Hodnet Challenge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxum

So with xmas approaching fast has anyone booked in for the shoot at Hodnet that used to be the Victory Challenge.Sadly i wont be attending as i am going beating on the same day but look forward to any reports of how good or bad the shoot was.So Happy Xmas everyone and have a fantastic shooting December /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif

Presumably it's the same as this thread http://shootclay.co.uk/forum/s.....challenge/ So sadly, unable to make it as working

Yes I'm booked in, looking forward to it as Hodnet is one of my favourite grounds, only sad that it's about two and a half hours drive.

optima said:

what date is it? supposed to have gone last year,payed for it but we were snowed in! That's the problem with advance booking at this time of year Optima, there is always the distinct possibility that either you or the ground will be severely weather affected. I have been to this shoot for the past 3 or 4 years but have never booked on, some years I have just turned up, others I rang the day before to check availability.  So I'll do the same this year and wait to see what the weather is going to throw at us. Don't know why I'm bothering though, going through a really bad patch at the moment, my ambition was to make AA class, missed that by less than 1 percentage point this time and I'll be struggling to avoid B class in 6 months time/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cry.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cry.gif Mr Potter

Yeah - I was thinking about booking for this when someone first mentioned it on here... but, long distance in that gap between Christmas and New Year is high risk given potential weather disasters.AND - they wanted a cheque - i haven't used a cheque book for years.

Anyone going tomorrow Weather looks a bit wet. Can't make it myself as I have a poorly 13 yr old springer at the moment who needs me more than I need to shoot so she wins. Good luck to anyone that goes. I'm sure you will have a great shoot. Dont forget to post a report on the shoot.

I'm going although expectations are low - as I've posted elsewhere I'll be aiming for a 40% scorecard - although I'll enjoy it! It means I'm up at 6 tomorrow to be there (LOOOONG drive) so let's hope it's enjoyable. Wax jacket's in the car ready for rain and might even fight my waterproof trousers out tonight!Hope the springers looking better soon!

Went to Hodnet today and it was well worth the 2 1/2 hours drive. For those who have not been to the West Midlands Shooting Ground it is set in some fantastic wooded scenery on and around what seems like a small mountain to me, coming from flat Lincolnshire.There is a purpose built scandanavian type wooden club house where excellent clay shooters grub is served by attractive young ladies (can't be bad).The shoot today was one of the best sporting rounds I've been to this year. Full use was made of the landscape with hardly a trap visible. There was just about every type of target including a high driven pair which you don't see often these days. Unfortunately this was one of the stands which caught me out. I'm still scratching my head, as I'm normall pretty good at driven.Also came unstuck on the pair below our feet at the quarry. This was a simultanious pair, one bird rising from below your feet and another also rising from below but quartering from right to left across the path of the first bird.I was pleased to straight the sim overhead birds, especially as the second bird was really travelling and also dropping like a stone.Also shot stand 13 well, also sim , a fast dropping curler from the left and a higher quartering bird from the right.All in all a teriffic shoot and I was pleased to shoot a 79 but like always with most of us there were ones which should not have got away.

Nice shooting Chester - I hear so many good things about Hodnet, and this short review has confirmed it - I'm heading up at the first opportunity to shoot and review the place.

Well... I exceeded expectations and shot 65 at Hodnet!Amazed - concentrated on pick up points, kill points, paths, tried to ignore the crowds and had some confidence in myself. Didn't shoot less than 50% on any stand which for me is truly incredible.Am wondering though if it was a "soft" layout, is there anywhere to view scores online? Was VERY wet at finish so didn't hang about too long.Positives - good club house, good stands which made you think about them rather than just being 150 yards away and everyone was respectful of queues and was patient (Seen some poor form over Xmas period!)Negatives - Nearly getting stuck in the gate in the carpark due to mud, club house running out of food when we'd finished shooting, couple of breakdowns lead to long waits and (thought not relevent to me) it seemed a wave of people had completed one stand and it hadn't been marked on there card!?!Notable Stands:My favourite was #14, 2 going away orange clays. One was going straight out under little power. The other from the left went up and off to the right crossing over the top of the other clay. (Simo pair). Probably at about a 15 degree angle? I walked up to the stand still not having decided which to shoot first just knowing I had to "DTL it" (my wording for see a clay and pull the trigger NOT thinking about it). Lined up for it and the bird going over the top caught my eye so I went for that then down to the other... my only stand today where I cleared all 8.Another fun stand was the one I think was titled "Crowdo" This was 2 clays fired from behind over your right side. First was steadier and second was FAST. Deceptively had more time to react that you thought looking at it and the first bird if shot soon enough left you in the right place to shoot the second. Make the first an easier shot by taking later and you'd have to pull back to take the second bird which was moving that quick you didn't then have time to reverse your direction? Smart stuff...Stand #9 was a L-R crosser midi then a R-L crosser std with the second bird coming from where the first bird went into the trees. Different sized clays made them look like they where the same distance, they weren't hence lead adjustments obviously needed. Similar trick here, take bird 1 late to leave yourself in the right spot for bird 2 else bird 2 starts dropping and becomes a more challenging shot?High Pheasants, 2 driven birds from the front crossing above and to the left of the shooter seemed to be catching a lot of experienced shots out.Thoughts - maybe "squadding" people up for big shoots and organising routes and start times would be more efficient?I'd shoot something like this twice a year, queues and driving time would prevent me from doing it more often (in that order)! I think I've rabbled on, sorry! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif

shootclay admin said:

Nice shooting Chester - I hear so many good things about Hodnet, and this short review has confirmed it - I'm heading up at the first opportunity to shoot and review the place.
Thoroughly recommend it Matt - half a dozen people had told me to get over there hence why I took the 3 hour drive. Was worth it! Chesterse mentioned a couple of positives I missed out, hidden traps where excellent!

Dont put yourself down Jon, a "soft" shoot would put half a dozen on you score if you are struggling to hit 50% putting 15 or so on means the concentrating on hold points etc is paying off and you are listening and learning at any lessons you are having! Well done mate/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif Seconded on a trip up there for a shoot, there are many that rate Hodnet as the "Mecca of sporting" and judging by the reviews this is probably not far off!

hijon the stand you refer to has being shot but showing no scores (4), the marker used a pen which got washed away thoughout the rain . this happened to me and the scores were taken from the soggy master sheets.  a superb shoot which to be honest i cant fault. shame about the looooong wait on 9 , but it had to happen with 275 entries. jasper

Sounds like you all hade fun, shame I had to miss it. Hodnet hold a Cheshire police shoot in April I think which is open to guests to shoot also. This is normally a good shoot to attend so maybe there is a chance of a meet up for that in better weather hopefully. Well shot

jondont think it was soft when only 5 shooters scored 90+ out of 275 shooters. plenty of quality shots there too.jasper

Latest posts

Back