how to master the teal challing

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest guys, who really cares exactly how far away it is in yards or metres? its just a freakin long way. Yes, of course its a money maker aren't all pool shoots? I remember when I was a kid the pool shoot was 1 cage and 1 maybe 2 traps. Put your £1 in, 50p to the ground 50p in the pot. First person to shoot straight takes the pot then it builds again. Pool shoots have become much more fun with the likes of Ian at Wylye, Steve at the 3 W's trilogy and others no doubt, putting on a "mini sportrap" layout. This is just another way of giving the punters something new. The Americans are really into their "side games" and hats off to Adam for giving us something a bit different. Granted there is an element of luck involved, there are likely to be some big clay sized holes in your pattern out at those ranges so you may be on it but it sails through a hole, it also takes skill to put the pattern there at that range.  Its not often, unless you are a ground owner or staff, that you can keep moving farther back and shoot some really long stuff so get up there pay ya dosh and have a giggle, after all, we do this shooting lark for fun, dont we?/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

calm down folks,shoots need to make money or we have no shoots this is a bit of fun it doesnt matter what the exact distance is if i can get any where near to ed or garry etc ill be very happy and as for winning money at shooting the best should win it because they are the best in most other sports you cant even speak to the top stars let alone compete agaianst them.

We intend to have another go on Thursday with the trap in the same place but with some big loads and lots of choke. Will report in due course. I'd like one of those traps that throws clays 80yards up in the air though. Must be a sight to see. Thats 240 feet! Could be a hazard to aircraft.

After submitting ourselves to half an hour of shooting holes in the sky I can state without doubt that 100 metre teals are nearly impossible to hit, regardless of choke/cartridge combinations. I think 80 yards is a reasonable distance for success 50/60% of the time but beyond that its fairly random. End of. We have moved the trap and we have also moved on and away from shooting black aspirins. Next project? How about 75 metre + rabbits?

wylye said:

After submitting ourselves to half an hour of shooting holes in the sky I can state without doubt that 100 metre teals are nearly impossible to hit, regardless of choke/cartridge combinations. I think 80 yards is a reasonable distance for success 50/60% of the time but beyond that its fairly random. End of. We have moved the trap and we have also moved on and away from shooting black aspirins. Next project? How about 75 metre + rabbits?
  They're not doable consistently, that's for sure. Once you get to the sort of ranges where the patterns are full of huge holes AND single strikes lack decent kinetic energy to ensure breaks, then it's all about fun and games and entertainment. 

well there's a challenge ian,if you can't beat them join them,start one off at 80 yards or 100,and let it run for a few months,winner takes all.be a bit of fun,run along side the pool shoot

Nah, mini, driven off the high bank /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

tommo said:

ian anyway you can set this teal up on sunday ?
Can't Tommo sorry, haven't got the room. I will run it over the Christmas/New Year holiday though. Might provide a bit of fun. Lets say if anyone can hit more than 5 out of 10 at 100 metres ( range finder measured) I'll donate £100 to the NSPCC and give whoever wins another £100. The cost to enter will be £10. Hows that then?

Fuzrat said:

Nah, mini, driven off the high bank /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif
Already done that one./wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

wylye said:

tommo said:
ian anyway you can set this teal up on sunday ?
Can't Tommo sorry, haven't got the room. I will run it over the Christmas/New Year holiday though. Might provide a bit of fun. Lets say if anyone can hit more than 5 out of 10 at 100 metres ( range finder measured) I'll donate £100 to the NSPCC and give whoever wins another £100. The cost to enter will be £10. Hows that then?
Probabley won't get to many takers (or at least re-entrys) at £10 for 10 clays imo, i'd probabley have 1 go at that, but not anymore

You are just being mean. It is Christmas you know, season of good will with charitable thoughts and deeds. Its a couple of gallons of fuel by the way if you want to put it in perspective - you might win a hundred quid and the NSPCC will get another hundred whether you enter or not. Three cheers for Tiny Tim!!

wylye said:

You are just being mean. It is Christmas you know, season of good will with charitable thoughts and deeds. Its a couple of gallons of fuel by the way if you want to put it in perspective - you might win a hundred quid and the NSPCC will get another hundred whether you enter or not. Three cheers for Tiny Tim!!
Yeah tell me about it Ian, getting charity donations this time of year is like getting blood out of a stone./wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif

Well with all the sh*t with no money around at the moment what did you expect?Some do have a serious amount to buy the next months to have a reasonable family Xmas.Charity starts at home my friend! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

Caterham sometimes put on a distant rabbit. I reckon once it was 60 yards. They have a particularly good hard flat surface to run it along, so it usually didn't bounce. About 5 feet of lead (as I saw it) broke it fine. CSC3

I quite like the straight g/a rabbit that Ian had at Wylye last time I shot there... I couldn't hit the little devil more than once... but it made me think.

GlenPresley said:

Well with all the sh*t with no money around at the moment what did you expect?Some do have a serious amount to buy the next months to have a reasonable family Xmas.Charity starts at home my friend! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif
I could have made another donation after having bet someone would say that! I could almost have been certain it would be you.

Back