Cartridge Advice for First Time Game

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod M

Hi All,

I'm doing a couple of days of walk-up shooting in Scotland in December. It's my first time, so looking for some advice on cartridges. I'm assuming I need somewhere in the 28-32 gram range and 5 or 6 shot size, but not at all sure exactly what to go for (I'd much prefer a single cartridge solution).

I'll be using a Beretta 687 game with 28" barrels and fixed 1/2 & 1/4 chokes if this makes a difference. I use 28g fBlacks for clays (usually use an mk38, but have practiced with the Beretta, which is the wife's) and find the recoil acceptable through the 687 given the number of shots that will likely be fired in the field

Would much appreciate advice on both the load and any specific cartridges; for the limited number I'll need cost isn't a huge concern, but obviously nothing too silly.

Many Thanks

Rod

Last edited by a moderator:
Walked up or driven game?

If its Fibres and std driven a 30gm 6 shot would more than suffice.

Big Stuff 32Gm 5's.  Realistically, you don't need more than that.  I shot my longest pheasant by far with a 20bore 28gm 6 shot fibre and killed it stone dead.

No real reason to go for 36gm 4 shot unless you are after stratospheric birds, but then again, tight chokes are better used for that.  

Any Fiocchi Game load will do in the above. 

For what its worth, my father as an ex-gamekeeper now says his favourite shell for crows and pigeons is F-black Sporting 28gm 8.5s...........and you should see him stone wall them out at range!!!!!  

Its pattern that counts.

Firstly I’m  back to game after a long  break , so I’m no  current cartridge expert . What I have found though is that an average pheasant or partridge  doesn’t know whether you have killed it with Eley Pigeon Select at £260 /1000 or  a £350/1000 high  pheasant special from  Eley , Hull, or Gamebore .   

Having said that it’s doubtful you’ll fire more than a few boxes in a couple of days walk up shooting,  so a hundred shells  would see you well on the safe side . If I’m going to plump for one , then let’s pick the Gamebore Black Gold  Game ( ordinary not Dark Storm ) in 30gm #6 . I find them smooth shooting ( Gordon Case system ? ) and effective .  They will cost you about £9.50 per 25 or around £90 a slab .  To save a few bob I’d go for Eley Pigeon Select again 30gm #6 . Both will kill anything it’s sporting to shoot at . 

The truth is every recommendation you get will do the job 

Thanks all. I'll look to pick up a slab of either Black Gold game or F3 game in 30g 6 shot.

I have used a few thousand Fiocchi FL28's in 6 shot, through my 6lbs 3ozs.  S x S English gun and found them to be very good on all but the highest of birds. In your heavier game gun, the FL30's should be acceptable recoil, but would suggest the 28's would be up to the job.

Walked up birds where they may be down wind and getting away I’d go with English 5, Gamebore Darkstorm in 30 gr ‘no 6’ are hard to beat

I heard this said many moons ago ...you can shoot crap pheasants with good shells, but you seldom shoot good pheasants with crap shells ,?? tried and tested 32g 4-5-6s dependant on range and choke ,covers all but the real extreme stuff ?? where 34-36g mentally help ,  not much out there 36g 4's dont bring down when put correctly up in front of target !!

On a 'walked up'  day yesterday, I used 25 gram 6's  in my 20 bore,  to pretty good effect. I had 1/4 and 1/2 chokes
A very knowledgable gentleman told me that the best pattern in a 20g comes from a 25gram shell any more and your pattern is poor

A very knowledgable gentleman told me that the best pattern in a 20g comes from a 25gram shell any more and your pattern is poor
A shoot owner in Wales told me the same thing and he was right. My 20g Guerini shot best with Hull High Pheasant 25g, I tried right up to 28 and 30 g with deleterious effect.

Last week in Wales an American turned up with a 28 bore and he (unsurprisingly) struggled on the highest birds ! There was talk of next time him trying 30g thru' the gun.....

Back to the original question; I'd go for 30 gram 5 shot for going away birds. Hull Imperial is a nice low recoil cartridge that doesn't break the bank.

Latest posts

Back