Health and safety gone mad!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No idea what that is from iphone, but it looks painful.

Keep taking the tablets lad.....i am sure you will feel better soon :laugh:

Right...!! 

'WHO'......woke him up....??

Here are some comments I would like to make. Firstly, I was with some one at a competition. He was standing sideways on in the queue talking to me with his gun over his shoulder . Space was limited. A group who had just shot came past and knocked his gun off his shoulder. It landed on the gravel which resulted in quite a lot of damage. It would seem that holding the barrel when the gun is over your shoulder does not give much control if the gun is pushed.

Secondly , I understand that the sweat from the hand can damage the blue on the barrel on some guns.Finally I have been hit on the head by the but of a gun carried over the shoulder several times. It does happen more often than you think!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some comments I would like to make. Firstly, I was with some one at a competition. He was standing sideways on in the queue talking to me with his gun over his shoulder . Space was limited. A group who had just shot came past and knocked his gun off his shoulder. It landed on the gravel which resulted in quite a lot of damage. It would seem that holding the barrel when the gun is over your shoulder does not give much control if the gun is pushed.

Secondly , I understand that the sweat from the hand can damage the blue on the barrel on some guns.Finally I have been hit on the head by the but of a gun carried over the shoulder several times. It does happen more often than you think!

I rest my case.

That's not annoying, it's potentially dangerous, you're saying you often witness people take a gun off a rack or out of a slip and not break it immediately? What and they just walk around with it for a minute or two, have you reported this to the shoot organiser or at the very least have a gentle word with them?

I have seen hundreds of shooters use automatics without flags in absolute safety, but also seen the odd flag bearer fumble around clearly not in tune with his routine yet - I know which one I'd share a round with.
No nothing of the sort. Just that it was drilled into me that when you pull a shotgun out of a slip as soon as the action clears the slip you break it and the same when putting it away. Likewise from a rack break it as soon as you lift it . They don’t walk around with a closed gun but just don’t seem to have the same urgency about making their weapon safe as quickly as possible.

Hahahaaha

Does not happen that often in trap......darlings :laugh:

Maybe the spooooortiiiiistaaaas are more clumsy  :smile:

Over the shoulder for me.....  xx

P1Fanatic I know and understand exactly what you meant in your post.......and i agree with you. 

Some on here like to spin what is said into crap and more crap until finally it does not resemble anything worth discussing any more. They just think that they are being amusing. 

Don't worry most threads end up this way.

As it happens, I have just had a call from someone who is researching forums at the minute. I filled him in with the type of characters that you get on them and some of their predictable behaviour and also what their types of day jobs are :smile: seen during my relatively few years on several of them.   :laugh:
As a relatively new member here I do get that feeling already.

Hang on in there matey.....it is typical for forums......

There are loads on here who can helps with various different / interesting things.....so keep posting and enjoying the site.

Most of the toughies are nothing like that 'in real life face to face'.....or so they tell me. 

Some definitely do look shorter in real life than you imagine from their on line persona. 

:laugh:

No nothing of the sort. Just that it was drilled into me that when you pull a shotgun out of a slip as soon as the action clears the slip you break it and the same when putting it away. Likewise from a rack break it as soon as you lift it . They don’t walk around with a closed gun but just don’t seem to have the same urgency about making their weapon safe as quickly as possible.
Well it was drilled into me never to load a gun whilst clay shooting unless literally about to shoot yet it's OK to load and wait several people's turns it seems when shooting Trap and also seems OK to change stations with a loaded gun (I'm not judging, merely stating established fact as I have the ability and maturity to accept it is perfectly possible to do so whilst remaining safe) but a Sportisttttttttaaaaaaa is judged incapable of knowing whether the gun he is withdrawing from the slip is actually empty - which it is. Double standards maybe?

You will soon learn to ignore those posts that are not constructive but I firmly believe that if you give, be it jokes or sensible comment, you will develop an online persona  that is respected even if you are a newbie and you then attract the most useful of helpful advice from the experts when you seek advice.

Well it was drilled into me never to load a gun whilst clay shooting unless literally about to shoot yet it's OK to load and wait several people's turns it seems when shooting Trap and also seems OK to change stations with a loaded gun (I'm not judging, merely stating established fact as I have the ability and maturity to accept it is perfectly possible to do so whilst remaining safe) but a Sportisttttttttaaaaaaa is judged incapable of knowing whether the gun he is withdrawing from the slip is actually empty - which it is. Double standards maybe?
Did anyone else understand this post. Not sure if it is a moan a la sportisssssta......or not .....and I have now lost who has said what to who....but.......if it is still worrying you Hampster......and I am not sure which bit.......why not put it in a letter to HQ and tell them how it would be best to run the safety guidelines. I am sure they will be as interested as I am when I work out what you are trying to say.

I was not talking to you Nicola, I was addressing a post made by P1Fanatic, you seem to have difficulty comprehending  things that aren't quite going your way. When someone comes up with arguments that make a mockery of yours you seem to post nonsensical stuff to try and cloud the issue. 

I was not talking to you Nicola, I was addressing a post made by P1Fanatic, you seem to have difficulty comprehending  things that aren't quite going your way. When someone comes up with arguments that make a mockery of yours you seem to post nonsensical stuff to try and cloud the issue. 
I did not say for one minute that you were....I was just saying that I did not understand it....I have been reading and contributing to this thread. I am sorry if you seem to be upset. I am even more confused by this post. I am not sure who is making a mockery? How strange how some people read posts. I am sure that all on here reading the thread will understand that there are many ways to carry guns....all of which are safe.

I am also not sure why you think a trap shooter cannot walk in a straight line for one meter with a loaded shotgun without being a safety issue, but maybe that is just a temperament thing.

However do not worry explaining yourself it if upsets you so......it really is not that important.

Psssssst Campers.....for goodness sake don't let him know about station 8 OSK........or this could go on and on and on and on.....!!

Remember Trapistaaaaaas do it with style......'over the shoulder' :smile:

You don't read things carefully enough maybe Nicola ?

You don't read things carefully enough maybe Nicola ?
Well dear, I am struggling to be sure....I am still trying to work out what 'you' mean by maturity.....and then translate the rest of it......and in the middle of a rather good Poirot.....but don't worry I will keep at it.

(But no need to shout dear or make big writing ....I am using my spectacles ).

Now......did I mention how Trapisstaaaaas can walk and chew gun with a gun placed elegantly over the shoulder...?

Well dear, I am struggling to be sure....I am still trying to work out what 'you' mean by maturity.....and then translate the rest of it......and in the middle of a rather good Poirot.....but don't worry I will keep at it.

(But no need to shout dear or make big writing ....I am using my spectacles ).

Now......did I mention how Trapisstaaaaas can walk and chew gun with a gun placed elegantly over the shoulder...?
Jeez, those tarpies must be tough buggers.

They have to chew gum, its the only thing happening thats remotely exciting on a trap layout

They Know where they have to stand Every time

They know where the birds are coming from every time

The know the Height speed angle etc every time

They know how to carry their guns because they get so much practice standing in line

They know how really basic and boring the discipline is so they adopt affectations such as carrying a gun over the shoulder

They think they know, this makes them look cool

They know a lot we hedgemonkeys dont thats for sure,

I am a NEWBIE to shooting so can only comment on what I see or think and being a pure hedgemonkey my opinion is of course not really valid

What would I know about Trap shooting ???

Latest posts

Back