How much rib do you see

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not quite sure I understand this thread! Surely if ur seeing more rib of the gun the barrels are pointing higher than where u looking!  Like a trap gun! So how would it cause a miss underneath target? Not picking fault in anyone's theory just getting confused!?!?
Because in extreme cases, a very high rib cannot be placed "on" the clay, so all shooting is done by spatial awareness. You sense where it's pointing, without aiming. Missing underneath is merely a product of sensing wrongly where the barrels are pointing. There is not an actual reason for going underneath, merely that is has all become a bit vague and you may as well be shooting from the hip. ?

Cheers guys! Noodle well and truely baked now?!?! I can admit that I have shot skeet seeing more rib with my trap gun with 1/2 3/4 chokes and managed best ever score 21! Maybe I will give it ago with my sporting now!!! 

When I first started shooting I was totally obsessed with how much rib I was/wasn't seeing and became convinced that unless it was flat with no rib visible I would shoot over the top of everything.

However as I've got into it more and thought about it less, I've gradually seen more rib (when I do look) and I've certainly not started to float the targets or miss over the top...

I think in in my case it took a leap of faith to ditch the geometry and have a bit of trust. 

Similar Iggy. I started with the "must make sense" very flat, then added height and added success. There is a happy balance between what seems to aim correctly and what you gain by a bit more vision.

I think the simple answer is to see what works for you by means of a pattern plate 

experimenting on different targets etc 

then seeing if your crunching targets and your scores are improving 

then if this is the case just getting all the nonsense and negatives out of your head and

get out and shoot 

I have gone through a similar experience over the last four or five months with my parcours

i was convinced in my head it was shooting high but my scores were good so it didn't add up

quite a bit of pattern plate work showing 70 /30  or 60 /30 still had me uneasy as I like to print

50 /50 but left it as it was kept on shooting it scores were still good head still a bit jumbled asked

opinions of two well respected gun fitters with 30 years experience in the trade and said could do 

with going up a bit more head now well and truly scrambled 

lifted 3mm with insulation tape to try shot one round at straw baler joint high gun with that card 

but missed three teal and was totally lost on it picture had me in no mans land shot 7 on pool shoot 

took off tape won shoot with 48 ex 50 straighted pool with ten straight 

an ex England 17 times international stood behind me that set the shoot said gun fits ok then pete

last six hundred birders all 90 + fitasc or sporting so morale of this story experiment get it right get 

your head clear and just shoot 

hope this helps         Regards pete 

The guns I regularly shoot have a variety of rib heights from flat to near an inch.  They all shoot to the same place tho because the at the muzzle they are all the same height.  And the only exception is the inch high thing that takes raising the comb the same amount.  Rib height and shape is meaningless as long as you can see past it and the gun shoots to where you want it.

Not JMO - a simple fact

Charlie

If you want to see a bit of rib but your worried about the gun shooting high. Just take off the front bead stick on a 3mm high strip of black plastic the same width as the rib and refit the bead to that. 

That looks lovely! You Americans are so lucky getting all these products that we never see in the UK. You could even stick some advertising on the side of it. A Perazzi sticker would look great here? (Although I feel it may appeal more to Krieghoff owners?)

I guess the one on the left with 2 beads is for people with a changeable master eye? What an innovation. :wink:

As Larry Potterfield says "That's the way it is!"   :D

the double bead obviously provides a built in lead for the angle targets - just line up diff beads and change leads

Ahem!

The green dots are the rear sight!

No accounting for taste.

Have a look at King George's, Club Digweed episode one on Youtube  . Eyecam shows lots of rib and bead . But don't believe everything George tells you.

I see a similar amount of rib to Hamid.  Interestingly, seeing Ed Solomons earlier this week he immediately pointed this out and thought I might have a tendency to miss over the top as a result.  Turns out I don't, I've learnt to shoot seeing that much rib and therefore automatically compensate for it.  When I was missing it was for a myriad of other reasons (mostly relating to inconsistent hold points, rushing to take targets too quickly and using the wrong technique for that particular target).

Last edited by a moderator:
Not quite sure I understand this thread! Surely if ur seeing more rib of the gun the barrels are pointing higher than where u looking!  Like a trap gun! So how would it cause a miss underneath target? Not picking fault in anyone's theory just getting confused!?!?
No, not at all. The position of your eye has no bearing upon your point of impact.

Latest posts

Back