steadier with one on. 

photo 1 (1).JPG

Nice FAC version Wildcat Hammy, I take it you fitted a Hugget mod and if so is it much quieter fitted. The reason I ask is that I tried both HW and Stumpy mods with almost no real difference on my sub 12 Wildcats but they are so quiet without any mod at this power level.

Phil

Nice FAC version Wildcat Hammy, I take it you fitted a Hugget mod and if so is it much quieter fitted. The reason I ask is that I tried both HW and Stumpy mods with almost no real difference on my sub 12 Wildcats but they are so quiet without any mod at this power level.

Phil
The Hugget definitely makes it quieter and given it makes the gun less jumpy at the muzzle when shooting off the bench and easier to shoot off hand it was a no brainer, they're very expensive but I ran into one second hand which was too good to miss. The gun IS quiet without, certainly quieter than the un-moderated AA510 which really did need one.

I tried 4 mods one after the other including BSA's own on the lawn outside Greenfields gun shop and the HW was the class act but the gun was silly long and even without a silencer was a heavy thing to lump around. This year I spent 3 whole (separate) days at a dairy farm reducing the collard dove, crow and other vermin's numbers using the Wildcat which was easily carried without so much as a sling, very pleased I changed although not ruling out the Impact at some stage in the future but prob keep the Wildcat too. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the Wildcat but when I got the Impact...........................wow, that is a fantastic gun to shoot. I don't normally like tactical looking guns BUT FX just make amazing rifles.

A few people have shot my Widcat and Impact and even though they also didn't like these type of guns to look at, they were blown away after shooting them. The Wildcat looks rather nice in the Walnut and laminated stocks which I may well invest in one of these days.

http://www.fxairguns.com/rifle/the-wildcat/

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil

or even 22rimfire
I turn my back for a few days and now it's IPS does flippin rifles!!!! Just got a new scope for my AR15 actually, 3-12 x 40, with multi colour illumination too! Not tried it yet, but my mate has the same scope and does well with it. So.....now you are thinking about rimfire! Depending on where you intend to use it, plod can give you some hoops to jump through!!! 

don't foresee any problems mate. Its justifiable vermin control on land already passed for a bloke who looks after the fox and the keeper has a few various rifles.

Latest posts

Back