Pre mounting sporting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There will a number of traps on a (most) CPSA 100 bird shoots which cannot be shot gun down. The setters know you can shoot gun up and so set the course to test all options. Gun up or gun down is just another question to ask the shooter. We are along way from shooting clays as though they are birds - as soon as there are clays that can speed up it might be possible to go back in time !!
I do recall a FITASC at Southdown one time, where there was a trap right in front of the shooters, throwing a no-spring going away that just flopped 8 yards out and sunk like a stone. The whole squad missed it. Would have been easy gun up.

We shoot a lot of Fitasc Combined Game shooting, that includes Game Trench - trap,  eleven metres behind the front line of the trap machine(s). The clay target trajectory is sixty metres, plus or minus five metres, with a maximum angle of 35° (thirty-five degrees) on the left and right of the installation axis.

Fitasc gun down rule is imposed with reason - to make it harder 🙂 - still - if you cant hit at least 23/25 your chances of being near the top ar nill. Usually only 25s witha 24 here and there get to the podium. Much can be hit with low gun, but it is undoubtedly harder.

Fitasc Sporting is shot with gun down while Fitasc Compak can be shot with gun up, so to be at the top one has to master both.

While I don't care about the down/up rule as long it is within rules, I find it highly amusing watching some of our friends from over the pond executing complex pre-shot routine on non-Fitasc shoots 🙂

While I don't care about the down/up rule as long it is within rules, I find it highly amusing watching some of our friends from over the pond executing complex pre-shot routine on non-Fitasc shoots 🙂

And they only have 15 seconds to call for the target 

Help please . I think I've done something wrong. I've only.managed to hit 91 ex 100 today. All gun up . Heeeeeeeeelp.
Eagerly awaiting an expert.
🤔🤫🫢🤣
Jasper.

Help please . I think I've done something wrong. I've only.managed to hit 91 ex 100 today. All gun up . Heeeeeeeeelp.
Eagerly awaiting an expert.
🤔🤫🫢🤣
Jasper.
So you missed 9, perhaps if you mastered shooting gun out of the shoulder you would have hit them 🤷🏼‍♂️

I do recall a FITASC at Southdown one time, where there was a trap right in front of the shooters, throwing a no-spring going away that just flopped 8 yards out and sunk like a stone. The whole squad missed it. Would have been easy gun up.
So, if FITASC, how did they know to face in the correct trap direction GUN UP or not?
Sorry only shot FITASC on the Continent and Mediterranean.

There are indicator boards to let you know where the traps are, and if the ref is half decent they will tell you what the clay is doing

Probably because they've just seen the targets 👍
TBH sounds like cluster waiting to happen.

As on old, retired but never bold RCO I say - Never expect the obvious safety implication to be obvious to everyone else; especially if they are having to shoot "out of their skins" to keep in contact with the top guys in a competition or a first time learner with a single cartridges..people do unfortunate things.

Am I missing something here ? What obvious safety implication ? When I was a wage slave I’d often arrange to visit customers who were adjacent to mid week FITASC sporting shoots I wanted to enter ( as did 90% of the other guns ;) ) , As I remember it the first shooter on a rotation would see the birds from the marked shooting position , even ask to see one again if they weren’t sure . Only then would they load the gun and call for the target . So where is the safety issue ? The others on the squad were behind the shooter watching the sequence (often pointing at targets with fingers ) . As would be the Referee with the buttons , always in a safe position . As there were only a handful of people out on the layout supervised by the ref it’s probably a lot safer than a day out on an unsupervised pay and play ‘ .

Latest posts

Back