Tramlines Who?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryTibbs

I own a Mk38 Sporter which has tramlines that run down the top rib, which i find helps with gun mount and making sure im centred along with the mid bead of course. What other manufactures use tramlines on their top ribs, as I'm struggling to find alternatives?

Last edited:
I have absolutely no idea what the rib on my gun looks like. I’ve shot 17000 cartridges through it. Once you’re happy you are lined up and slightly above it you should never see it again. All focus in your sight picture is out there on the clays.

I have absolutely no idea what the rib on my gun looks like. I’ve shot 17000 cartridges through it. Once you’re happy you are lined up and slightly above it you should never see it again. All focus in your sight picture is out there on the clays.
It maybe that the others I have tried have no mid bead, which is causing the 'not sure if it's in the right place' quandary.

I have a Franchi Barrage Trap and that has a bright red line down the tramlines on the rib. Took a bit of getting used to though, I kept waiting for the 'green' light to appear before pulling the trigger ! 😊

Would strongly disagree with that. Looking at the gun is imperative some shots I’d see the gun more than the clay.

Would strongly disagree with that. Looking at the gun is imperative some shots I’d see the gun more than the clay.
Ben, I’d bet the sort of shots you’re talking are close targets? Perhaps rabbits? With less lead needed the gun is necessarily far more in sight with the target but surely the FOCUS bias is on the clay every time.

Ben, I’d bet the sort of shots you’re talking are close targets? Perhaps rabbits? With less lead needed the gun is necessarily far more in sight with the target but surely the FOCUS bias is on the clay every time.
Most definitely not mate. I wouldn’t take a shot without looking at barrel Thai is how I get my method and lead the perfect inch.

Ben I have a question. When you say, quote:- "lead the perfect inch"? Does that mean you see lead in inches at the barrel as opposed to feet out there at the target?
Probably means inch perfect as in accurate and repeatable.

Whilst trying not to sound abrasive, your reply isn't anything to do with what I have asked. Im not fussed on your mount picture, or the number of carts put through your shotgun. I asked what brands have tramlines on the top rib. A common theme on the forum is threads moving out of what the op has asked. Can we kindly stay on topic.

Whilst trying not to sound abrasive, your reply isn't anything to do with what I have asked. Im not fussed on your mount picture, or the number of carts put through your shotgun. I asked what brands have tramlines on the top rib. A common theme on the forum is threads moving out of what the op has asked. Can we kindly stay on topic.
I never try and sound abrasive myself, so I share your concern. Apologies if I sounded dismissive but my concern for your most productive next steps are the reason I’m on a forum. I merely was trying to impart the idea (with a fair amount of experience) that the idea of concentrating on the clay is paramount and that any wasted energy spent on small rib detail probably doesn’t assist you. Trust me, I wasted tons of time on flat ribs and such when I started. We will always see the rib/ muzzle. We need to. But mental focus on the clay is paramount IMO.

I can understand the interest in tramlines and it's (perhaps) a personal thing. I'm sure someone with better knowledge of how our eyes are drawn to lines would be helpful here. Personally I like them but equally it doesn't mean it's made a difference to my scores or numbers.

In terms of the question - Brownings & Mirokus usually have them, my 694 Ltd (edited to confirm that for SBL) has one (one of the reason I bought the Ltd Ed) and the Blaser F3 has a pattern on the rib to mimic one but its not very good at all (to me). I have a 682 Gold (Not Gold E) which has one (circa late 90's) and a Gold E & 686E which do not. I am not sure whether they are costly to manufacture a but a simple question whether one can be added at a later date got a NO from a gunsmith that should know. Can't immediately think of a game gun with one.

Good idea to pull the thread back on topic but also not a bad thing to let it drift - it's easy to think something matters when it might not.

I am shooting an old gun, in fact a 'vintage' model. It does not have any tramlines on the rib.......... I suspect that Dr. Beeching was around when the gun was made ! 😉

We seem to be comparing apples to oranges here. Just how the the barrels influence our subconscious aiming has always been a hotly debated subject.

That wasn't the issue here because the OP said the tramlines "it helps with gun mount." To me, that sounded as though the OP was relying on visual assurance to check that her mount was good (which is absolutely wrong), instead of tactile assurance that told her the gun was in the right place, which is the way it should be. That's why I responded and I speculate that's also why Will responded.

I also have a fair amount of experience. Unfortunately, it is often dismissed by many these days.

Last edited:
In terms of the question - Brownings & Mirokus usually have them, my 694 Ltd (edited to confirm that for SBL) has one (one of the reason I bought the Ltd Ed) and the Blaser F3 has a pattern on the rib to mimic one but its not very good at all (to me). I have a 682 Gold (Not Gold E) which has one (circa late 90's) and a Gold E & 686E which do not. I am not sure whether they are costly to manufacture a but a simple question whether one can be added at a later date got a NO from a gunsmith that should know. Can't immediately think of a game gun with one.

Perazzi sporting barrels have tramlines as did a lot of the Nikko/Winchesters of the past.

I think wisemanshave been known remove the wide motorway trap ribs that were popular 40 years ago on Browning B25's and replace with the now more desirable narrow game rib.
They may be able to fit one with a tram line.

Latest posts

Back