Ignoring doctors fee?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lincolnshire you have to take a preprinted form to your GP to ask them to complete and send in. So therefore it is the applicant who is requesting the information and they pay. This situation should have been nipped in the bud a few years ago but basc and the other organisations were more interested in spending our money on new offices and company cars so they could get to their pat ourselves on the back dinners. 

Is the letter to the Doctor due to the person saying they have a medical condition when they renewed/applied for their licence.

My Firearms renewal and shotgun application came through in July 2019 and there was never any mention of a Doctors letter

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the letter to the Doctor due to the person saying they have a medical condition when they renewed/applied for their licence.

My Firearms renewal and shotgun application came through in July 2019 and there was never any mention of a Doctors letter
This is now part of the application forms for TVP.

https://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/SysSiteAssets/media/downloads/central/services/apply/firearms/thames-valley-and-hampshire/tvp_lmc-joint-firearms-proforma-v9.pdf

Looks like a lot of rules made and agreed too.How come they can now make their own rules as to obtaining a Firearm/shotgun certificate and not follow HO guidlines.

I suppose it's in the wording 'guidelines'

This is from Thames Valley Police, I don't think there is any way round it

Thames Valley Police introduced a pre application medical screening on 01 August 2019. Your application is being returned as it was received on or after 01 August without the required GP pro forma. It is your responsibility to obtain your medical information from your GP, however, in order to assist you in this process we have included, with this letter, the required GP pro forma – signed and stamped by your GP. If your application is received again without this supporting documentation your application may be refused. Please use the facility in the acknowledgement email that you receive from us, after reapplying online, to attach the GP form and send it back to us as one package.
Apologies, only just over the border from tvp but Hampshire didn't do any of that nonsense. 😕

Apologies, only just over the border from tvp but Hampshire didn't do any of that nonsense. 😕
No worries,, I suppose its a good thing and cost over 5 years is nothing really, its just a bit more hassle to get it done.

cheers Gary

Looks like a lot of rules made and agreed too.How come they can now make their own rules as to obtaining a Firearm/shotgun certificate and not follow HO guidlines.

I suppose it's in the wording 'guidelines'
It comes down to risk assessment from the chief constable. If the chief constable assess the risk and believes that a medical is required to insure the safety of the certificate holder and the public they can pretty much do as they like as they ultimately carry the can. 

But are they trying to pass the buck so to speak. I know it says the Police have the final say, but if something did happen I'm sure they would be quick to point out His/Her Doctor had signed to say they were 'fit' to possess

In this day and age it's a blame culture

But are they trying to pass the buck so to speak. I know it says the Police have the final say, but if something did happen I'm sure they would be quick to point out His/Her Doctor had signed to say they were 'fit' to possess

In this day and age it's a blame culture
I don't think it's so much about passing the book, more to do with answering the question of did they do everything reasonably practicable to prevent an accident, suicide or adverse event. If a health check would have highlighted a physical or mental health issue that had an impact on an event then its hard not to say it should have been done.

I don't think it's so much about passing the book, more to do with answering the question of did they do everything reasonably practicable to prevent an accident, suicide or adverse event. If a health check would have highlighted a physical or mental health issue that had an impact on an event then its hard not to say it should have been done.
But where does it stop? Do you have to get a medical report to own a car, or a knife? 
there are far more accidents suicides and murders with these than with legally owned guns - No questions asked when I bought a new kitchen knife last month. 

But its like a vechicle mot, only good on the day it was done, after that anything could happen.

Yes its a good idea and I agree to have it flaged on your medical record, so the doctor knows if you go to them with problems which may raise concerns about having firearms/shotguns

But where does it stop? Do you have to get a medical report to own a car, or a knife? 
there are far more accidents suicides and murders with these than with legally owned guns - No questions asked when I bought a new kitchen knife last month. 
No medical for car drivers, but if you want a HGV or PCV licence you will need a medical...Just saying!

I have to have a medical every 2 years to drive a digger on construction sites because I'm deemed a safety critical operative. You need medicals for more stuff than your realise work and hobby wise when you start to look into it.

Really you should have a medical at a gp every 5 years to cover you for anything it's needed for, be it driving cars, diggers, lorrys, buses, taxis or hobbies like shooting, scuba diving flying etc etc. Should have 1 medical to cover the lot. 

I have to have a medical every 2 years to drive a digger on construction sites because I'm deemed a safety critical operative. You need medicals for more stuff than your realise work and hobby wise when you start to look into it.

Really you should have a medical at a gp every 5 years to cover you for anything it's needed for, be it driving cars, diggers, lorrys, buses, taxis or hobbies like shooting, scuba diving flying etc etc. Should have 1 medical to cover the lot. 
I don’t need a medical for any of my work or hobby activities, it doesn’t prove anything anyway other than on the day the GP says your OK , that could change the next day who knows what could tip someone over the edge. It’s just a way of the establishment trying to impose restrictions on gun owners, I doubt that there’s any evidence to prove that the reports from GP’s has made any difference to the safety of the general public 

There are medicals for car drivers if you have certain health problems
Yup, mines on annual renewal.

I lost my HGV(& PSV) which is why I'm now retired.

There are days when I'm not fit to drive (car) but I believe that's common sense so I dont. In the same way if I'm not fit enough to shoot I don't. Fishing too or even walking the dogs.

Fortunately my FAO also believes in common sense and said something along the lines of "as long as you are safe and know when you're unfit we'll be happy."

My driving licence is on annual renewal and at DVLAs expense I have a medical review when they say so.

SGC, like anyone else is liable to be revoked or suspended at any time for medical or other reasons.

The main thing is to keep your FAO in the loop. If something gets flagged up, they can say, yes we are aware of that and have spoken to him/her about it and are happy for them to hold a SGC. I firmly believe communication is key, and a phone call or face to face is far better than an email or tick box form.

I'm aware only too well that not everyone has common sense but am fortunate that my FAO, Doctors and I like to think me too, have it.

My Doctor has a  range of fees for medicals, decreasing each medical until it hits a base figure plus inflation for when I used to pay. Now he rings me up and asks me any relevant questions as I have a three monthly review at the surgery anyway.

Nevertheless, There's an important difference between a statutory requirement to pass a medical for a particular type of work and Chief Police Officers or PCCs making up new rules on little more than a whim. This blame avoidance culture in the police traces back to Dunblane; a hideous crime that wouldn't have happened had the local police acted properly on information received and revoked Hamilton's licences & removed his gun collection.

Liverpool, where a Doctors letter is a requirement for application or renewal of a gun licence, where the Mayor and City Council have blocked the proposed plans to have the 'shooting show' held in the City,  have now come up with a real gem.  They are supplying Taxis with first aid kits and the drivers will be educated in there use to enable them to treat......................wait for it..........STABBING VICTIMS.  Every one a winner  ?

Latest posts

Back