Ignoring doctors fee?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
End of the day all this faff is just bullying law abiding people to create the illusion that they are doing something about gun crime, same as speed bumps only slow down drivers who’ve  paid for their cars, etc etc

Well my SGC arrived today so about 2.5 months. 

Suffolk constabulary told me they aim for 12 weeks but their website actually says 35 days, I did point out that if they amended the website less people would ring up thinking their certificate was overdue but..

Well my SGC arrived today so about 2.5 months. 

Suffolk constabulary told me they aim for 12 weeks but their website actually says 35 days, I did point out that if they amended the website less people would ring up thinking their certificate was overdue but..
Cool, exciting times await 👍

Thanks although I have to say my interest must’ve waned somewhat because I’m not feeling the urge to rush out to buy a gun like I was. 
Probably a wise thing my friend. 👍

Out of interest (and to ignite your enthusiasm 😁) what you fancy ?

Probably a wise thing my friend. 👍

Out of interest (and to ignite your enthusiasm 😁) what you fancy ?
Cheers. Well I like Berettas so after hundreds of hours on here (and a few in gun shops) I had a 692 black edition lined up but eventually I bottled the price so I’ve taken a step back to a 690 black edition.

Reactions: ips
Not quite sure how it works in the US now Charlie BUT back in the day could you imagine a situation where someone was denied the right to own any sort of firearm? Eh how the love am I going to feed the family and protect livestock my house and family... dare say it is still the same today in parts of the US... especially downtown LA 😅

I have to have the back of my shooting license signed and stamped by my GP every year or I cannot shoot the cost is not high though at €25.  However this is a GP giving an opinion about someone they do not really know who could be hiding mental health issues. I had a real laugh when I visited the first time the doc says you are not a nutter are you ? I said no... good he said I had to visit a house where the gun owner had topped himself with his shotgun.. what a F'n mess don't want to have to go through that again... sign, stamp have a nice day😄
So here in the US there is a requirement (federal statute) for all handgun sales to be conducted thru a person holding a Federal Firearms License.  that person assumes the legal responsibility for verifying the identity of each party and that neither are on some list of restricted persons.  The lists are compiled by law enforcement agencies and supposedly courts into a presumably US wide accessible list.  I'm not sure what all criteria are utilized to make list eligibility.  Some states, like California, also require further checks in-state and include long guns in the FFL requirement.  I believe that inter-state handgun sales require an FFL on both ends but I don't do that so I'm not sure.  I have avoided handgun purchases for some time now.  Long gun sales in most states require no FFL involvement but no firearm can be shipped except to an FFL - tho there are some exceptions.  State and local ordinances cannot set aside Federal reg's but they can augment them, as California has done, so long as no current Federal court ruling is not violated - sales cannot be banned sort of thing.  California has some complicated handgun sales reg's that I don't know the details of but like I said it's not a problem for me.  Sooooooooooo, purchases and ownership can be researched as far back as the records go and who knows how long that is, but unless a person comes to the attention of law enforcement or the courts ain't nobody checking on who has what.  so they say hahaha

Local LEO's do NOT get to make up their own rules

and just for the record - downtown LA is not actually a place to worry.  There are places in LA and SF (Oakland just across the bay too) not to mention NY, Chicago, Detroit where protection would require far more than a simple firearm hahaha

Spoke to TVP firearms today, after applying for SGC renewal 3 months ago. I thought I had better make some enquiries on its progress, as I had a letter from the GP asking for a fee, back on 1st May, and needed to know if the non payment would cause further delay. 

The response was, that they had, had no reply from the GP within 21 days, so the application is now processing and just needs to go through the internal checks, before being printed and sent out.

So it looks like TVP have not jumped on the, no doctors letter = no certificate bandwagon yet. Good to know they are following HO guidelines, even though the local doctors seem to be  playing the chancers game.

Spoke to TVP firearms today, after applying for SGC renewal 3 months ago. I thought I had better make some enquiries on its progress, as I had a letter from the GP asking for a fee, back on 1st May, and needed to know if the non payment would cause further delay. 

The response was, that they had, had no reply from the GP within 21 days, so the application is now processing and just needs to go through the internal checks, before being printed and sent out.

So it looks like TVP have not jumped on the, no doctors letter = no certificate bandwagon yet. Good to know they are following HO guidelines, even though the local doctors seem to be  playing the chancers game.
That’s great news well done! I wonder if the difference is that yours was a renewal and mine a new application? When my renewal comes up I might test this with Suffolk. 

That’s great news well done! I wonder if the difference is that yours was a renewal and mine a new application? When my renewal comes up I might test this with Suffolk. 
Be aware though that I am renewing a year early, so had the leeway to hold out for a while to see what happened.

Like a said, money making scam by GP.

On my last renewal about 3yrs ago feo told me to ring him if GP tried to charge me, as it happens my GP did not.

My FAO told me not to pay any GP fee's and that it was illegal for them to charge. I wasn't asked anything in regards to my SGC by my GP - although I guess they wouldn't speak to me about it...

Oh dear. It seems that TVP have finally succumbed to the doctors letter.

Just been reading the Oxford mail online, and it seems that as from the 1st August there will be a form to down load and take to the doctor to fill in, for grant or renewal of certificate.

Looks like the early option to renew was a good one.

As I’ve said before the whole thing is just archaic bull****. There’s no reason why there can’t be a little plastic FAC card that covers all guns which has our category entitlements including shotguns on the back like a car license and every gun has a V5 like a car. The whole thing being run by a central HQ. Model the whole thing on the DVLA. Doctors’ reports can be done electronically and Incorporated in the initial application.  

Hi just renewing my SGC which was £49 ,my doctors surgery charges £60 for renewal or £120 for first application, seems a bit steep to me but what can you do?

I coughed up £75 last year for the Dr letter - challenging it seemed risky, being perceived as a grumpy blighter in possession of a shotgun didn't seem like it would help my cause.

As before, tell them it's the police requesting it, not yourself.
 This is from Thames Valley Police, I don't think there is any way round it

Thames Valley Police introduced a pre application medical screening on 01 August 2019. Your application is being returned as it was received on or after 01 August without the required GP pro forma. It is your responsibility to obtain your medical information from your GP, however, in order to assist you in this process we have included, with this letter, the required GP pro forma – signed and stamped by your GP. If your application is received again without this supporting documentation your application may be refused. Please use the facility in the acknowledgement email that you receive from us, after reapplying online, to attach the GP form and send it back to us as one package.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back