Ignoring doctors fee?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 Grab the popcorn and listen to the b------t doing the rounds now, you'd think a election was coming up, remember the life of Brian, 'promised me the known world he did'

Nevertheless, There's an important difference between a statutory requirement to pass a medical for a particular type of work and Chief Police Officers or PCCs making up new rules on little more than a whim. This blame avoidance culture in the police traces back to Dunblane; a hideous crime that wouldn't have happened had the local police acted properly on information received and revoked Hamilton's licences & removed his gun collection.
I think it may go further than that. In the days of Hungerford, if an incident occurred requiring  the issue of firearms, those authorised to carry them would have to make back to a station where firearms were kept. They would then be issues with a standard .38 revolver and 12 rounds of ammo, the holster was optional  !  Those who were qualified as 'snipers' had to make to the Firearms Department (usually the H.Q. building) to collect their personal issue rifle (sights etc. having been previously set up by themselves), before any form of briefing,  prior to making out to the incident. So, you would have as many as they could muster (usually uniformed) Officers with .38 revolvers deployed after some loose form of briefing. It was unfortunate that on the day of Hungerford,  those qualified to carry a firearm and were on duty,  were all at the ranges either practising or re-qualifying and as such,  were not available. Obviously this lead to a change in policy and the Armed Response Vehicles were born. These vehicles carried the weapons in a locked cabinet in the boot of the vehicle and were doubly manned with Officers trained in their use. The Police came in for a lot of criticism at the time, BUT it was the way that ALL Forces operated,  regarding firearms use. Things had to change and they did, NOT always for the better.

Would that be the same Liverpool where one of the councillors was recently pondering if shooters could help clean up the city’s rat problems ?  

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-merseyside-50081316
Yep, the very same. Problem is most of the 'vermin' are carrying knives  !   🤔  Hence educating er...............'Taxi Drivers'  in life saving skills  ???

Hi just renewing my SGC which was £49 ,my doctors surgery charges £60 for renewal or £120 for first application, seems a bit steep to me but what can you do?
I have just applied for mine, also £49. I did the online application for renewal of a "firearm, shotgun or explosives certificate" to Hampshire Constabulary for the first time which, I thought was a great way of doing things, from taking my own photo and uploading it to the application form, referees details, medical questions, Doctor's details etc. online payment and a scanned copy of the existing SGC. All sent at the press of a button, the way it should be these days,  now I am awaiting events. Watch this space.

Last edited by a moderator:
£20 doesn’t seem to be a lot,but in the wider context of things it’s a huge amount. You have already paid the local police authority the fee they stipulate, that should be the end of the matter.  If the police then require a GP to provide a covering letter then they should pay for the letter and the GP’s time ( though this task will be done by an admin assistant and signed by said GP)

Until legislation is passed we should all refuse to pay, that way we will get uniformity of requirements in every police force area.

Just my humble opinion 
Or you could look at it from a different angle. Don't pay don't get renewed then pay to store your guns at an rfd for an unspecified period which I feel sure would cost a good deal more. Lodge them with a friend then only shoot when they do and where they do. It's a very unfair system we have in the UK but it is all we have until the home office makes clear legally binding rules or a labour government bans private ownership of firearms. Sorry but that's how it is. 

Or you could look at it from a different angle. Don't pay don't get renewed then pay to store your guns at an rfd for an unspecified period which I feel sure would cost a good deal more. Lodge them with a friend then only shoot when they do and where they do. It's a very unfair system we have in the UK but it is all we have until the home office makes clear legally binding rules or a labour government bans private ownership of firearms. Sorry but that's how it is. 
A labour government bans private ownership of firearms....... that’s the stuff of nightmares, and I wouldn’t want to contemplate the mearest thought of it

I have just applied for mine, also £49. I did the online application for renewal of a "firearm, shotgun or explosives certificate" to Hampshire Constabulary for the first time which, I thought was a great way of doing things, from taking my own photo and uploading it to the application form, referees details, medical questions, Doctor's details etc. online payment and a scanned copy of the existing SGC. All sent at the press of a button, the way it should be these days,  now I am awaiting events. Watch this space.
Here's an update - regarding my online SGC renewal application. Yesterday I received a couple of queries by email from the Firearms Licensing Administration officer, she had a query about one of the serial numbers and wanted details regarding the capacity and fixings of my steel cabinets. I answered her queries, attaching photos to the email for clarity. By return of email I received the response that my certificate would be sent out by second class post today.

Note: a.) 6 day turnaround b.) no mention of doctor's certificate c.) the use of emails - the way it should be in this day and age d. = Happy customer :cool:

Reactions: ips
Here's an update - regarding my online SGC renewal application. Yesterday I received a couple of queries by email from the Firearms Licensing Administration officer, she had a query about one of the serial numbers and wanted details regarding the capacity and fixings of my steel cabinets. I answered her queries, attaching photos to the email for clarity. By return of email I received the response that my certificate would be sent out by second class post today.

Note: a.) 6 day turnaround b.) no mention of doctor's certificate c.) the use of emails - the way it should be in this day and age d. = Happy customer :cool:
And today, one day later, it landed on the doormat - I'm very pleased with the service, I had imagined delays, problems, extortion, spending £££££s but not a bit of it.

The new certificate is half the size of the older A4 certificates.

There was a letter recommending that I keep fired cartridges from all barrels in all guns (bagged and labelled) so that, in case of theft, the gun may be identified from the firing pin imprints.

I’ve currently got paperwork going through for co-terminus certificates  . The Doctor’s request for payment arrived  (in response to police letter one) last week asking for £60 . Phoned FEO , he said ignore it . The moral of this story is don’t ignore it unless you are advised to . Your FEO is the font of all knowledge on this matter . 

After applying in early November & getting an acknowledgement letter from West Midlands/Staffordshire within a few days telling me I didn't need to take any further action. I'd checked my GP practices website & there list of fees shows £100 for an SGC report, more expense 😔. I left it a couple of weeks and heard nothing from the GP's so had a look at my record online to see that one if the GP's sent a letter dated 20th November stating there were no concerns, I've not had a request for payment up until now. West Mids/Staffs only have the declaration on the front of the application form and don't ask for a separate report.

Steve

From what I see of the lincolnshire firearms dept you take the pre printed letter to your doctor pay the fee then wait to be instructed by the police to complete your online application. Any applications sent before they tell you to will be returned unprocessed. 

From what I see of the lincolnshire firearms dept you take the pre printed letter to your doctor pay the fee then wait to be instructed by the police to complete your online application. Any applications sent before they tell you to will be returned unprocessed. 
That's correct, my dad had the same. Sent his online application in before the doctor responded and they returned it and told him to resubmit after the doctor had sent in the forms. Took the doctors over 4 weeks to do it as well. 

This is really ridiculous, there should be continuity with all Police forces singing from the same book. My FAC renewal and Shotgun application had no mention of a Doctors letter requirement and was back with me within 4 weeks.

I received an invoice from my surgery saying pay £30 or we won't respond to the police request.  Before I had responded, I received renewed SC, FAC and Explosives Cert (for black powder) in the post.

So chose to ignore the surgery invoice.....

I am in rural Surrey by the way.

Latest posts

Back