High Rib Sporters

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Alan Maughan

Guys,

I cant seem to find anything via the search facility so would ask if any members are using high ribs for sporting, Im not talking trap guns set up to shoot high but any of these sporters that still allow you to shoot flat but with a more elevated head position - if so how are you getting on with them?

Due to an accident years ago I have a relatively stiff neck and dont find it easy to touch my chest with my chin, as a result pushing my head forward and down over a standard rib isnt comfortable. When I bought my gun - Zoli Kronos - I felt I was seeing a fairly flat rib once I settled down onto the comb, the gun shop agreed after looking at me mounting the gun in my own time. I have now concluded that the truth is when I shoot I dont get down the same as I do when dry mounting with lots of time to settle in. I think this is much more to do with my comfort/inflexible neck than laziness and I feel a more upright shooting position would suit me better.

Im even wondering if I could just build or buy myself an adjustable rib and then tinker with it until I get it shooting where Im looking on a pattern plate. I should add I have an engineering background and full access to a machine shop.

Thanks

Al

here ya go chap http://www.shootclayforum.com/topic/3486-high-rib-guns/page__hl__high

I started a year or so ago and was carrying a neck problem, with a head up style helping. I now own a half rib perazzi with Monte Carlo stock and most people say it way to high for them. I am 5'7" normal neck etc. So I know it must be fairly high as a 6 footer said today its to high for him. I hit everything with it ( except the 16 long crossers today - user error and a lost top 3 finish doh!).

I would also watch the cartridges as i have moved to White gold classics ( champions choice) and they are very smooth which has all but rid me of any post shot pain, the smoother the cartridge the better I found.

Jones adjuster might help to.

Im thinking af buying something like this and adapting it to fit my Zoli Kronos in combination with an adjustable comb conversion.

Adjustable Rib

I wonder if anyone has done this or hightened their own rib in some other way themselves?

Last edited:
I started a year or so ago and was carrying a neck problem, with a head up style helping. I now own a half rib perazzi with Monte Carlo stock and most people say it way to high for them. I am 5'7" normal neck etc. So I know it must be fairly high as a 6 footer said today its to high for him. I hit everything with it ( except the 16 long crossers today - user error and a lost top 3 finish doh!).

I would also watch the cartridges as i have moved to White gold classics ( champions choice) and they are very smooth which has all but rid me of any post shot pain, the smoother the cartridge the better I found.

Jones adjuster might help to.
If there is potential for recoil related stress to your neck, you don't need a Jones adjuster...you need a Recoil System ISIS 2.

Im thinking af buying something like this and adapting it to fit my Zoli Kronos in combination with an adjustable comb conversion.

Adjustable Rib

I wonder if anyone has done this or hightened their own rib in some other way themselves?
If it were my problem I'd experiment with balsa wood, cardboard, foam and masking tape before getting the angle grinder out. Also, how sure are you that your stance & mount are otherwise correct, because you shouldn't really need to be "pushing my head forward and down over a standard rib". A good example would be Ed Solomons who mounts his gun very low in the shoulder but doesn't scrunch his head and neck down.

If it were my problem I'd experiment with balsa wood, cardboard, foam and masking tape before getting the angle grinder out. Also, how sure are you that your stance & mount are otherwise correct, because you shouldn't really need to be "pushing my head forward and down over a standard rib". A good example would be Ed Solomons who mounts his gun very low in the shoulder but doesn't scrunch his head and neck down.
Thanks for the suggestion of a temporary rib, I had considered that, balsa is probably best.

My stance has been looked at by an instructor and also a couple of friends who are experienced and good shots, so far they have all said everything looks right when I dry mount in my own time but one of them noticed that when shooting live my head isnt going to the same place - I put this down to comfort.

Im a full-time professional instructor in a different sporting field and I get good results with clients who are 'not always conventional' in how they do things, this is usually to do with a non-typical posture or an ailment preventing them adopting the more recognised method. I look to work with what they can do comfortably rther than force them to do what is seen as conventional while still getting the same desired end result. Im thinking that the high rib will make my shooting position more comfotable for me and therefor more easily repeatable.

Im new to shotguns but have a lot of rifle experience and Ive always made the gun fit me rather than the other way around, I was concerned about high ribs altering the POI but it appears to not be a problem with ribs adjusted for sporters rather than dedicated trap disciplines.

Last edited:
Have you looked at the possibility of moving the butt plate/pad down. (or making a rough one) This would raise the whole gun 'up' when mounted into your shoulder. Not a permanent fix but may give you another option. Just an idea, before it gets shot down in flames!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suffer with neck/shoulder problems and think that gun fit is critical to my shooting 'comfort'.

I need quite a high comb at face, but if I shoot with a trap type stock without much drop at heel then I get knocked about and very stiff in the neck/shoulder very quickly - probably because I push my neck forward. If I shoot with the same measurement at face, but with more drop at heel then I dont push my neck forward so far and that seems to help minimise the recoil problems. A slight monte carlo suits me well. I also make sure I use soft cartridges.

I tried a high rib Guerini sporter at a Chatcombe open day last year and it was the most comfortable gun I have ever shot. The high head position was a revelation. However the overall weight (9lb ish) is a problem for me.

Ano consideration (as Skeet UK suggested) is a recoil reducer. I have an Isis unit on my gun and it is fantastic. They don't destroy the balance of the gun as they are made from lightweight polymer.....highly recommended.

hope this helps.

Thanks for your help and input guys.

I should have added that the gun currently has a Gracoil reducer on it with an adjustable butt plate, I already have this set up with about 1" of drop at the plate so in effect giving the Monte Carlo effect/feel, I guess the answer is to make a balsa rib and try it.

I seem to be of the opinion that I will only get what I want from an adjustable rib in combination with an adjustable comb - thats the tinkerer in me coming out but it hasnt always been a bad thing in the past.

Last edited:
Might be an idea to see a good gun fitter. He will be able to advise you on the best way to proceed. :wink:

Back