How many Carts do you keep.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheers  :wink:

Now i have heard powder/propellant mentioned is it actually relevant to that or the amount or the amount of explosive in the primer?
the law is X amount of explosive which includes that of the primer. Cant remember how many kg but I know it equates to approx 10k 12 bore cartridges and that is the accepted amount by the HSE for home storage without a licence. I know this as fact because my brother in law is a HSE explosive inspector and I have discussed it with him and read the regs. Before anyone asks (again) yes people have been convicted for storing more than this but I don't know the details of the cases.

as an aside the HSE have more rights of entry than the police.

the law is X amount of explosive which includes that of the primer. Cant remember how many kg but I know it equates to approx 10k 12 bore cartridges and that is the accepted amount by the HSE for home storage without a licence. I know this as fact because my brother in law is a HSE explosive inspector and I have discussed it with him and read the regs. Before anyone asks (again) yes people have been convicted for storing more than this but I don't know the details of the cases.

as an aside the HSE have more rights of entry than the police.
So although the propellant is not to my understanding an explosive it is counted as such?

Also out of interest how much lead styphnate is in each primer?

primer is definitely included.

no idea about last bit ?

Where about' s in this world do you live in,with these draconian rules.
Ireland . Yup its pretty bad alright.

Also to make it worse any used cartridges in your possession count towards your limit 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ireland . Yup its pretty bad alright.

Also to make it worse any used cartridges in your possession count towards your limit 
Crazy i probably have 750 loose ones chucked in a box from when i finished shooting,sort them out once a year or so!

i would be having to go to the Gunshop every other week!

Crazy i probably have 750 loose ones chucked in a box from when i finished shooting,sort them out once a year or so!

i would be having to go to the Gunshop every other week!
Ya its ridiculous . Most cops dont even know the laws around it themselves and a few have even said . Not to worry about it and work away . But thats all well and good to say until you mee a cop that wants to follow the law to the letter and then you end up loseing your licence .

It used to be worse my limit was 300 and after i sent in a letter to ask to have it upped to 2000 they upped it to 350 .haha i was going every week sometimes twice a week for ammo 

The police here have no appreciation for how much u can use clay shooting and most havent a clue about firearms in general.

After months of pleading. Dozens of phone calls they eventually upped it to 750 .

Now i end up going to buy ammo every 2 weeks or so . 

The guy that runs my local clay pigeon  club is only allowed to store 5000 and thats a business 

Ya its ridiculous. After months of pleading. Dozens of phone calls they eventually upped it to 750
It is crazy - yet when we visited last year to shoot in a competition we took more than that in the car with us. The ferry company were happy for us to transport 1000 on the trip. We declared to the PSNI how many we were bringing and why.

It was a hassle as they could not grasp why we needed 20g, 28g and .410 when the gun was 12g - took quite a bit of explaining / photo's and descriptions about tube sets and NSSA skeet but they eventually approved it all. 

I have flown 250 on flights before now (250 x .410 happen to weigh 5kg which is most airlines limit) + numerous empty hulls. 

As for what i do here...

I buy once a year mostly - group bulk buy with friends - normally i am right up on the limit. Circa 8500-9000 at the beginning of the year which i run down to practically nothing by October time - then re-order in the spring for the next year.

This year i did some small top ups over winter as shot a bit of sporting which i would not normally do. 

It is crazy - yet when we visited last year to shoot in a competition we took more than that in the car with us. The ferry company were happy for us to transport 1000 on the trip. We declared to the PSNI how many we were bringing and why.

It was a hassle as they could not grasp why we needed 20g, 28g and .410 when the gun was 12g - took quite a bit of explaining / photo's and descriptions about tube sets and NSSA skeet but they eventually approved it all. 

I have flown 250 on flights before now (250 x .410 happen to weigh 5kg which is most airlines limit) + numerous empty hulls. 

As for what i do here...

I buy once a year mostly - group bulk buy with friends - normally i am right up on the limit. Circa 8500-9000 at the beginning of the year which i run down to practically nothing by October time - then re-order in the spring for the next year.

This year i did some small top ups over winter as shot a bit of sporting which i would not normally do. 
Im in the republic of ireland . You mention PSNI so i assume you were in nortgern ireland .Different laws . Northern ireland would have similar laws to england id imagine 

I usually buy about 2 or 3K at a time that way they are delivered for free. Well we all know nothing comes free but If I only get 1500 I have to pay for the delivery and the price of the cartridges is the same so it make sense to save the delivery charge.  Seems odd even if I buy 2k or 50k they are delivered free and if I were to I buy the 20k I save €16 per thousand  too. Still not as good as Kevin's deal though!

Im in the republic of ireland . You mention PSNI so i assume you were in nortgern ireland .Different laws . Northern ireland would have similar laws to england id imagine 
No NI are way more strict than we are they cannot keep anywhere near the numbers we can - up until last year (around June) you even needed a special temporary licence from the PSNI and you had to state the same info you would for a ATF if you were travelling to NI - in fact i think it was more hassle to go to NI than USA.

Ya its ridiculous . Most cops dont even know the laws around it themselves and a few have even said . Not to worry about it and work away . But thats all well and good to say until you mee a cop that wants to follow the law to the letter and then you end up loseing your licence .

It used to be worse my limit was 300 and after i sent in a letter to ask to have it upped to 2000 they upped it to 350 .haha i was going every week sometimes twice a week for ammo 

The police here have no appreciation for how much u can use clay shooting and most havent a clue about firearms in general.

After months of pleading. Dozens of phone calls they eventually upped it to 750 .

Now i end up going to buy ammo every 2 weeks or so . 

The guy that runs my local clay pigeon  club is only allowed to store 5000 and thats a business 

Of course, if you have a couple of shotguns, you can apply for 750 or 1000 on each of them, and keep the total number granted.

The 100 round default originated from the likely number a rough shooter would need in a season, I was told.

The old five pound "vermin" licences beloved of farmers had a 25 round limit!

Dont think it works that way . I could be wrong but i was told before by the cops that if the guns are the same calibre that they dont stack.

Ie owning

12g beretta allowing 750 rounds

+

12g browning allowing 500 rounds 

12g miroku allowing 1000 rounds 

Still the max u can keep is 1000 rounds because on the licence ot says your are permitted to keep a maximum of 1000 rounds in your possession it doesnt specify the gun.

Or so im told :-/

Haha ya i actually know a few guys that have a limit of 25 . All farmers that just want the guns for vermin so it doesnt bother them but i was told by my local dealer that a guy comes in to him that has a limit of 10 on his licence . 10 ffs . He obviously can not abide by this . 

Hi Davy,

Where on the licence does it state that there is a 1000 round limit?

No sign of it on either the Grant letter or the Licence that I have. Just indicates the amount you can have for that particular gun.

Is it stated in the panel "Additional Conditions"? Because that's blank on all my shotgun licenses.

I think you can stack the numbers, but I'll have to clarify that with someone.

I am going by these guys...   http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61504527

Hi Davy,

Where on the licence does it state that there is a 1000 round limit?

No sign of it on either the Grant letter or the Licence that I have. Just indicates the amount you can have for that particular gun.

Is it stated in the panel "Additional Conditions"? Because that's blank on all my shotgun licenses.

I think you can stack the numbers, but I'll have to clarify that with someone.

I am going by these guys...   http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61504527
sorry for delay i missed your post 

no 1000 was the example from the 3 guns i listed above . here is a pic of the back of my licence it states im am allowed in my possession 750 rounds . like i said i could be wrong about them stacking up with different guns . but thats what i was told by the cops at the time . if they are all the same caliber they highest limit is what you were allowed keep 

rsz_1rsz_licence.jpg

Latest posts

Back