I need to get out more

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEM62

There is no question in this, just rambling through my own thoughts. 

I started shooting just over a couple of years ago.  Visited a DTL range, had a go and enjoyed it.  Through another interest I knew of a group that shot regularly at the A1 shooting ground in Barnet so was introduced to Sporting, which was much more interesting.  However, I always struggled to improve.  In fact I have never particularly improved and can still only hit high teens or maybe low twenties on a 50-bird round.  (Embarrassing when novices can do better!)  I had some coaching when I first started - I did the first two modules of the CPSA course and have had a couple of coaching sessions since.  A recent house move to Basingstoke meant that the trip to the A1 ground was too far so I just had the odd day out the National Clay Shooting Centre at Bisley on their DTL range.

This morning it occurred to me that my guns have not even been out of the cabinet in six months - probably due to a combination of not having any regular shooting buddies and a degree of frustration with my shooting abilities.  I always enjoy going once I have made the effort so more effort is required.  I guess I am at a point where I need to generate a bit of enthusiasm and see whether I can make something of this sport or not.    

I plan to do some research on shoots near me, preferably associated with a club.  My hope is that this will give me something to attend on regular basis and may also mean that shooting is no longer a solo pastime.  

There is no question in this, just rambling through my own thoughts. 

I started shooting just over a couple of years ago.  Visited a DTL range, had a go and enjoyed it.  Through another interest I knew of a group that shot regularly at the A1 shooting ground in Barnet so was introduced to Sporting, which was much more interesting.  However, I always struggled to improve.  In fact I have never particularly improved and can still only hit high teens or maybe low twenties on a 50-bird round.  (Embarrassing when novices can do better!)  I had some coaching when I first started - I did the first two modules of the CPSA course and have had a couple of coaching sessions since.  A recent house move to Basingstoke meant that the trip to the A1 ground was too far so I just had the odd day out the National Clay Shooting Centre at Bisley on their DTL range.

This morning it occurred to me that my guns have not even been out of the cabinet in six months - probably due to a combination of not having any regular shooting buddies and a degree of frustration with my shooting abilities.  I always enjoy going once I have made the effort so more effort is required.  I guess I am at a point where I need to generate a bit of enthusiasm and see whether I can make something of this sport or not.    

I plan to do some research on shoots near me, preferably associated with a club.  My hope is that this will give me something to attend on regular basis and may also mean that shooting is no longer a solo pastime.  
Think you need to join a local club or two  and try and get involved ?

MEM62 you do need to motivate yourself to get out there, so much awaits you.  Do your research but don't hide away in a club because you only hit what you consider to be a few. Get out and about and meet shooters of all abilities, nearly all friendly and helpful.  Tell us where you are going and some of us may well be there.

Sian's words are spot on. Just got to get some traction. If you have a lesson it's critical to practice soon after and embed what you learned. Also, you need to shoot at least twice a month to not forget what you did last time really.

I, of course, have no idea of the situation where you are, but here there are still more people and clubs involved with DTL kinda shooting than sporting.  In my mind DTL is a better training ground for the basics than other games since the presentations are less varied and form/technique can be addressed without having to work around all the different hold point, insertion points, breakfast stops, whatever, related to sporting.

JMO of course as always

I, of course, have no idea of the situation where you are, but here there are still more people and clubs involved with DTL kinda shooting than sporting.  In my mind DTL is a better training ground for the basics than other games since the presentations are less varied and form/technique can be addressed without having to work around all the different hold point, insertion points, breakfast stops, whatever, related to sporting.

JMO of course as always
Nowhere near enough going on in DTL to give you a grounding for sporting. Totally agree DTL skills will help you with 15% of sporting though. 

Chap do try and get out and about, have found this to be the most friendliest of sports so am sure youll bump into like minded souls

I have just started at the age of 46 (shooting sporting clays), had quite a few lessons at AGL Markyate while waiting for my licence to come through (FEO visit was today) so I'm also hoping to meet people as I know literally no one else who shoots.

I have just started at the age of 46 (shooting sporting clays), had quite a few lessons at AGL Markyate while waiting for my licence to come through (FEO visit was today) so I'm also hoping to meet people as I know literally no one else who shoots.
You will! Get to the AGL registered shoots and meet people. Say hi if you see me!

i shoot weekly on my own and meet several people for a chat while doing it, I usually shoot in fyfield Ongar or the a1 shooting ground , both pay and play I can shoot what I want when I want , being retired I shoot on wednesdy or thursdsay mornings  usually ,speak up if you want to join me

dan

Nowhere near enough going on in DTL to give you a grounding for sporting. Totally agree DTL skills will help you with 15% of sporting though. 
I agree completely.  BUT it is a venue where the essential basic skills can be acquired without the distractions that pervade sporting.  It would be the Walk ... Before ... You ... Run approach that would lead to more complex situations.  The process is the same in every game and the fewer things intruding on that learning the better.  Would you teach algebra before you teach addition?

I can sympathise - it's been a long while since I went out and shot (and since I last posted on here). An increase in work commitments, my main midweek shooting buddy changing job and jacking-in shooting, and the arrival of a baby, have all contributed to me not making or finding the time to go shooting. I miss it, to the extent that my wife has noticed and bought me a new gun to motivate me to get out more and shoot. AGL, A1, Sporting Targets, Cambridge Gun Club are all within easy reach for me... I just need to get up and go.

Maybe we should set up a "not-shooting enough" shooters group?

Just go, turn up eye up the punters and ask em if you can join them as you are on your own, i started doing this 2 years ago midweek as i was having a sabbatical and pretty soon you have a network going on, i have tuesday mates, wednesday mates etc etc. 

Back