Health and safety gone mad!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P.s. Except when shooting game.....

Then 'my man' really does carry it :smile:

Health and safety numpties at work I can just about tolerate,ones that interfere with my hobbies I cannot,these armchair warriors should get a life

I always carry mine over the shoulder like a true trappissssstaaaaa.
And I do not give a flying fig if anyone does not like it.
If anyone walks into my stock.....they should have gone to specksavers..... :laugh:
I'm going to Specsavers tomorrow!

this culture of risk aversion is getting out of hand....popped into my local garage the other day and they were fixing the coffee machine....they had put barriers up to keep people back and the two guys were wearing white coats with hi viz jackets over the top (this is indoors remember....and hard hats!!!!!!!! PATHETIC!! i dont think they liked the fact i couldnt stop myself from laughing at them....

when we still worked the farm we just got things done....without any hi viz jackets, hard hats or silly people with clip boards!!

Health & Safety legislation did not just happen, who created it? His he now a Lord?

Where did all this nonsense stem from?

What was a tad disappointing is that PULL actually printed the letters, afraid there's always some that will write /complain about such things but there's no need to have printed them.

Health & Safety legislation did not just happen, who created it? His he now a Lord?

Where did all this nonsense stem from?
Evolved over time, definately a good thing in the early days, but seems to have gone a tad beyond what it was intended for.

I was in a classic working machinery club, where we were secretly visited by a H&S official at our annual working rally and wondered if there was any knowledge of any such visits having taken place at any clay club/shooting ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they were to pay a working visit to a clayshoot we would be 'doomed', contravening the machinery guarding guidelines alone.

Is anyone aware of any Health and Safety visits to a clay shoot?  If so, were there any safety issues raised?  If no members of the public are admitted, perhaps there is no need for H & S to "look in".

Well I hope if one happens at Kelbrook they notice the tweed clad w@nk3r who has no idea of gun safety and pointed his closed gun twice at people.

As much as I agree with the above comments and things have gone way too far, we must do something about the idiots with no comprehension of the fact that they are handling a gun.

I think it's only a matter of time before there is a bad accident and we will all moan about the consequences.

O

Just curious, if you saw him do that once why did you not tell him that he's not safe, before he did it again?

There are a lot of shooters out there who are not consious about where their muzzles are pointing, tell them or tell the ground owner.

I was at Kelbrook last year and there was a bloke watching his son shoot, I'd say that the lad was about twelve years old, he was shooting over the lake where there is no cage, the lad fired two shots at a clay and missed, he loaded the gun then turned around and pointed it us. I tried to keep calm and told him to turn around which he did, ever so slowly, I then walked up to him and took the gun off him and unloaded it.

I then gave him and his Father a bollocking about how someone could have been killed, I was then accused of spoiling his son's day out buy upsetting him. :no:

Meggy was told about this and I've never seen them at Kelbrook since.

I didn't at the time, but with hindsight I should have said something. I was really a bit lost for words to be honest!

You are totally right though, people like that need telling. I just need to remain calm and polite about it!!!

That's the difficult part, keeping calm. A good start is to say "excuse me but do you realise your gun is closed" etc;

I know I feel like wrapping it around their neck sometimes but I do try my best to be pleasant and polite.

I also carry my gun over the shoulder quite a bit of the time. It avoids the possible collision of barrels in a crowded stand area.

Just curious, if you saw him do that once why did you not tell him that he's not safe, before he did it again?

There are a lot of shooters out there who are not consious about where their muzzles are pointing, tell them or tell the ground owner.

I was at Kelbrook last year and there was a bloke watching his son shoot, I'd say that the lad was about twelve years old, he was shooting over the lake where there is no cage, the lad fired two shots at a clay and missed, he loaded the gun then turned around and pointed it us. I tried to keep calm and told him to turn around which he did, ever so slowly, I then walked up to him and took the gun off him and unloaded it.

I then gave him and his Father a bollocking about how someone could have been killed, I was then accused of spoiling his son's day out buy upsetting him. :no:

Meggy was told about this and I've never seen them at Kelbrook since.
I dare say it would have spoilt the boys day a bit more if he had blown a hole in someone!!

This 'gun over the shoulder open' business is very bad and should not be encouraged. At a crowded shoot waiting for your turn, the last thing you want is a stock in the face from some uncaring, selfish, 6-foot bloke/woman with a broken gun over their shoulder instead of over their arm. Lets face it - its only good manners. Bit like putting your spent cases in the bin really. Consideration! Thats the word I was looking for.  

We live in hope.

Wylye,

" 6-foot bloke/woman with a broken gun over their shoulder"   Not a problem. That is way over my head.

It's the five footers who are the problem.

In a slip is far safer, unless your name is Hamster.

We had a visit around 3 years ago. The HSE officers first comments were about the dangerous sport they had come to inspect (mistake one). They then proceeded to inspect the ground the leads to traps the trap houses and the club house.

We heard the following: The leads from the buttons to the traps were in dangerous condition and were liable to give a severe electric shock following rabbit chew damage. Now bearing in mind that the chances of getting a belt from a 12 volt trap are nil and in any case, all button lines are zero volts, it was a fairly rash statement. The club house roof is asbestolux and has been in place since the 70's. We were told we could not drill it because of the risk of asbestos giving the whole world cancer. Why we would want to drill a perfectly good roof is anyone guess. They wanted notices put up on doors about access, Noise, rabbit holes, cartridge cases in bins (trip hazard) and clays on the ground. At no time did they mention traps or people with guns, which would have been your first observation if you had a brain. They were told in no uncertain terms to go forth into the wilderness at speed. They have never been seen again. We still keep tripping over the fried bunnies hanging off the button cables, the badgers that get into the UT layout, in direct disobedience to the sign on the door saying access to authorised personnel only and the odd gundog that jump the fences in direct contravenion to the No access to the public notices. I'm not sure how we managed to survive in the preceeding years since a notable visit by a pair of tossers. We think they came with a briefing from another idiot whose knowledge of shooting was comparable to a 3 year olds grasp of quantum physics.

So to those who think that HSE don't visit shooting grounds, think again. Be prepared!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
This 'gun over the shoulder open' business is very bad and should not be encouraged. At a crowded shoot waiting for your turn, the last thing you want is a stock in the face from some uncaring, selfish, 6-foot bloke/woman with a broken gun over their shoulder instead of over their arm. Lets face it - its only good manners. Bit like putting your spent cases in the bin really. Consideration! Thats the word I was looking for.  

We live in hope.
Cojones .....!!

:laugh:

Back