Cartridge Storage

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Hi folks,

I'm having some push back from my wife about having a gun in the house. She can't pinpoint what it is, and I think its just lack of exposure to the healthy side of gun sports and too much bad press.

I'm winning her round slowly but I was wondering how you all store your cartridges? I'm thinking that might be a way to ease her in, despite the fact that they're the dangerous bit!

Do you all have separate cabinets for cartridges, or is a cupboard somewhere safe enough for you? I have a small daughter and a curious teenager so it will definitely be a locked option for me.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi folks,

I'm having some push back from my wife about having a gun in the house. She can't pinpoint what it is, and I think its just lack of exposure to the healthy side of gun sports and too much bad press.

I'm winning her round slowly but I was wondering how you all store your cartridges? I'm thinking that might be a way to ease her in, despite the fact that they're the dangerous bit!

Do you all have separate cabinets for cartridges, or is a cupboard somewhere safe enough for you? I have a small daughter and a curious teenager so it will definitely be a locked option for me.

Thanks for any advice.
It really is about whatever you can set up. I’m lucky enough to have a very small room dedicated to guns and kit, but it’s kept unlocked.

Cartridges are NOT dangerous (unless you’re talking really silly conduct) until you put them in a gun, so just keep the guns locked away with hidden key as you should. Show the family some you tube videos of kids and ladies shooting under proper conditions. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine are in a metal office type cabinet (lockable). Try to get the wife to go to a 'proper' shooting ground (Not drag her to a local club on a Sunday) and see if she would like an 'introduction course' with one of the instructors (or yourself if your able enough?) You should educate your children about cartridges and firearms so they KNOW right from wrong. I used to wander around the fields with a .410 and some cartridges in a pocket when i was 8, rabbit and pigeon shooting. Gun safety and handling was drummed into me at an early age!!!

Point out to the lady that currently she is the biggest danger and make her attend the CPSA shotgun skills course. Then she will know all about safety. Send the children too. 

There are more hair straightener injuries in UK homes each year than gun or cartridge injuries. 

Can really relate to this, my wife is from a non shooting background and was terrified of having guns in the house. I’ve grown up with guns with immediate and wider family shooters, so I learnt safe gun handling from an early age and really struggled with my wife’s view on this. When our kids were in their early teens they did a CPSA course which taught them correct safe handling. This helped acceptance of shooting/gun ownership as a safe “normal” pastime for the whole family. Cartridge storage for us is in the garage in a unlocked wooden cabinet, because my kids are familiar with them there isn’t any curiosity towards them.

It is quite warm in there plus can’t afford high brass cartridges!!!!

It helps to live in a democracy... After 49 years married I accept my wife's judgement and she accepts mine. But a conversation always helps - even if it's after the fact. Explain that guns and ammo don't hurt people and that it's people who hurt people. Point out that you've been vetted by the police and your SGC is proof that you pose no risk and are deemed safe to buy ammo and keep guns at home.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Thankfully she knows I'm not a risk with a gun, I'm more risk adverse than she is!

It's the fact that she can't pin down her unease, makes it hard to counter it! I'm sure with more time and exposure it will just become the norm.

Good shout on the safety course though, I'll see if the CPSA have one up here. If not my local clay ground do a safety passport, that was my first real effort into the sport.

I was the same many years ago. Phil had a go at clay shooting and loved it, wanted the gun etc.  I was adamant we were not having guns in the house etc. Had never handled one or even seen one tbh.  I was happy for him to shoot but not have the stuff in the house.  As a compromise I had a proper lesson which taught me the basics and safety etc.  Missed the first target, hit the second and by the end of the hour I was hooked!  Now, many years later it’s a hobby we both enjoy and can do together (even if it does cost a fortune for both).

As she’s so nervous I would keep the cartridges and the guns in separate areas, keep the key to the gun cabinet in a safe, secure place that only you know about that way if the curious children think about having a look etc they can’t open it.  

As others have said, do a “family” fun day out on a safety course and take them to watch a shoot, ie the British Open where it will be run with proper refs, CPSA will be there and hopefully it will put her mind at ease that guns are safe in the right hands. Also stress to her that the fact you have a licence means you have been properly vetted, your house has been checked etc and that you will have to be a good boy or they will take it all off you!  Good luck.

Put them in a locked cabinet (it´s a law here anyway) to show her that you are serious about safety.  So the gun is not that "dangerous" without the cartridges.

And perhaps you find a friendly female trainer for her to get in touch with the sport.

Some words have to be said by others than the husband to believe them.

Back