ips does beating

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thank you SL I once fell into the trap of blowing a hunt there command and could not believe the silly sod could not find it, it turned out to be twenty yards to the left of were I thought it was. Now unless she is obviously miles away I give eze her nose. I do use a turn whistle sometimes just to get her in the right area.

That's just beautiful! I've seen worse dogs under less control being paid to work on large commercial shoots. I guess you are an old hand at this, and this is your latest dog?

I love that little dog too and your posts on her progress. I'm used to Labs, but that one is so fast and busy. Brilliant!!  :smile: (My wife wants one now!!) P.S. A Cocker Spaniel!!!

your very kind john.

this is my first ever dog never had pets when we were kids prob cos dad was raf so we travelled a few times to different bases plus I don't think my mum or dad were into animals. Its been a learning curve the last twelve months that's for sure.

Ps

give her one then you know you want too.

john

I look forward to your "john wick does puppy" posts then :smile:

John

not sure how knowledgeable you are on cockers but in case its of interest to you.

eze is from field trial stock she has 34 FTCH in her five gen pedigree grand daughter of mallowdale x factor (Ian openshaws dog from rytex) which won uk cocker championship 2015.

its fair to say she is wasted on me as she could be fabulous with a decent trainer / handler but she is stuck with me so we will have to muddle along.

oh yeah I forgot about James's pups

john get yourself up to bonnie scotland for a long weekend.... Job done.

oh yeah I forgot about James's pups

john get yourself up to bonnie scotland for a long weekend.... Job done.
Not up on Cocker pedigrees I must admit, but I am aware of Ian Openshaw of course and the Rytex name.

A Cocker from Scotland you say? Now that would be one small dog with a big chip on it's shoulder and a hell of an attitude wouldn't it? Too much for me to contemplate.

(Only joking James, but I have heard about you too and I'm sure your pups are lovely!)  :wink:

Wow ! Ian (ips) I never realised you were such an experienced trainer ! :D

It is so good to have such experience available at the tap of a keyboard :D

But seriously it just goes to show what dedication and application can get done in such a relatively short time. Imagine what Eze will be like with a couple of seasons under her belt.

I suppose you will be doing the scurries at all of the Gamefairs in the off season?

salop

indeed it is my friend and your assistance via email has been invaluable.

scurries you say, prob go to Yorkshire game fair again this year so yes might have a scurry go.

you would not say that after a day with her dinners me old mate. Ha.

dinners

bloody predictive did it again

Day 4

1st drive

Birds are now thin on the ground but eze managed to flush a couple and was very good prob slightly more compliant on this drive than any of the previous shoots recall was good with only a couple of deaf occasions but she stayed close at all times. After the drive I managed to get a few pics of my mate taking delivery to hand of a bird he shot retrieved by his ten yr old "pet" sprocker that he adopted from his son and that has had no training at all, he was made up that I managed to get some pics.

2nd drive

usually on this drive I am sent over the fields blanking in and then down the edge out of harms way but on this occasion steve the keeper / shoot manager or whatever told me to follow him in the landy to park at the top of the wood and join him and his cocker and another bloke with two dogs to beat the wood propper. Quite chuffed at this as he is obviously now happy with my work, he later commented on how good eze is and that she is coming on well, another shooter said she was as good as any dog there so I am proud of her. Anyway off we go eze worked well was once again compliant recal was excellent turns to whistle was good she hunted close and flushed a few birds, a good drive.

3rd drive

steve was insistent that I shoot said I deserved it for my help. I wasn't bothered but felt another refusal would be rude so borrowed my mates Beretta 680 game gun with trap stock and off I go to peg 2 to the right of steve who is shooting this drive also. Tied ezes lead to the peg marker and got myself sorted, a few minutes past and a bird came straight to me steve shouts Ian your bird but I didn't know we had started so wasn't loaded... Oops. Five minutes past and a hen pheasant appears coming directly over my peg safety off gun nicely shouldered both barrells given, I thought I had missed but steve shouts over "you hit it with both barrells" no more birds over my direction. Steve accompanied me to find the bird which had landed in a field at the back of us, we searched and searched but bird was nowhere to be found, how good would it have been if eze got her first retrieve of my first ever pheasant. We got back to were we park and everyone congratulates me for my first bird ever with my first shot ever. From a shooting perspective I am made up as I only shoot Olympic trap and have had 30yrs of going away targets never shot an incoming. Another bloke said he would go have a look with his two labs and after ten minutes came back with my bird (have I just had an eye wipe)

4th drive

Long walk to next wood then off we go. Now it may be coincidence and I may be talking utter bollox but eze on this drive was fabulous recall, stop, turns were 100% she hunted close and seemed altogether more business like, could this be because she had just seen me shoot a bird ????

5th drive

again no errors very compliant hunted close but not a single bird in that wood.

To sum up

A really memorable day, I shot my first pheasant on my first go. Eze was better than she has ever been so something is working. I am very proud of her.

The end

Ian,

With reference to the third drive .

If you had left Eze to her own devices for a little while longer I am sure she would have found your bird.

Answering your question, is this an eye wipe?

Yes it is , by proper dogs !

Sadly I am afraid that Eze as now turned out to be disfunctional , but luckily for you I am free today , so I will be at your place around 12.30 to collect and re-home .

Not You , Not Mrs ips, Not Daughter ips .

I am sure Eze will be very happy in her new home with her Mentor.

Latest posts

Back