high pheasants which cartridge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nigel said:

frig I didn't know/remember it went to the bin, they were 6's I used, was the second bird I shot that day wrecked too - it's a lot closer ? 
i didnt say it went to the bin, it went to the dog. and the other one was nowhere near as bad cos it was quartering of you and wasnt hit right in the middle of pattern. the one you wrecked was turning across you and opened his whole body to you and you middled it in the chest

Totally agree with glenn,not interested in shooting 30 yard birds i've been to many so called high bird shoots in wales,england and scotland and to be honest most were not what i'd call a high bird shoot maybe on odd drive might be but not the whole shoot. This shoot however is just that,i can,t really describe how high they are other than one example where your stood on the side of a hill with a pylon in front,the foot of the pylon is way up the bank above you and the birds are flying over the top wire,and before anyone starts saying shouldn,t be shooting at  that range,  they do come down as i fired 11 sots for 6 birds 5 stone dead one runner,all picked,three quarter and full choke,36 grm 4.5s,mind you the height they fell from might have killed them!when we first booked we were told by the keeper not to shoot any thing less than 36 grm,and i thought yea'yea as i never shoot more than 32 grm,but he was right,they only sell a few days a year as there's a syndicate on there.

Express Supremes 6 & 5 nothing wrong with them at all. I also think that 32grams is enough shot.

Oh it is good to see so many for 32 grms 5's and 6's:))))))))))))))))))))

The bigger the better ay! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

If we are talking about high pheasants Miltons, Haddeo et al, then 34/36/40 gram No.4 are a requirement. End of. All this 32 gram No.5 nonsense is just not up to it I'm afraid, it won't kill the high birds effectively and consistently, too many pricked birds to be picked up half a mile away.Big shot, a lot of it and plenty of choke. Oh, and a certain degree of skill to put it in the right place also helps!

wylye said:

If we are talking about high pheasants Miltons, Haddeo et al, then 34/36/40 gram No.4 are a requirement. End of. All this 32 gram No.5 nonsense is just not up to it I'm afraid, it won't kill the high birds effectively and consistently, too many pricked birds to be picked up half a mile away.Big shot, a lot of it and plenty of choke. Oh, and a certain degree of skill to put it in the right place also helps!
Sorry wylye i might be a bit dull here but what does miltons mean,also haddeo et al.But your totally right about about 32grm not being enough,a few of us tried them before going on to the 36 grms,and some of these guys shoot 40 plus days a year and can certainly shoot.

Problem is Ian most on here do not know what 'high' is! If they did we wouldn't be having this thread!These are real shoots and yes if you turnt up with 28gram 6's it would be laughable!However on the average run of the mill shoots you can get away with lighter loads and higher shot sizes because the birds are sh*t! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

Ray Hillyer's probably has some of the highest birds I know of and I guess Jason Rayners place for the duck days is up there as well these can get as high as you want! ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
GlenPresley said:

Problem is Ian most on here do not know what 'high' is! If they did we wouldn't be having this thread!These are real shoots and yes if you turnt up with 28gram 6's it would be laughable!However on the average run of the mill shoots you can get away with lighter loads and higher shot sizes because the birds are sh*t!/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif
At last someone who believes me about the height of these pheasants/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif i didn't really want to get into a debate about 28,32 grm verses 36 grm just wanted to know the best fibre shell,if i could use plastic i wouldn't have even asked,i'd have used same shells as last year.AS you can imagine living in the hills of wales we have our fair share of reasonably high birds,but the shoot in question is in Scotland,we've been all over the country and quite often get into disputes for refusing to shoot at birds we consider not good enough,but on the flip side if we,ve had the shooting but not made the bag there's no argument.

i would love to witness the amazing feats of shooting on these "proper shoots". i would say the majority are wounded. i also think it is a little bit irresponsible to want to let game birds get as high as possible. a shotgun isnt a rocket launcher, i think you guys have forgotten that, no matter how heavy a load you want to throw into the air. thats just my opinion. if i want to be tested il go shoot at a clay, pheasants and all game deserve more respect i think, and a clean kill is the very least they should get. but thats the problem with these driven days, greed takes over

mick said:

i would love to witness the amazing feats of shooting on these "proper shoots". i would say the majority are wounded. i also think it is a little bit irresponsible to want to let game birds get as high as possible. a shotgun isnt a rocket launcher, i think you guys have forgotten that, no matter how heavy a load you want to throw into the air. thats just my opinion. if i want to be tested il go shoot at a clay, pheasants and all game deserve more respect i think, and a clean kill is the very least they should get. but thats the problem with these driven days, greed takes over
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////My god, I thought I was going mad for a minute. Absolutely spot on Mick, I don't care if you're in the top eleven in the country, if you shoot at birds that are soooooooooo bloody high you need 40 gram of 4's then you just maybe want to reconsider whether what you think is sporting is in fact sporting to the poor bastard living creature you so obviously don't give a sh*t about pricking.  If you shoot at birds that high there is no doubt whatsoever that a large percentage are going to be pricked and Glen's bollox argument about the same applying to 30 yarders is just childish, wishful thinking. Th more distance the higher the chance of wounding, period, end of, regardless of how experienced or egotistical you are. By your reckoning then surely the next step is shooting 135 yard pheasants with .22's? That really would take some skill methinks. Don't get too wound up like I did, after all it's just my opinion you understand.

mick said:

Well certainly poked a hornets nest here, as you say your perfectly entitled to your opinion,as i am to mine.There's no denying some birds are pricked,(but certainly not the majority) same as any shoot but one thing i will say is that the pickers up and the dogs are first class,and nearly all the drives are from game crops  or small woods on hills out over open fields making picking up a lot easier than if you were driving them from wood to wood where they could be lost in cover.Thats one of the first things i noticed when we first went there,the pickers up were stood well  in exess of a hundred yards behind the guns.As for the greed,we go for quality rather than quantity.

Optima and Glen. I am with you all the way.I am known in the game shooting arena for being very picky about who I shoot with and what is expected of those who join my days.I only shoot high bird shoots. I have no interest in low unsporting birds and I will not tolerate that type of shot on my days. That is why you will see that in The Field's Top 75 game shots they refer to me as a stickler for form. Trust me if I say the 5's and 6's work onhigh birds......... Because I do not shoot anything else!! (And I shoot them with a 34'' Perazzi 20bore with 32 grm cartridges.)On our shooots we pick all the birds because we have two teams of pickers up (one way back) we never loose birds because we know what we are doing.........we have been doing it for donkeys years!Disbelieve all you want..........it matters not to me.

You will find poor quality shots can do harm on the shoots which produce so called medioco birds! Fact! I have seen it. Basically I have seen it all poor shots shooting on shoots where they are clearly out of their league.The top shots go to the best shoots because that is what they want and they can shoot game and the greedy ones who want their monies worth!Childish? How much experience of game shooting do you have then Hammy? You always seem to make it personal at least Micky can have a respectable debate!You call me childish for having an opinion so I guess yours is the only one that can count then? Maybe just looking for a reaction like you usually do!I have spent my whole life wandering around, carrying my Dads gun as a nipper to shoots all over the country so I have had the luck of seeing the best of it in these cases. Those who can shoot shoot the best and it really is not rocket science.I don't want to take the site down a slagging route so maybe I should leave this thread. I can see this thread going down hill fast now, maybe it should be closed and maybe the game section should be closed permanently?It is a very passionate subject for all and this is where the problems occured on the other site.It becomes personal every time maybe it is for the better if it gets closed off. Glen.

Nicola said:

Optima and Glen. I am with you all the way. I am known in the game shooting arena for being very picky about who I shoot with and what is expected of those who join my days. I only shoot high bird shoots. I have no interest in low unsporting birds and I will not tolerate that type of shot on my days. That is why you will see that in The Field's Top 75 game shots they refer to me as a stickler for form. Trust me if I say the 5's and 6's work onhigh birds......... Because I do not shoot anything else!! (And I shoot them with a 34'' Perazzi 20bore with 32 grm cartridges.) On our shooots we pick all the birds because we have two teams of pickers up (one way back) we never loose birds because we know what we are doing.........we have been doing it for donkeys years! Disbelieve all you want..........it matters not to me. Can't be Nicola .....you have only been doing it how long???/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif How many days do you shoot a year again? Game days???? Maybe some should listen to that???/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

Right - if I close a thread, I'm over moderating. Have a hug, get over yourselves. It's the internet, not real life.

Yes Matt but when you have been involved with Game Shooting for a long number of years it does become personal it is your life and nobody can tell me something otherwise.If they have shot on X amount of big shoots for more than 10 years then maybe just maybe I will see their point of view. Game shooting is a touchy subject everybody has hard opinions and this is exactly what happened before!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back